Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roughing Reamer

Roughing Reamer

Does anyone use a Roughing reamer anymore or has everyone gone to drill step method. Would the quality of the of the chambering be a bit nicer with a roughing reamer? Your opinions are much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ed

I find that I have the same finish with both methods. Roughing reamer just saves wear on the finish reamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Does anyone use a Roughing reamer anymore or has everyone gone to drill step method. Would the quality of the of the chambering be a bit nicer with a roughing reamer? Your opinions are much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ed
    It depends on how you chamber. If you single point bore the chamber in alignment with predetermined indicated spots like I do, the finish reamer does nothing more than establish the finish, size and shape of the chamber.

If you are using the reamer to remove all,of the stock, then I suppose a rougher would help.

But, from a machinist standpoint, be sure you do not induce some type of run out with the rougher. If that happens, your finisher will follow, and your work will be compromised.

For Benchrest and other extreme accuracy chambers, I am not a fan of roughing reamers.

I would never use a roughing reamer.

Is a roughing reamer the same as a core drill?

Quote Originally Posted by sdean View Post

Nothing like any core drills that I have seen.

Its a rough world out there

I have a roughing reamer. I used it for a while. Now I drill and straight line bore (just like I talk). I then use a carbide finishing reamer. Why carbide instead of HSS? I just love to remove and attach those little wire clips for the bushings. BTW any hints on how to manage those little buggers without launching them? I actually found one after it sprang away. I should have bought a lottery ticket immediately as the gods were smiling on me that day. Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Oltersdorf View Post
    I have a roughing reamer. I used it for a while. Now I drill and straight line bore (just like I talk). I then use a carbide finishing reamer. Why carbide instead of HSS? I just love to remove and attach those little wire clips for the bushings. BTW any hints on how to manage those little buggers without launching them? I actually found one after it sprang away. I should have bought a lottery ticket immediately as the gods were smiling on me that day. Tim
    Dave Manson taught me how to manage those little clips. He sent me a bag full of them. Up till then I used a white bed sheet spread on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by sdean View Post
    It is a smaller version of the chambering reamer meant to hog out most of the metal instead of wearing on the very high precision chambering reamer.

Probably more useful in a large production line than for a single gunsmith.

Using very rigid single use tools produces adequate production tolerances and reasonable quality.

I still pay more for a barrel for my Panda action varmint rifle than most do for a whole rifle.

Hand chambered to tight tolerance and just screw it on the action and the headspace is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Oltersdorf View Post
    well what I did was (got tired of spreading out a sheet and working in a bag) I bought a used MRI machine, stood it on end like a walk-in shower unit. if you do send one out the top it'll most often fall back in...

they pop up here and there on craigslist, you just gotta tell the seller you won't use them for doctoring.........maybe sign a paper......

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    well what I did was (got tired of spreading out a sheet and working in a bag) I bought a used MRI machine, stood it on end like a walk-in shower unit. if you do send one out the top it'll most often fall back in...

they pop up here and there on craigslist, you just gotta tell the seller you won't use them for doctoring.........maybe sign a paper......
    alinwa: I'm delighted to see you posting. Your posts are a primary reason that I check this board, but, but, this is a joke, right?!

GsT

Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    alinwa: I'm delighted to see you posting. Your posts are a primary reason that I check this board, but, but, this is a joke, right?!

GsT
    I wouldn't be too sure.

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post

MRI or CAT scan?

MRIs use a whole lot of liquid helium for the magnet and RF fields.

And massive amounts of 3-phase power.

They do not get along with anything with iron in it.

They image hydrogen ion concentrations (but can be tuned for a few other elements).

A CAT scan is x-rays and would be more useful on metal items.

Might have to up the x-ray strength though.

We x-ray inspected metal castings and dense metals took very high power levels.

Quote Originally Posted by brickeyee View Post
    MRI or CAT scan?

MRIs use a whole lot of liquid helium for the magnet and RF fields.

And massive amounts of 3-phase power.

They do not get along with anything with iron in it.

They image hydrogen ion concentrations (but can be tuned for a few other elements).

A CAT scan is x-rays and would be more useful on metal items.

Might have to up the x-ray strength though.

We x-ray inspected metal castings and dense metals took very high power levels.
    If you're going to be pedantic, then it's any hydrogen nucleus, not just hydrogen ions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Poole View Post
    If you're going to be pedantic, then it's any hydrogen nucleus, not just hydrogen ions.

Either way did he get an MRI machine or a CAT scanner?

MRI and iron are NOT a good combination.

They also do not tolerate less than continues use since the magnet takes days to cool down to superconducting.

Turning on 'on end' would also be a large feat.