Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fireforming a 30BR

Quote Originally Posted by danyboy View Post
    Larry,
    Sorry for digging out such an old topic but when you say 'make sure you trim the cases first', do you mean length wise or neck thickness wise ?
    Thanks,
    danyboy
    There is absolutely NO SUCH THING as "an old topic" sir.....

And since I was THERE when this was being discussed, I can reply in the first person.

Larry meant LENGTH

His contention was that a too-long neck being slapped out would hammer/warp/dent/distort/fold/spindle/mutilate the area at the end of the neck where the too-long neck hit OUTSIDE THE NECK, or beyond the recessed neck cutout, ie where it impinged upon the freebore section of the chamber.

I'm perfectly aware of this because I'd been doing it ON PURPOSE with custom chambers as a shortcut to finding chamber length. (casting new chambers is a pita and I'm always in a hurry)

So I TESTED IT.

And Larry was RIGHT and I haven't done it since while I DO still blow out lotsa' lotsa' (Got 1000 30 Luger cases in the mail just yesterday, got to turn them into 9MM for my kids)

I felt like Such a Foo'..... as here I've always been the guy preaching "Barrel steel is dead soft!!" and "Even BRONZE will scratch barrel steel" and "you can deform a barrel with your fingernail" and on and onandon....

And YET I was cracking the copper whip, suh-LAPPING massive metal down acros't a delicate edge.....

I pus'd up

Larry saved my hide

And now it's just dead easy.....times have changed. The ChiComs came out with a sphincter 'specter for 50 clams

And while I own a thousand freaking dalars of Hawkeye diligence, I never use it.

for 50 bucks get a Teslong and freaking LOOK AT IT!

EVERYBODY needs a Teslong..... everybody.

I have 5

(He!!, Casey Jones only has two!)

trim based on the KNOWN NECK LENGTH.
    no sense creation a spot for a carbon ring
    i am typically only .005 from the end of the chamber neck

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    There is absolutely NO SUCH THING as "an old topic" sir.....

And since I was THERE when this was being discussed, I can reply in the first person.

Larry meant LENGTH

His contention was that a too-long neck being slapped out would hammer/warp/dent/distort/fold/spindle/mutilate the area at the end of the neck where the too-long neck hit OUTSIDE THE NECK, or beyond the recessed neck cutout, ie where it impinged upon the freebore section of the chamber.

I'm perfectly aware of this because I'd been doing it ON PURPOSE with custom chambers as a shortcut to finding chamber length. (casting new chambers is a pita and I'm always in a hurry)

So I TESTED IT.

And Larry was RIGHT and I haven't done it since while I DO still blow out lotsa' lotsa' (Got 1000 30 Luger cases in the mail just yesterday, got to turn them into 9MM for my kids)

I felt like Such a Foo'..... as here I've always been the guy preaching "Barrel steel is dead soft!!" and "Even BRONZE will scratch barrel steel" and "you can deform a barrel with your fingernail" and on and onandon....

And YET I was cracking the copper whip, suh-LAPPING massive metal down acros't a delicate edge.....

I pus'd up

Larry saved my hide

And now it's just dead easy.....times have changed. The ChiComs came out with a sphincter 'specter for 50 clams

And while I own a thousand freaking dalars of Hawkeye diligence, I never use it.

for 50 bucks get a Teslong and freaking LOOK AT IT!

EVERYBODY needs a Teslong..... everybody.

I have 5

(He!!, Casey Jones only has two!)

AlinWa has i straight. I damaged a chamber, brass slapped dents into the freebore or chamber. I cant remember, I didnt have a scope, but I had to have the chamber cut off. Oh and 10g of bullseye was way too much.

work up a load for your brass and your chamber.
    start low and work up in 1 gr steps till the shoulder is clear, then maybe 1/2 gr step till the shoulder junction is sharp,
    you can reshoot early cases but always bump the load with a fresh case.
    i use fast pistol and less than a 1' SQ of tissue to cap it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    AlinWa has i straight. I damaged a chamber, brass slapped dents into the freebore or chamber. I cant remember, I didnt have a scope, but I had to have the chamber cut off. Oh and 10g of bullseye was way too much.

I appreciate the helpfull info .
    Thanks,
    danyboy
    Last edited by danyboy; 04-19-2021 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eww1350 View Post
    I have fireformed 400+ 30BR cases using a 6mm bullet and Hodgdon Clays powder. I get cases with the neck extending past the end of the chamber, that have to be trimmed back. I have done this on 4 different rifles and friends have used this method on two other rifles (6 rifles). I have never observed a ridge or dent in the metal of the throat...all 6 rifles shoot very well and each have shot high scores in matches at our club...I would be suspicious of the reamer making that ridge before the rifle was ever fired..
    I recommend that if one wants to fireform new 30BR brass using a 6mm bullet, that they clean with wet/dry patches every 5 shots to keep powder fowling minimal...
    You shot a 6mm bullet in a .308" barrel ? No dammage to the barrel ?

Cool

try play dough.

Quote Originally Posted by BillBrawand View Post
    try play dough.
    Very funny

Very funny
    Funny? I form mine in a 22cal barrel with play dough after I ran out of candle wax. Jackie Schmidt did or does the same as eww1350 to form his. I think Jackie rattles a 6mm bullet down his fireform barrel when forming 30BR.
    Last edited by Butch Lambert; 04-21-2021 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    Funny? I form mine in a 22cal barrel with play dough after I ran out of candle wax. Jackie Schmidt did or does the same as eww1350 to form his. I think Jackie rattles a 6mm bullet down his fireform barrel when forming 30BR.
    OK, I thought you were pulling my leg. Sorry man.
    I got some play dough . I'll give her a try, even in my good benchrest barrel. I imagine I'll have to trim new 6BR brass length wiase down to 1.5" and neck thickness down to .010" BEFORE the first fireforming...

Cool

i believe loU MARDIKA HAS BEEN USING 22 BULLETS IN A 6 AREL FOR FIRE FRMING FOR OME TIME.

you appear to be lost
    what is the neck length of your chamber/reamer ?
    you appear to be wasting time and money

OK, I thought you were pulling my leg. Sorry man.
    I got some play dough . I'll give her a try, even in my good benchrest barrel. I imagine I'll have to trim new 6BR brass length wiase down to 1.5" and neck thickness down to .010" BEFORE the first fireforming...

Last edited by danyboy; 04-23-2021 at 11:57 AM.

total chamber length is 1.510, when I expand with 2 expander dies, from .243 to .270 and from .270 to .308, Lapua 6mm brass total length is 1.520 so it has to be trimmed shorter.Chamber neck is .330. If I fireform without thinning necks to .010, they won't even fit over the neck trimmer shaft cause Lapua 6BR neck is .020" thick.
    Yep - determine (as in measure) the actual chamber OAL, FL size, trim to the MAXIMUM chamber length, turn necks to desired thickness, fire a couple of times (OAL will shorten a couple of thou), then trim to 0.005" to 0.010" short of MAX length. Monitor and trim [to desired] length when "gap" between case mouth and end of chamber is <0.005". Good shootin'! RG

Quote Originally Posted by R.G. Robinett View Post
    Yep - determine (as in measure) the actual chamber OAL, FL size, trim to the MAXIMUM chamber length, turn necks to desired thickness, fire a couple of times (OAL will shorten a couple of thou), then trim to 0.005" to 0.010" short of MAX length. Monitor and trim [to desired] length when "gap" between case mouth and end of chamber is <0.005". Good shootin'! RG
    I asked, little while back, whoever was supposed to have chambered this Shillen prefit barrel if there was a print of the reamer used. Dave Kiff gave Pacific Tool 3 'possible' prints of reamers that 'could have been used'. Seems difficult to get a straight answer nowadays. One has 1.510", another 1.525" and the last one 1.535" as length between chamber base to end of chamber neck.
    Excuse my ignorance Sir but how do you measure the chamber OAL chamber length ?
    Last edited by danyboy; 04-22-2021 at 06:24 PM.