Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: another thought problem, NOT gun related

Letís change direction just a bit. Does an airplane lift because of the positive pressure under the wing or because of the negative pressure above the wing? Where is Gene Beggs when you need him?

Per Bernoulli's principle

the pressure is reduced on the top side of the wing because of the increase in speed of air flow. The pressure is not negative at either place, (i.e., pressure is still greater than zero for both). So, the wing is pushed upward.

glen

Look at it this way.

Quote Originally Posted by FBecigneul View Post
    Letís change direction just a bit. Does an airplane lift because of the positive pressure under the wing or because of the negative pressure above the wing?
    I think you need my help with this. Let me try to straighten you out. If your airplane goes fast enough, It will just be sucked up! It must keep going fast or it will loose its' suck and fall out of the sky. There is a principle somewhere about this or should be.

There now!

Concho Bill

Those who know sailing will tell you itís not just a question of whose is the faster or fastest boat in the race but who crosses the finish line first. All that tacking and jibing serves more than one purpose. You tack or jibe to stay closer to the rhumb line but also to get the upper hand on the other boats. You may also cut across the other boat in the starboard quarter to get them to back off or change course because you have right of way. Boats change course because they think they can catch a wind or current change before the others. All the while remember itís a gentlemanís sport.
    you tack and jibe because you have to

period.

I'm saving this because of the bigoted remark at the end.... "gentlemen's sport"

yeahh right

"gentleman" interpreted means he'll slide it in smoothly and never admit it

and NEVER look

I'll trust a Marine grunt before I'll trust a gentleman every time.

HAVE trusted

and will again

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    you tack and jibe because you have to

period.

I'm saving this because of the bigoted remark at the end.... "gentlemen's sport"

yeahh right

"gentleman" interpreted means he'll slide it in smoothly and never admit it

and NEVER look

I'll trust a Marine grunt before I'll trust a gentleman every time.

HAVE trusted

and will again
    Now if this isnít bigotry, I donít know what is ďevery timeĒ .

Now if this isnít bigotry, I donít know what is ďevery timeĒ .
    YES You nailed it!

But is bigotry BAD??

In the real world we ALL make judgements every day about folks and situations around us. City folks look down on country folks and vise versa. Rich look down on poor, poor write songs about the rich. Gun shooters pick on bow shooters who pick on crossbow shooters who pick on musket shooters. Polacks pick on Germans who pick on Finn's who pick on Danes...... The English are famous for knocking the French who in turn look down their aristocratic noses at you'se 'Cajun American by way of Canada (Acadianadians??) and until we start believing in one or the other as being "better" it's all good. Doesn't make any of us RIGHT, just different. Vive' la difference!

Why do you think I tell Jew jokes on you?

Because you don't like them

Just as you're offended by military humor, Yo Mama jokes etc.... and you probably think stomping kittens is mean.

I need to know to whom I'm speaking .....it keeps me aware of your hotbuttons so's I can avoid argument on the good stuff.

I'm pointing it out to show that we think DIFFERENTLY not because the fact I'd trust a Devil Dawg over a gentleman is in any way better than your choice to look up to gentlemen.

Just different.

Throwing bigoted insults at me is one thing but the problem comes when one whose ďhot buttonsĒ are different then yours or mine reads the remarks. Such may have been the case when you threw an anti-Semitic insult at or was read by Rabbi Rob, Reuven Mermelstein. This was a Jewish fellow who wrote for Guns And Ammo Magazine. The good rabbi had more knowledge of more cartridges in his baby finger than most have in their entire bodies. He used to frequent this page when Wilbur was in charge. Well, he left and never came back. Imagine me remembering that and bringing it up. So the point is, before you open your big yap you must think. As for military jokes, if you never served you should stay out of it. Did you serve? Youíre tough to pin down and I doubt youíll answer that question. I donít tell Canadiens, Britts, or Mexicans how to run their countries and I certainly donít want them to tell us how to run ours. My brother was a submariner in the U.S. Navy, Their subís motto was, ďLeave us alone, weíll sink ourselvesĒ. Same thing applies on running oneís country.
    So what Iím saying is write what you want, Iíll not read it.

Great Explanation Glen

Quote Originally Posted by GlenO View Post
    the pressure is reduced on the top side of the wing because of the increase in speed of air flow. The pressure is not negative at either place, (i.e., pressure is still greater than zero for both). So, the wing is pushed upward.

glen
    +1

Why we gotta go and make this personal? This is where it goes to crap and the discussion dies with folks walking away shaking their heads. It's one thing to discuss/debate our idea's and perceptions of how things work but....IMO it's over the line. Some might want to point fingers as to where it may have started but just let it go....stick to the facts man!

IMO This ^^^ is a part of what killed this once great place. Long slow death by attacks. Lots of really knowledgeable people bailed long ago. Sad.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

[/QUOTE] Lots of really knowledgeable people bailed long ago. Sad.[/QUOTE]

See Frances, there is hope for me yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Throwing bigoted insults at me is one thing but the problem comes when one whose ďhot buttonsĒ are different then yours or mine reads the remarks. Such may have been the case when you threw an anti-Semitic insult at or was read by Rabbi Rob, Reuven Mermelstein. This was a Jewish fellow who wrote for Guns And Ammo Magazine. The good rabbi had more knowledge of more cartridges in his baby finger than most have in their entire bodies. He used to frequent this page when Wilbur was in charge. Well, he left and never came back. Imagine me remembering that and bringing it up. So the point is, before you open your big yap you must think. As for military jokes, if you never served you should stay out of it. Did you serve? Youíre tough to pin down and I doubt youíll answer that question. I donít tell Canadiens, Britts, or Mexicans how to run their countries and I certainly donít want them to tell us how to run ours. My brother was a submariner in the U.S. Navy, Their subís motto was, ďLeave us alone, weíll sink ourselvesĒ. Same thing applies on running oneís country.
    So what Iím saying is write what you want, Iíll not read it.

"Yeahh, "or was read by".

I have never "thrown an anti-Semitic insult" at anyone in my life. I point things out, generally to make a point, I don't fling...... "or was read by" is generally the problem.

The very problem I'm trying to avoid.

Generally I've learned that passionate discourse "offends" a certain type of person.

That type of person would like to see passion banned.

you may be right FBecigneul. It might just be time for me to go, again.

In the meantime since my thread is wrecked I'll clear the air a liddle.

Y'know, Wilbur used to call me. First thing I'd ask is, "Am I in trouble for making people cry again? Would you like me to leave BRC??" And he'd assure me "NO, you're not the problem"

So I'd not leave. And for 20yrs FBecigneul has been at me. Well, not all 20yrs, for the first 5 yrs we got along fine with hugs all-round as necessary. Mr FBecigneul even gifted me with a copy of Mr Mermelstein's book... the Rabbi he thinks highly of ... (((there is no incidental "huhh? Who'da' thunk I'd remember THAT huh??"))) He remembers and I remember every word that was said. Now, with the words right there in front of us did we see and read the same thing the three of us??? Of course not. But as we most of us learned in kindeegarten, so what!.... Mr Mermelstein (whose internet handle BTW was "Rabbi") was touting the merits of the 22-250 and I disagreed calling it a classic, an antique, a round which has been supplanted by other more well designed cartridges.... And Mr Mermelstein took his ball and went home. And FBecigneul castigated me severely.

Then, we "disagreed" over something else, pretty big, right there on the BRC board and that was the end of that! (Again, I remember EVERYTHING, but I'm not opening that bucket a slugs...)

So, here we are, fighting like infants in the sandbox because I've stepped on someone's pet again, truly weird. I've AGAIN offended Mr FBecigneul!

I've stepped on a LOT of pets thru the years, I try to see them and can't always but I can state with absolute finality that no-one EVER has "offended" me on the innernet! Nor in any room....

FBecigneul you think we should all agree........ you think we should all pick the same side and stick together like hens and chicks........You and a couple of your fans have been very vocal in this regard. You and these friends think I'm "mean" because I don't buy into every traditional BR myth. Also, my stated position as an avowed outsider bugs you, you're really troubled by any agreement with what just might be the wrong team, that "I'm hard to pin down"...... scarey.... I've been forced many times to state that "I'm just not the secret handshake sort of guy!" That I'm not a member of any club anywhere......and for over 20yrs I've had to look out for when is the next time you would take some slight, I'd say something wrong...A'gain. And off we'd go. I try, I really try to keep on top of it and ruffle you just enough to keep it from getting weird.....but here it is again.

I've never minded acting the foil, being the lightning rod, the bad guy in the interest of drawing people and ideas out.

((duhh, my tagline has been 'oft dis'd member' since day one... I STARTED with that handle)) but the only thing important to me is the dissemination of TRUTHS over opinions and pet ideas....

I'm a student and a teacher. ALL I care about is truth. As I've also stated many times, I love to be proven wrong. I'd much rather be shown to be wrong than to ever be right. This entire thread was started because I saw something interesting and wanted to learn more about it. So for 20yrs on this forum I've searched for and tried to pass on shooting TRUTHS.... In this regard I also used to keep in touch with Harold Vaughn and use him for my sounding board re these TRUTHS..... and his kid used to come on here and argue his case too, often because one of these cronies would pipe up with "what does this Vaughn guy know ennyways?? What tournaments has HE won??"

There exists a large portion of our population to whom "truth" will always belong to a collective, to the "right side" and to "winners" as opposed to scientists. Look around, look at the "news" today..... look at where we stand as a nation today. OUR fault, all of it, for not defending TRUTH. All my life I've fought this thought process, begging people to think for themselves.....teaching that the ability to separate fact from opinion is a valuable life skill.

And that we can learn from everyone.

UNLESS people start "getting offended"..... especially now when "getting offended" carries special weight in the collective. At a time when taking a knee takes the heart of our nation..... a time when being woke is all that matters. My voice is weak.... and yet hurtful, to so many......

So okay OKAYY!! YOU WIN Mr FBecigneul, A'gain!.......I'll back out, crawl back under my rock now and let you have your platform back.... I can after all, this is my thread!

Stay strong and unmelted

yes, your boat will catch the balloon.... driven on wings of unicorns

A great post Al! I do like Mr. Bike.

I watched the video and several others where physicists were explaining exactly how the downwind car works.

The light came on when you finally see that the Prop is not driven by the wind, but by the wheels. The concept of comparing it to a lever system cleared up a lot of brain fog and got me past the old perpetual motion thing. The propís speed, or better itís blade tip velocity, is so much greater than the speed of the rotating wheels that it induces the force to accelerate the vehicle faster than the downwind direction of travel.

Thanks for posting.