Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caldwell BR

Caldwell BR

I have a Caldwell BR Competition rest and I'm trying to determine the ram/post thread size. Caldwell manual shows that it's a 7/8-6 Acme thread but it's not.
    I tried 1-8 and 1-14 but it's not it either. I thinking that it might be metric.

Does anyone have any idea the thread size on this ram/post?

The base is good for what I'm using it for but I did replace the top with a Fudd. My aim is to find a nut to use underneath the top to lock it in place. It sometimes loosens from vehicle vibration and use. I tried using blue lock tite on the top screw but it still comes loose. This doesn't happen much but when it does- it's irritating.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Mine is 1" and 14 threads per inch and for the below Caldwell rest.

Last edited by Louis.J; 04-27-2021 at 10:28 AM.

I would suggest that you call Grizzly. They have been helpful to me when I needed assistance in the past.

Bill Jacobs

Can you supply some measurements of the diameter and a close picture alongside a ruler?

I would just contact them at the link below just go to the drop down menu to find the contact information. I have ordered parts from them before and a technician could very easily help you out with the correct information.

https://www.caldwellshooting.com/

Also keep in mind that different rests did not all use the same size stem and thread pitch. A friend ordered a new BR front rest and it was actually quite different than my own and his stem is 7/8 X 10 threads per inch and I just now checked it to see what his actually is. I also made jam nuts for the both of ours and one of them is shown below.

Last edited by Louis.J; 04-27-2021 at 01:19 PM.

I found my screw pitch gauges and it's 12. So it's 1-12 thread. The only size nut that I didn't try at the store only because they didn't have any.

Why is there such a wide range of tread sizes on the same type of model rests. If i ordered a wheel from Cladwell, who knows what size I'll get.

I like the way that you put a handle on that jam nut. Now I'm on the hunt for that 1-12 nut. Thanks to all for answering my question.

It is quite odd that they are not all the same? I actually ordered a new complete upper top assembly for my rest sometime back. I needed two at the time and the threaded rod and thread pitch on it was not the same.

I looked through my "stuff" and found a 1-12 tap but no drill. It's cheaper for me to order the nut than to buy a drill to drill out an undersized nut.

Will place an order on Ebay, 2 for $12. Yeah, I can't understand why the thread size would keep changing. It makes it confusing when trying to order a threaded part.

are you sure..
    type of thread v vs acme
    most rests use an acme thread for the post
    midway pic clearly shows an acme type thread on the post

Quote Originally Posted by armabill View Post
    I looked through my "stuff" and found a 1-12 tap but no drill. It's cheaper for me to order the nut than to buy a drill to drill out an undersized nut.

Will place an order on Ebay, 2 for $12. Yeah, I can't understand why the thread size would keep changing. It makes it confusing when trying to order a threaded part.
    Last edited by rsmithsr; 04-27-2021 at 10:24 PM.

I personally have not seen an Acme Thread being used on a Caldwell front rest. But you are indeed correct in that it was more typically being used. When I find the time I need to go take a look at what my Randolf Rest actually has.
    Last edited by Louis.J; 04-28-2021 at 09:55 AM.

I bought a 7/8-6 Acme nut and it won't fit. I got this size from the Caldwell Competition manual.
    There isn't a date on that manual but from the thread size, it might be an older one? I can't find
    my manual that came with the rest. Whether that would help me, I can't be sure.

The 1-12 tap that I found fits exactly when put on top of the threaded post. This coincides with
    the thread gauge. Like as stated previously, I tried a 1-8 and 1-14 nuts and they don't fit either.

The 1-14 wants to go on but stops at a couple of threads in. Now I know that it's not a metric
    thread but I think that the rest top screws are metric- at least that's what the manual says, if you
    can believe it.

Sinclair uses a 1-14 thread on their larger rests.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    are you sure..
    type of thread v vs acme
    most rests use an acme thread for the post
    midway pic clearly shows an acme type thread on the post
    So, where did you get this info! Caldwell originally came out with a 1"X12tpi post size. For what ever reason a few years ago they changed to the 7/8"X6tpi acme threaded post. Bald Eagle, the original 3 legged Hart and Sinclair had 3/4X10tpi post. The Sinclair competition rest has a 1X14TPI post.

well in context of cheap rests. most that i have owned were acme.
    yes both of my sinclair competition rests are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    So, where did you get this info! Caldwell originally came out with a 1"X12tpi post size. For what ever reason a few years ago they changed to the 7/8"X6tpi acme threaded post. Bald Eagle, the original 3 legged Hart and Sinclair had 3/4X10tpi post. The Sinclair competition rest has a 1X14TPI post.

"well in context of cheap rests" By your post you have owned a few cheap rests. I guess you know why the "cheap" ones had acme post. What reason did they have the acme posts?