Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Fireforming a 30BR

As far as fireforming to expand the necks from 6mm to 30 has anyone done it with 1.510 chamber length? If so did you just trim the 6br brass to 1.500 before firing? Do you turn it first or afterwards?

Have been thinking about getting a used barrel to have chambered with my reamer put on a old remington action just for fireforming. What powder are you using for fireforming?

1.500 is good as the grow in length when forming without a bullet. I personally use a heavy dose of Bullseye with a wax or clay dab to seal it.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    1.500 is good as the grow in length when forming without a bullet. I personally use a heavy dose of Bullseye with a wax or clay dab to seal it.
    Do you turn the necks before or after? Also would it matter if the barrel is a 6mm or 30cal?

My purpose for fire forming first is to have a straighter neck. I don't care for expanding first on either caliber. I expand after the first fire forming and it doesn't work your necks as much.
    This is my experience, your's may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post

Having a big back end on these chambers is never a bad thing, though.

For what it's worth.... Al
    HOleee Krapp......somebody else said it. OUT LOUD!

ThanxAl
    al

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    HOleee Krapp......somebody else said it. OUT LOUD!

ThanxAl
    al

Yes sir, plus 2

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    HOleee Krapp......somebody else said it. OUT LOUD! ThanxAl al
    Yeah...people get way too hung up on "...minimal this and minimal that...." for every dimension.

While there certainly are areas that need this control, the case @ .200 ahead of the extractor groove and the body/shoulder junction aren't areas that you want to have too snug-ish relative to the chamber dimensions. Like a high maintenance female, there's nothing to gain and only trouble when it acts up.

Even a little bit of bulge at the back end doesn't bother me, if everything else is good. It's all about the sizing. Connect the dots to the high maintenance female reference...

Wrestlin' with the bolt and upsetting the gun in the bags while your condition is just hanging there and begging for a couple more to get sent down range is when the light bulb usually goes on.

Like 'The Dude' says in the video link below....just my opinion. Good shootin'. -Al

https://youtu.be/pWdd6_ZxX8c
    Last edited by Al Nyhus; 06-24-2021 at 07:38 AM.

About the hard bolt lift: solved the problem. Since I only have a low budget, I built a custom rifle on a Savage Action and after searching if other savage owners had run into this problem, I worked on the bolt and lifting is less of a problem now. I slowly understand now why most benchrest shooters go for more expensive actions. Until I can afford a more expensive custom rifle, I'll keep working on fine tuning my reloading technique and my shooting skills. Benchrest.com sure is of huge help to me, I couldn't get ahead without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    Yeah...people get way too hung up on "...minimal this and minimal that...." for every dimension.

Like 'The Dude' says in the video link below....just my opinion. Good shootin'. -Al

https://youtu.be/pWdd6_ZxX8c
    lol

I despised that movie 20yrs ago

Started liking it 10yrs ago

Now it makes me giggle