Thread: Powder for subsonic 223/5.56

Powder for subsonic 223/5.56

I'd like to make some subsonic 223/5.56. Some research has me thinking Hodgdons Trail Boss is the best powder but I don't see it anywhere. Anyone know anything about availability?

I recently read that there is/was a manufacturing problem with Trail Boss and that it probably won't be available anytime this year. I think it is manufactured in Australia. I recently came across this Hodgdon Subsonic Rifle Load Data pdf and the only other powder listed for subsonic 223 Remington is Clays. Not sure if it's available. Hope this helps.
    https://hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploa...data-final.pdf

From burn rate chart:

#18 Win WST
    #19 H Trail Boss
    #20 Win Super Handicap
    #21 H International

Start low and work up the load.

There are a number of tools that can estimate charge weights.
    QuickLOAD is one .
    Last edited by brickeyee; 09-24-2022 at 03:10 PM.

One youtube video tested Clays, Trail Boss and TightGroup, all Hoghdon pistol powders as canidates. I like the Trail Boss because it is sold in 9 oz containers because that is all they can get in a traditional 1 pound container. I'm nervous about 3-4 grain charges in a 223/5.56 size case and would like to get something to sorta fill the case.

Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    One youtube video tested Clays, Trail Boss and TightGroup, all Hoghdon pistol powders as canidates. I like the Trail Boss because it is sold in 9 oz containers because that is all they can get in a traditional 1 pound container. I'm nervous about 3-4 grain charges in a 223/5.56 size case and would like to get something to sorta fill the case.

Stuff it full of kapok.

Quote Originally Posted by antelopedundee View Post
    Stuff it full of kapok.
    Or another lightweight filler to hold the powder at the bottom of the case.
    This is usually needed for consistent ignition.

What you wanna do with a subso 223 ? hunt mosquitoes ?

I remember of the Russian and their 80 grains oversized 5.45 bullet. They quickly switched to 9x39, for terminal energy and momentum. Meanwhile, most everybody do it with MP5 9x19. A 300BO upper might be an option for U.

As far as "start low and go up", always ear the opposite for subso, start high and go low. A storry about jacketed bullets stucked in brl.