Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: neck clearance

Neck Clearance

Quote Originally Posted by g n brezinski View Post
    what do you use or it in your br rifles.also what are your thoughts on this subject.have been looking over t j jacksons articles and dave scotts also in presion shooting.it is said you need to have less then .001 total to get groups in the zeros at 100 yards.
    I run 0.003 total which allows me to swap from BT and FB Bullets and still have roughly 0.0025” clearance depending on the bullet specs - pressure ring etc

I used to run 0.002” and the extra clearance I run now is not hurting at all.

I actually don’t know anyone who is running 0.001” or fitted necks

Cheers
    Michael

Just look at the date of that article. A LOT has changed since then. It is still interesting to read and one good takeaway from it is pay attention to details.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Huebner View Post
    I run 0.003 total which allows me to swap from BT and FB Bullets and still have roughly 0.0025” clearance depending on the bullet specs - pressure ring etc

I used to run 0.002” and the extra clearance I run now is not hurting at all.

I actually don’t know anyone who is running 0.001” or fitted necks

Cheers
    Michael
    NOT meaning to change the subject, but does using BT or a FB change the clearance?

Jim, Normally the flat base has a pressure ring and the BT don't. Maybe this is Michael's reason.

i shot the last three cactus classics, and have match wins at ben avery.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    We all like to shoot small but the agg wins the day.
    I doubt mr rsmither has ever shot a sanctioned BR match. (aka keyboard shooter) Otherwise he would totally understand what you are saying.

Richard

speaking of keyboard shooters, when was the last time butch lambert shat a sanctioned match??? i have not seen his name in print.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    speaking of keyboard shooters, when was the last time butch lambert shat a sanctioned match??? i have not seen his name in print.
    I have never "shat" at a sanctioned match.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    i shot the last three cactus classics, and have match wins at ben avery.
    Just went through the 2021 Cactus and failed to see your name. Shooting under an alias?

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    Just went through the 2021 Cactus and failed to see your name. Shooting under an alias?
    See post 120 at http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?...ht=#post839759

Mr rsmither has

shot matches so I owe a retraction of my statement. It's up to him to post his real name.
    I still stand by my statement to Kurtis. Like Butch said, it's good advice.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    I have never "shat" at a sanctioned match.
    well someday you might.... and when you do, make sure you're facing the right way when your bolt holster slides off yer belt....

Quote Originally Posted by RL Weikart View Post
    Dave,

Thank you for the reply
    You're welcome

Clearance

Quote Originally Posted by jimsplce View Post
    NOT meaning to change the subject, but does using BT or a FB change the clearance?
    As Butch said the Flat Base has a pressure ring.
    Just measure your Bullets you want to use and see what they are and make sure you have the clearance you require. Most are larger than 0.243 in 6mm. My FB are 0.2435 at pressure ring and my BT is 0.2433 just in front of the boat tail. (I have seen larger by at least 0.0003” so you need to measure)

My chambers are neck diameter 0.270”
    I neck turn to 0.012 thickness
    I have chosen minimum 0.0025” clearance
    - With my FB Bullets I have 0.0025
    - With my BT I have around 0.0027
    - I also know that I can use pretty much any bullet up to .244 (which is most if not all) and not worry about neck clearance at all as it is 0.002” @ 0.244

I actually found other benefits as well to using more clearance not less

Cheers
    Michael

I would be hesitant to take advice from the likes of me, too. Haven't shot in a big match in quite a while. I'm still in awe of the guys who can shoot the teen agg. I'm sure they put in lots of practice. And that's just one of the reasons they can consistently shoot small. Pretty sure that an average barrel and average bullets aren't the ticket .

Somebody who has a tunnel and has done lots of testing might have the best recipe for shooting zeros.After you have the right neck clearance, I'm guessing you still need good brass, consistent neck tension, the right amount of powder, a scope that is solid, good rests, and bench manners. And a target that doesn't move.

I take one thing back.. every match is a big match. There are really good shooters every match that I attend. And the people who put on a match do a lot of work to make a match happen. So if you happen to be on top , you had a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Huebner View Post
    As Butch said the Flat Base has a pressure ring.
    Just measure your Bullets you want to use and see what they are and make sure you have the clearance you require. Most are larger than 0.243 in 6mm. My FB are 0.2435 at pressure ring and my BT is 0.2433 just in front of the boat tail. (I have seen larger by at least 0.0003” so you need to measure)

My chambers are neck diameter 0.270”
    I neck turn to 0.012 thickness
    I have chosen minimum 0.0025” clearance
    - With my FB Bullets I have 0.0025
    - With my BT I have around 0.0027
    - I also know that I can use pretty much any bullet up to .244 (which is most if not all) and not worry about neck clearance at all as it is 0.002” @ 0.244

I actually found other benefits as well to using more clearance not less

Cheers
    Michael
    Thanks to both you and Butch for the information. I wasn't aware they might measure differently.
    I still have my brass, so my clearances will be fine.
    I've been away from shooting for many years and I'm trying to catch up on changes.
    One of those apparently is the practice of using BT bullets now. When I was shooting, FB bullets were the standard to use.
    I have a good supply of those and I'm sure they will still perform better than I will.