Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: Scope and Bore not parallel

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    NEPA
    Posts
    16
    I always thought that you loosened the 3 small allen screws at the top edge of the turret, spin to align the 'zero's', and viola! scope is zeroed!!!



    Wolfdawg

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington
    Posts
    218

    Windage Adjustable Rings

    If you want, I have a set of 1" windage adjustable rings for Weaver style mounts, that I am no longer using I would send you to try. The windage adjustable rings have screws on both sides, where they connect to the base, allowing them to be adjusted independently from side to side. I have used similar rings on several rifles. I was taught to first count clicks from side to side to center the crosshairs within the scope. Then, assuming the crosshairs are centered, the front and rear windage adjustable rings are alternately moved in opposite directions in very small increments (to avoid stress on the scope tube) until the view of the crosshairs through the scope boresights to dead center. What you are doing with these rings is to rotate the entire scope side to side, to align it with the bore.
    Last edited by Slowshot; 05-22-2015 at 01:59 PM.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Palmyra, VA
    Posts
    19

    Sorry if already covered

    Quote Originally Posted by thekubiaks View Post
    I just mounted a Nightforce Scope on my Remington Sendero 700 Action. Nightforce 20MOA base and Nightforce rings. Scope is NF 5.5-22x56 and has 60MOA of windage adjustment (100MOA Elev).

    When I zero'd the gun at 100yd, no wind, the scope is not centered for windage. With the impacts centered on the paper at 100yds, the scope shows 8 MOA left of scope mechanical center. In other words, I have 22 MOA available of Left windage, and 38 MOA available for right windage. A gunsmith has recommended Millet Windage adjustable rings to center the scope. I was told shimming the base was a big NO. Are there any other suggestions??

    btw, my 2 benchrest guns with BAT actions are less than 1 MOA out of center in the same scenario.
    Are you sure the base was milled true? David Sams, a gunsmith with a lot of experience, states that on his tactical or competition rifle builds he never trusts commercial rails since so many he has tried have been milled askew. He mills his own to ensure alignment.
    Keith

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by keithherrington View Post
    Are you sure the base was milled true? David Sams, a gunsmith with a lot of experience, states that on his tactical or competition rifle builds he never trusts commercial rails since so many he has tried have been milled askew. He mills his own to ensure alignment.
    Keith
    You could get a new barrel but windage adjustable rings would be a lot less expensive. While confessing that I am not an experienced competition shooter, I have used such rings on several rifles and have come to appreciate how they center the scope, giving me full range left and right for windage. Once set, I can even change scopes, without needing to reset the rings, once they are aligned with the bore.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Chism G View Post
    As I write this,I have a 40X scope standing on the objective end on a flat mirror,inside an artificially lighted room. I can barely see one set of crosshairs.

    What would be the correct lighting for this experiment? Just Curious.



    Glenn
    Glenn, when i do this with my vari x hunting scopes i have to turn the power down low or i cant see the two crosshairs.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Mercer Island WA USA
    Posts
    212
    I realized on my own that I wanted to get the crosshairs in the middle of the scope tube, but I did not figure out the mirror trick.

    I would put the scope in a rifle with only the bottom halves of the rings installed. Then I would rotate the scope while looking through. I would adjust the elevation and windage until the cross hair center stayed on one point in the background.

    That is at least a 5 minute operation.

    Once I read about the mirror trick a couple years ago, I don't do it that way anymore. The mirror can be done in a minute. Sometimes I shine a flashlight in from the side.

    Now that I am retired from engineering, my goal is to keep making scope mounts in the home shop.

    Here is 12 second video of my boresighting.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJXO8kaXfJI

    If you want to see how I modified the Leupold zero point, that is a 32 minute video. It would make you sleepy.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by thekubiaks View Post
    I just mounted a Nightforce Scope on my Remington Sendero 700 Action. Nightforce 20MOA base and Nightforce rings. Scope is NF 5.5-22x56 and has 60MOA of windage adjustment (100MOA Elev).

    When I zero'd the gun at 100yd, no wind, the scope is not centered for windage. With the impacts centered on the paper at 100yds, the scope shows 8 MOA left of scope mechanical center. In other words, I have 22 MOA available of Left windage, and 38 MOA available for right windage. A gunsmith has recommended Millet Windage adjustable rings to center the scope. I was told shimming the base was a big NO. Are there any other suggestions??

    btw, my 2 benchrest guns with BAT actions are less than 1 MOA out of center in the same scenario.

    With all that expensive hardware on board, the problem is likely the scope. I'd send the it back to the manufacturer for adjustment. Even with $$$$ scopes there is no guarantee that the assembler did everything perfectly.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Hubert, NC
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by 4 Liberty View Post
    With all that expensive hardware on board, the problem is likely the scope. I'd send the it back to the manufacturer for adjustment. Even with $$$$ scopes there is no guarantee that the assembler did everything perfectly.
    The most expensive scope and mounting hardware on earth will usually end up less than straight when mounted on a factory Remington. The OP's experience is very common and the scope is about the least likely suspect (Although nothing is impossible I guess).

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by philipbrousseau View Post
    Glenn, when i do this with my vari x hunting scopes i have to turn the power down low or i cant see the two crosshairs.
    Sounds like you haven't adjusted the eye bell.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyh View Post
    Sounds like you haven't adjusted the eye bell.

    That is probably it. Many people do not realize that you first need to get the crosshairs in focus before adjusting anything else. Try putting your scope at maximum magnification and focused at infinity, looking at some kind of blank background. Then screw the rear lens in and out to find where the crosshairs are at the sharpest possible focus. Once you have done that, the crosshairs should be in sharp focus at any distance and any magnification. Then you should lock the crosshair's focus with the locking ring. If it is not possible to get sharply focused crosshairs at any distance and magnification with this procedure, your scope needs repair, or it is a poor quality scope.
    Last edited by Slowshot; 06-13-2015 at 02:52 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •