Thread: Fireforming a 30BR

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fireforming a 30BR

If a person fireforms the 6br lapua in a 30br barrel, what is the damage to the barrel?? Is it "just" added rounds?? Or is there some other serious wear taking place?? If done this way, do I then "ream" the inside of the case??

Thanks, Kelly

Kelly

Many of us form our cases by firing the parent round, with a smaller bullet, in the appropriate barrel. For instance, 220 Russian with a 22 bullet in a 6PPC barrel, 220 Russian in a 30PPC barrel to form a 30PPC, and 6BR in a 30 BR chamber to form a 30BR. But I would NEVER do that in one of my good barrels.
    I can't say one way or the other if it would even hurt anything. I am just saying that I would never do it........jackie

Thanks Jackie.. I figured as much.. I was just wondering since the barrels are supposed to handle a large amount of rounds fired. Mine is not for your type of compitition. Mine is a Douglas, on a Savage action.. Hobby type target shooting.. Thanks..

Kelly

I used 10g of bulseye

topped off with COW with a wax plug. I did it on a very cold day 5 cases then patch out and let it cool. I did no heat wear on the leading edge of the rifling that my smith could detect. BUT where I made my mistake was not trimming first! The ends of the cases blew out past the neck portion of the chamber. I would have thought that brass being softer than stainless no harm done just trim the little step it created on the ends of the cases off and trim to length then turn and bingo straight cases. But that aint how it worked out. WHere the ends of the cases were slammed into the inside of the throat in the little bit of freebore section it made a sort of wavy pattern of distortion in the steel. I knew i had a problem when I went to chamber a dummy to check to see if the seating depth had changed. That distorted area was pushing the bullets about .200 deeper into the case. I don't know if my smith has the video attachment for his scope if he does I'll see if I can get him to take a pic of the damage.
    Larry

Larry M,

This is a fascinating snippet of info sir!!! I've had custom chambers made, custom reamers ground and used this method to determine the OAL of the chamber. NOW you tell me that the brass flapping out will DAMAGE the chamber!

THANK YOU!

In future I will find the end of my chambers the old fashioned way, by trial and error..... progressively trimming back until the brass chambers.

Saved by BRC again.

al

Most people I know using the 30br are mechanically expanding the necks, trimming to length, turning the necks and then fireforming with whatever 30 caliber bullet they wish to waste with near their normal charge of powder. Randy J.