Thread: long 6-48 grip screws

long 6-48 grip screws

I've widened the grips on some Colt SAA shooters using epoxy and don't want to re-set the escutcheons. Does anyone know a source for long 6-48's?? I would like 1.5" or even 2" long 6-48 screws........And while we're at it I could also use some 8-40 threadstock or 2" long 8-40 screws....

Al

The only thing I've ever found was blank screw kit from Brownell's
    {2.225 Long shank} you have to thread them yourself but they will work!

080-011-000WB
    Blank Screw Kit

Russ
    Last edited by R Stiner; 08-02-2021 at 08:39 AM.

Hey Russ, thank you!! That will work nicely, wish't I'da thought of it!

looks like these screws are 5-40 once I've measured 'em up...... Brownell's seems to skip right over #5 blanks

Al

My box of screw blanks is over 10 years old! Quality control ain't what it use to be......

The #6 screw blanks in the kit I have measure a little fat .141 dia. {#6 screw major dia is .1372 }

give Brownell's a call they should be able to check what they have and send you the correct #6 screw blanks!

Russ

OK..... so just when I thought I understood thread sizing

I got sloppy on this one, kinda' wanged it, the measurements the first time...

I've been all over the Colt forums and they agree that this generation of Colt SAA (1972 45LC New Frontier) has "either 6-40 or 6-36 screws" but other guys state as fact that 6-44 and 6-38 are options....

THIS screw fits loosely and measures .106 and 40tpi so I thought I wanted something in the .120x40tpi range (5-40) but the 5-40's I've got are a wee bit too tight so I'm going with 4-40

I have 4-40 taps and dies from back when I were asspiring to be a Gunschmidt and will thread me some "#4 stock" when it gets here from Brownells. I wish they would list diameters of the blanks.

Well Butch..... it was McMaster Carr to the rescue again. I ordered the Brownell's screw kits, total flop, MUCH too large to thread.

Some days if I had to choose just 3 things to live on for a month it'd be coffee, steak and McMaster Carr, the ultimate hardware store

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    Well Butch..... it was McMaster Carr to the rescue again. I ordered the Brownell's screw kits, total flop, MUCH too large to thread.

Some days if I had to choose just 3 things to live on for a month it'd be coffee, steak and McMaster Carr, the ultimate hardware store
    Al,

Although I've never checked, it wouldn't surprise me if McMaster Carr carried both steak and coffee...

Justin

I treasure McMaster-Carr

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post

In the age of "everything imported", when you can't go downtown and buy a screw, nut, bolt or any other fastener that meets any sort of spec, McMaster carries *spec compliant* parts. (Where they state a spec.) I gladly pay the extra for quality fasteners from McM-C rather than suffer with the miserable garbage sold by the local big-box stores... (An exception to this rule are the GRK and PowerPro ONE screws which, thus far, appear to be high quality.)

GsT

yes today, trying to get a good screw, ends up with us getting screwed

Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    yes today, trying to get a good screw, ends up with us getting screwed
    Thats why now, more than ever, it's important to support places like McMaster Carr and others that supply quality products.

Good shootin'- Al