Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: " Common Sense" gun laws

There is lots of good observations here on what is wrong. I think most of us recognize what is wrong. The real question at this point is what do we, individually and collectively, do to correct the wrongs? Al has offered some good practical advice when he says vote. What other practical actions are there that we can take?

1. I do believe that writing your representatives is worthwhile. Even if you have vetted them carefully, they still need the reminder that states what your position is on issues before them.
    2. You can join and contribute your hard earned dollars to the organization of your choice. They all seem to have some good points and bad points. But collective action does lend force.

We did get into this situation over a long period of time and I believe it will take a long time to correct as well. But, it won't correct itself if we just continue to bemoan the situation and do not take concrete action.

Lets hear your other suggestions.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Duke View Post
    There is lots of good observations here on what is wrong. I think most of us recognize what is wrong. The real question at this point is what do we, individually and collectively, do to correct the wrongs? Al has offered some good practical advice when he says vote. What other practical actions are there that we can take?

1. I do believe that writing your representatives is worthwhile. Even if you have vetted them carefully, they still need the reminder that states what your position is on issues before them.
    2. You can join and contribute your hard earned dollars to the organization of your choice. They all seem to have some good points and bad points. But collective action does lend force.

We did get into this situation over a long period of time and I believe it will take a long time to correct as well. But, it won't correct itself if we just continue to bemoan the situation and do not take concrete action.

Lets hear your other suggestions.

Joe
    Thanks Joe! That was a step in the right direction. Tim

The question has been asked "what can we do?"

Wel'p, the first rule of Alcoholics Anonymous is.... to recognize the problem ......"Recognition of the problem is 9/10 of the cure"

So, we've got a few more people than normal huddled out in the middle of the freeway looking into the headlites and finally recognizing that WE'VE GOT A PROBLEM!!

So,

IMO the question that needs to be answered is "how did we get here?" so we can recognize the enormity of the thing.... and THEN, and only then can we begin working toward the "cure"

Here's this month's Imprimus,

https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/

I say to all reading this thread,

READ this article 'Critical Race Theory: What It Is and How to Fight It'

And if'n you're too lazy to read it................ YOU're the problem!
    And if'n you're too dim to understand it........YOU're the problem!
    And if'n you're too insecure not to get mad...YOU're the problem!

Now, clik back and read , digest and understand the last two years of Imprimus if you really want to develop a direction...... this DIRECTION is a big deal IMO. We are saving our grandbabbies.....

or dooming them.

The 1st direction, getting off the freeway and out of the semi headlights will allow you to live another day. But once you're safe back under the covers and out of sight of the monsters..... what then?

"waking up" isn't enough in this job..... waking up just BEGINS the work

I don't think the dems

want to do anything about seriously disturbed individuals getting guns. They might loose a vote.

Cool Article

AL, Thank you, great stuff.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    The question has been asked "what can we do?"

Wel'p, the first rule of Alcoholics Anonymous is.... to recognize the problem ......"Recognition of the problem is 9/10 of the cure"

So, we've got a few more people than normal huddled out in the middle of the freeway looking into the headlites and finally recognizing that WE'VE GOT A PROBLEM!!

So,

IMO the question that needs to be answered is "how did we get here?" so we can recognize the enormity of the thing.... and THEN, and only then can we begin working toward the "cure"

Here's this month's Imprimus,

https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/

I say to all reading this thread,

READ this article 'Critical Race Theory: What It Is and How to Fight It'

And if'n you're too lazy to read it................ YOU're the problem!
    And if'n you're too dim to understand it........YOU're the problem!
    And if'n you're too insecure not to get mad...YOU're the problem!

Now, clik back and read , digest and understand the last two years of Imprimus if you really want to develop a direction...... this DIRECTION is a big deal IMO. We are saving our grandbabbies.....

or dooming them.

The 1st direction, getting off the freeway and out of the semi headlights will allow you to live another day. But once you're safe back under the covers and out of sight of the monsters..... what then?

"waking up" isn't enough in this job..... waking up just BEGINS the work

Quote Originally Posted by RL Weikart View Post
    AL, Thank you, great stuff.

Bob
    More than you can believe.....THANK YOU FOR READING IT!!

The folks at Hillsdale College are the furthest thing from "fringies" or "whackos"..... this is a college where, when it was founded in 1844 and which had such stringent ENTRANCE requirements that college graduates of today couldn't get in, let alone move towards any sort of degree.

errata,

(I've amended this because it was pointed out to me that I used (misused) 'matriculate' previously. I meant it as "get in and move forward with their education'..... not necessarily "graduate" as that's a moving target, but to keep up a solid grade average etc..... What I MEANT to imply was that Hillsdale college is not representative of what we see today, ie you "get in" because of skin color or sexual preference and then you're allowed to continue regardless of attitude, aptitude or performance just as long as the money keeps coming. Implied is also that "the money" will keep coming as long as you fulfill certain "minority status requirements" in a modern college. And that there are no standards one must maintain in order to stay in class)

In more common usage 'matriculate' does simply mean to get in.

This, from Merriam Webster;

Anybody who has had basic Latin knows that alma mater, a fancy term for the school you attended, comes from a phrase that means "fostering mother." If mater is "mother," then matriculate probably has something to do with a school nurturing you just like good old mom, right? Not exactly. If you go back far enough, matriculate is distantly related to the Latin mater, but its maternal associations were lost long ago. It is more closely related to Late Latin matricula, which means "public roll or register," and it has more to do with being enrolled than being mothered.

I'm happy to stand corrected for archaic usage. A mind as filled with minutiae as mine does often need correction
    Last edited by alinwa; 04-28-2021 at 03:50 PM.

oops, lost a whole runon in that sentence...... musta' slipped and 'blued' it.....musta' notta' been important

There was a time in America

when every state had institutions for people who could not function in society, and those who couldn't be trusted. So, they were expensive to run and some folks believed them to be cruel and inhumane. So, we closed them and went for the concept of group homes and "MAINSTREAMING. We essentially placed a lot of folks who need to be in institutions either on the street to clutter up cities or placed unstable people in the MAINSTREAM. So, where has it gotten us? I do not believe there were any mass shootings 50 or 60 years ago. Never saw any headlines like it back then. One could buy guns through the mail from Sears or anywhere else. I remember seeing ads for Lugers in sporting magazines real cheap. If we had only realized, eh?

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Wass; 04-27-2021 at 08:57 PM.

My home town had a quite large mental hospital and why they closed it is well beyond me. Here is a link to that old site. And now all we have is behavioral center that really doesn't have any capacity or what it actually needs by far. Most have drug issues and there is absolutely no long term care and they are simply released back into society within a few days with some meds to take.

https://www.asylumprojects.org/index...State_Hospital

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    I do not believe there were any mass shootings 50 or 60 years ago. Never saw any headlines like it back then.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univ...tower_shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    when every state had institutions for people who could not function in society, and those who couldn't be trusted. So, they were expensive to run and some folks believed them to be cruel and inhumane. So, we closed them and went for the concept of group homes and "MAINSTREAMING. We essentially placed a lot of folks who need to be in institutions either on the street to clutter up cities or placed unstable people in the MAINSTREAM. So, where has it gotten us? I do not believe there were any mass shootings 50 or 60 years ago. Never saw any headlines like it back then. One could buy guns through the mail from Sears or anywhere else. I remember seeing ads for Lugers in sporting magazines real cheap. If we had only realized, eh?

Pete
    In Tennessee we had Lions View, in Virginia we had Marion. All closed now!!!!

Sad there are some folks who really need mental health care and are living on the streets without any money or any food to eat. And not all are druggies several years back San Francisco rounded up their mentally ill on the streets and bought them bus tickets and sent them here to where I live. Some of you might recall it being on the news way back when it was a pretty big deal.