Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Barrel Fluting

nor do we see yours...

and i live in sun city

Quote Originally Posted by firearmsunlimit View Post
    In case you are unaware, Tony Boyer, Les Bruno, Walt Berger and Dwight Scott have all been inducted into the Benchrest Hall of Fame as a result of their lifetime match scoring. I don't see any guy named Butch listed in the top ten.

First, I am probably older than you so please don't refer to me as "young feller."

On June 8th, 2013, Michael Stinnett shot a new world record, surpassing a group that held the record for 40 years. 5 shots were fired at a distance of 100 yards. This record was shot at the North Texas Shooters Association NBRSA match in Denton, TX. That 5 shots were fired was verified by use of a moving backer, and the .0077 IN group size was an average of the measurements from multiple judges. THE RIFLE THAT HE USED TO SHOOT THIS GROUP WAS NOT FLUTED - PERIOD.

As it relates to the intended use of Cryo treatment you can do your own research as there are plenty of publications and advertisements available on line.

In case you are unaware, Tony Boyer, Les Bruno, Walt Berger and Dwight Scott have all been inducted into the Benchrest Hall of Fame as a result of their lifetime match scoring. I don't see any guy named Butch listed in the top ten.
    Young feller, sorry I pissed in your Post Toasties. If you happen to be over 80 I will hereinafter refer you as an old Fart. You are kinda like a couple libs that I know, cherry picking items. I won't say that you are not in the HOF as you choose to hide behind a pseudonym. You may be there, but do you know why they don't use fluted barrels and why Skip did? By the way, what does Mike Stinnett's World Record have to do with fluting coolant or cutting oil?
    You might know that I do flute a few barrels, but not competition barrels. I do think 99% of folks that like them fluted, like it for the bling. I don't remember recommending fluting, just pointing out Skip's record. Yeah, It was shot in your back yard.
    Now, what else can we fling on the wall and see if it sticks.
    Last edited by Butch Lambert; 08-23-2021 at 02:38 PM.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    Young feller, sorry I pissed in your Post Toasties. If you happen to be over 80 I will hereinafter refer you as an old Fart. You are kinda like a couple libs that I know, cherry picking items. I won't say that you are not in the HOF as you choose to hide behind a pseudonym. You may be there, but do you know why they don't use fluted barrels and why Skip did? By the way, what does Mike Stinnett's World Record have to do with fluting coolant or cutting oil?
    You might know that I do flute a few barrels, but not competition barrels. I do think 99% of folks that like them fluted, like it for the bling. I don't remember recommending fluting, just pointing out Skip's record. Yeah, It was shot in your back yard.
    Now, what else can we fling on the wall and see if it sticks.
    I agree with you on the barrel fluting although it does reduce weight and facilitate barrel cooling. I just don't see it in being used in the benchrest community.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    nor do we see yours...

and i live in sun city
    The benchrest hall of fame records arn't delineated by city and state. LOL

I know it is tuff for you
    but those are clearly 2 DIFFERENT LINES.COMMENTS.

The benchrest hall of fame records arn't delineated by city and state. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    I know it is tuff for you
    but those are clearly 2 DIFFERENT LINES.COMMENTS.
    Sorry, I wasn't aware that you did not know how to use punctuation.

Glad to hear you live in Sun City. Hope I have a chance to run into you some time.

The direction that this thread has taken is exactly why I don't post much on this forum.

I operate one of the most modern barrel shops around and I have gained a lot of valuable information that I will share.
    I perform all stress relief in-house and I sub-contract my Cryo work.

• All barrel steel has some amount of residual stress in it from the steel mill. It is a product of the rolling process at the mill.
    • The steel mills perform two stress relief cycles on the steel but they are doing it in a production enviroment so it may not be as good as possible.
    • This is why cut barrels are usually contoured prior to reaming/rifling and this is also why most button barrel makers do a pre-machine stress relief cycle with heat.
    • Knowing what I have learned...I wouldn't make a cut barrel without performing a premachine stress relief cycle.

• Cryo alone will not stress relief a barrel.
    • Stress relief must be done at 50F below the temper temperature of the steel this is usually 1020-1050F
    • Cryo does enhance the qualities of the steel. I want to eventually Cryo all of my barrels.
    • Think of it this way.... a NOS system will greatly enhance the performance of your hot rod but you can't run it on NOS alone.

• Fluted barrels shoot just as good as non fluted barrels.
    • Most manufacturers prefer to do the fluting in house so it can be controlled for liability reasons.
      • Look at this rifle... It just won the UBR KY State Championship Unlimted class... That's an ABC 6mm fluted barrel.

Attachment 24902Attachment 24903 Attachment 24903Attachment 24902Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150601_105241.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	700.1 KB 
ID:	24906Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150601_104108 (1).jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	770.2 KB 
ID:	24907
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5569[1].jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	552.1 KB 
ID:	24908   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagejpeg_0[1].jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	225.2 KB 
ID:	24909  

Quote Originally Posted by oliver88 View Post
    The direction that this thread has taken is exactly why I don't post much on this forum.

I operate one of the most modern barrel shops around and I have gained a lot of valuable information that I will share.
    I perform all stress relief in-house and I sub-contract my Cryo work.

• All barrel steel has some amount of residual stress in it from the steel mill. It is a product of the rolling process at the mill.
    • The steel mills perform two stress relief cycles on the steel but they are doing it in a production enviroment so it may not be as good as possible.
    • This is why cut barrels are usually contoured prior to reaming/rifling and this is also why most button barrel makers do a pre-machine stress relief cycle with heat.
    • Knowing what I have learned...I wouldn't make a cut barrel without performing a premachine stress relief cycle.

• Cryo alone will not stress relief a barrel.
    • Stress relief must be done at 50F below the temper temperature of the steel this is usually 1020-1050F
    • Cryo does enhance the qualities of the steel. I want to eventually Cryo all of my barrels.
    • Think of it this way.... a NOS system will greatly enhance the performance of your hot rod but you can't run it on NOS alone.

• Fluted barrels shoot just as good as non fluted barrels.
    • Most manufacturers prefer to do the fluting in house so it can be controlled for liability reasons.
      • Look at this rifle... It just won the UBR KY State Championship Unlimted class... That's an ABC 6mm fluted barrel.

Attachment 24902Attachment 24903 Attachment 24903Attachment 24902Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150601_105241.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	700.1 KB 
ID:	24906Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150601_104108 (1).jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	770.2 KB 
ID:	24907

see there ya go AGAIN Ant'ny messing up a perfectly good scuffle with the facts.... ya' just piss folks off doing that!!

Thank You

Original post

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    see there ya go AGAIN Ant'ny messing up a perfectly good scuffle with the facts.... ya' just piss folks off doing that!!

Thank You
    And just think, this all got rolling with the poor OP asking for a recommendation for cutting fluid...

Quote Originally Posted by hayscott View Post
    And just think, this all got rolling with the poor OP asking for a recommendation for cutting fluid...
    Hey, whatever it takes! The world needs info like Oliver88 can bring.

Facts Matter

Got way off track and the OP's original question hasn't been answered and unfortunately I can't be of any help to him.

ABC
    Thanks for sharing your info.
    It's nice to get facts straight from the source.
    Please keep up.the good work.

Hal

reference post #1
    I use a Kool Mist system with formula 77 additive. Works well on most jobs on a mill. Not much mess unless you're fluting barrels all day.

When Kelbly's fluted barrels (we no longer due) we used Kool Mist as well. Barrel came off machine cold and we felt never effected accuracy due to no heat to increase bore diameter.

Jim

On June 8th, 2013, Michael Stinnett shot a new world record, surpassing a group that held the record for 40 years. 5 shots were fired at a distance of 100 yards. This record was shot at the North Texas Shooters Association NBRSA match in Denton, TX. That 5 shots were fired was verified by use of a moving backer, and the .0077 IN group size was an average of the measurements from multiple judges. THE RIFLE THAT HE USED TO SHOOT THIS GROUP WAS NOT FLUTED - PERIOD.

Just because someone holds a record, that neither proves or disproves that fluting a barrel is worse than a non-fluted barrel.

When the vast majority of barrels being used in competition are non-fluted, it pretty much puts the odds in favor of non-fluted barrels finishing on top more often. Are they not shooting fluted barrels because they don't shoot, or because the added cost and/or hassle of installing them is not worth it?