Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chrome Moly vs Stainless steel

Chrome Moly vs Stainless steel

Match grade barrels why Stainless over Chrome Moly ? I read the other day that Chrome Moly was more wear resistant than as Stainless . True or False ?

2 cents worth
    ss machines easier
    moly lasts a bit longer
    but add a nitrite coating and a ss bbl will last a long time( same on the moly bbl)

match barrels, especially BR barrels burn out more than wear out, SS, I believe, is more heat resistant

Stainless provides better resistance to heat erosion than Chrome Moly barrels.

The topic is too broad...

Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    2 cents worth
    ss machines easier
    moly lasts a bit longer
    but add a nitrite coating and a ss bbl will last a long time( same on the moly bbl)
    "Stainless" and "Chrome Moly" are categories of steel and it makes little sense to compare the two without getting down to specific alloys. The alloys used for barrel making do seem more resistant to heat, but that doesn't explain the rampant use of stainless alloys in actions - which completely befuddles me - I very much want a chrome-moly action, but for some reason they are not that popular! Call it marketing.

OTOH, I must disagree with rmisthsr - in general, chrome-moly alloys are much more forgiving to machine. Some stainless alloys are downright painful, but I've never found a chrome-moly alloy that didn't machine nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    "Stainless" and "Chrome Moly" are categories of steel and it makes little sense to compare the two without getting down to specific alloys. The alloys used for barrel making do seem more resistant to heat, but that doesn't explain the rampant use of stainless alloys in actions - which completely befuddles me - I very much want a chrome-moly action, but for some reason they are not that popular! Call it marketing.

OTOH, I must disagree with rmisthsr - in general, chrome-moly alloys are much more forgiving to machine. Some stainless alloys are downright painful, but I've never found a chrome-moly alloy that didn't machine nicely.
    ^^^^^^
    Listen to him Mr Smith!

nitrite coating In the bore? you would have to do that after shambering ? Because the Free bore and lead would not have it ?

Quote Originally Posted by ArtinNC View Post
    nitrite coating In the bore? you would have to do that after shambering ? Because the Free bore and lead would not have it ?
    Art, yes sir.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtinNC View Post
    Also, nitriding is very hard. IME all machining including the crown wants to be done prior to pickling

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    Also, nitriding is very hard. IME all machining including the crown wants to be done prior to pickling
    Yes,but I have recrowned them after QPQ.A carbide parting tool can get below the hardening.

A chrome Moly Action

I know this is about barrels but I had to share. I am getting a chrome Moly DS action. I will get it in a few weeks. Regards Michael

Genes' statement about stainless is right on. Tapping holes is a real pain.

Mort

Dan Lilja says on his website ss last 30% longer than chrome moly.

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    Dan Lilja says on his website ss last 30% longer than chrome moly.

Yeahh well who made him the exspurt ennyways

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    Yeahh well who made him the exspurt ennyways
    I've got Dan's barrels on 3 guns at the moment and have had at least 8-10 others through the years....all stainless and all have shot to real Benchrest standards. It was a Lilja .30 twisted 1:17 on the gun when I won the IBS Hunter National Championship and also snagged the High X memorial Cup. Even after drifting into the cut rifled world with the .30's, the button rifled Lilja's accuracy remained the standard by which I judged any of the cut rifled .30's. Also his .17's are especially good.

Good shootin'. -Al