Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Custom Benchrest stock - Tony Boyer

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/th...pdate.4055325/
    This is a Terry Leonard stock that I'm using for my 1913 Anschutz. Mine is a carbon fiber-cedar laminate. I like the longer fore end.

Quote Originally Posted by tonykharper View Post
    Pedro,

Thanks for sharing that information. All the principals you mentioned about keeping the CG low as possible and close to the recoil line makes perfect sense.

Rifles fired off sandbags that has to be very important.

I think as RFBR has moved to unlimited games (ARA, PSL, and unlimited IR 50/50) where we use one piece rest, many with solid guides, we have gotten away from those principles.

As our scopes have become more powerful and heavier. Again, going against the principal of keeping weight above the action to a minimum.

As Tim has said, perhaps we shouldn't worry about those things as long as our stocks track straight.

I still think I'm going to spend a little time (money) to compare a low profile against the Pippin style.

I'm going to do the test using traditional two piece bag set up and a one piece rest.

My thinking now is if I can see any difference, it will be with the bags but who knows?

One other factor in this is how the stocks fit the person behind them.

When I used the Stiller low profile I found it easier to handle and get behind which surprised me since I've used Pippin style stocks for at least 15 years.

Even if the stocks don't make an accuracy difference it is possible if one doesn't fatigue the shooters as much that in itself could be an advantage.

Especially on long weekend, two tournament (12 card total) matches.

Thanks to everyone that has responded and helped me find the Tony Boyer stock.

TKH (4628)
    Tony,

You are welcome.
    I do believe the lower stock profile is another piece in the big puzzle. The better the pieces are made, the fancier the puzzle...

I have never shot a one piece rest, but looking at them, and on the rubber band pulling down the stock, I do think it won't make much difference, but, doesn't hurt to try.
    However physics applies to all.

The other thing you refer, could be even more important, how the shooter feels behind the rifle. I'm a small person and smaller and lower stocks favours me.
    Mr. Butch said he likes the longer fore end. The longer the stock, the more stable it will be, as long as you maintain stiffness, but at a weight cost.

When I need to add weight to a stock I always put it the lowest possible and towards the butt to counteract barrel weight.

Boyer Kept that Stock!

Bill McConkey bought Boyers Calfee rifle that was in that stock along with 9 barrels without the stock! Bill put it in a Pippin style stock made by Mike Bowland ! It shot much better in that stock ! Bill past away in Dec 2021 and his son now has that old Boyer rifle ! I would check with Boyer !
    Last edited by Slick Willy; 05-30-2022 at 05:24 PM.

I'm looking for a pic of a benchrest stock used by Tony Boyer.

When Tony was shooting rimfire he used this particular stock. He may have also used it for his centerfire rifles.

I'm sure it was custom made and I think it was carbon fiber. It was very low profile and looked quite different from most benchrest stocks.

If anyone recalls this stock and has a pic please post.

Thanks,

TKH (4628)

Here you go - https://www.accurateshooter.com/guns...ek/gunweek018/

If you need Dwight's phone number send me a PM

Quote Originally Posted by firearmsunlimit View Post
    Here you go - https://www.accurateshooter.com/guns...ek/gunweek018/

If you need Dwight's phone number send me a PM

That is Tony's CF rifle from a really long time ago. 2010 was when the article was written. I believe that rifle was from the early 2000s or earlier.
    Last edited by Butch Lambert; 05-30-2022 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    That is Tony's CF rifle from a really long time ago. 2010 was when the article was written. I believe that rifle was from the early 2000s or earlier.
    OP said that he thought it could be from Tony's RF or CF rifle, that it was carbon fiber and low profile. The pic looks like what he may have been looking for. Just trying to help out.

With the Terry Leonard carbon fiber laminate the stock is very stiff and light.

Correction Correction Correction!

To all:

The silver stock shown in this thread is not the popular Balsa and Carbon fiber stock used in Centerfire benchrest.

This stock is a one-of-a-kind prototype. Although it is the same profile as the low profile Scarbough stock the internals are completely different.

As Bill Calfee stated this proto type did not work very well. Only the one was made.

I wanted to clear this up because many centerfire shooters have been very successful using the Balsa/carbon fiber version of this same profile stock.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

TKH (4628)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boyer 2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	193.9 KB 
ID:	25531
    Last edited by tonykharper; 06-06-2022 at 07:23 PM.

To all:

The silver stock shown in this thread is not the popular Balsa and Carbon fiber stock used in Centerfire benchrest.

This stock is a one-of-a-kind prototype. Although it is the same profile as the low profile Scarbough stock the internals are completely different.

As Bill Calfee stated this proto type did not work very well. Only the one was made.

I wanted to clear this up because many centerfire shooters have been very successful using the Balsa/carbon fiber version of this same profile stock.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

TKH (4628)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boyer 2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	193.9 KB 
ID:	25531
    Do you know what materials were used?

Quote Originally Posted by B_Rob85 View Post
    Do you know what materials were used?
    It was mentioned that it was some type of foam.

TKH (4628)