Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    A couple of Youtube creators who go to the junk yards and by LS engines trying to pick the aluminum blocks and heads, adding turbos to them and make them run. The LS engines seem to be very robust. They get 600 HP or more out of them, they claim anyway, with a street cam. I also watch Nicks Garage who pretty much only works on vintage MOPAR engines. Interesting stuff.

Pete
    Roadkill!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    A couple of Youtube creators who go to the junk yards and by LS engines trying to pick the aluminum blocks and heads, adding turbos to them and make them run. The LS engines seem to be very robust. They get 600 HP or more out of them, they claim anyway, with a street cam. I also watch Nicks Garage who pretty much only works on vintage MOPAR engines. Interesting stuff.

Pete
    Pete, there is a rather substantial industry built around doing just this.

There are thousands and thousands of 5.3 LS engines in junk yards everywhere in wrecked trucks, SUVís, and what ever. You can pull out the entire engine, wiring harness, everything to make it run.

Stick it in any car you want. Mid Ď70ís and 80ís 2 door sedans are popular. The cheaper the better. Add a big Chinese Turbo, retune the fuel curve in the fuel injection, add some water/meth injection, set the boost at about 18 pounds, and hang on.

The amount of power is only limited by the quality of the fuel, and how much you want to boost it. Sure, sooner or later, you will blow it up, but the object is to just go to the junkyard and get anther engine for about $700.

Finished the cam break in with no drama...no small task on these flat tappet race engines. It's all 'instrumented up' and ready to test some ideas on giving up less power in the oil pan. Nothin' to see here...it's just a Stocker.

But first things first....getting my pals new bullet into his Cobalt has proved to be a major time sucker of a dozen little things. The plenum on the new intake is 1/2" higher than the old one so now the carb linkage hits the hood scoop. To move it, it needed new mounting blocks machined to lower it. Now because it's lower, the throttle angle changes when it pulls on the carbs...so the side linkage needed tweaking...and then the air pan on the carbs doesn't fit the carbs squarely...after that's addressed, the air pan seal to the hood needs to be redone. Then the radiator hoses needed to be replumbed to work with the new heads.

He's headed to Pomona, Ca. for testing before the Winternationals and then on to Phoenix so we'll get to my engine after we've got his car squared away.

Like Gilda Radner's 'Roseanne Roseannadanna' character would say..."It's always something!"
    Last edited by Al Nyhus; 01-22-2020 at 08:11 AM.

At least you've found the tool for the job..... "when she don't fit, BFH!!"

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    At least you've found the tool for the job..... "when she don't fit, BFH!!"
    That was for fitting the new aluminum catch pan under the engine. The old one was a carbon fiber unit that ended up thrashed and splintered beyond repair.The interim fix was an engine diaper which fit like a saddle on a sow. -Al

Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    Pete, there is a rather substantial industry built around doing just this.

There are thousands and thousands of 5.3 LS engines in junk yards everywhere in wrecked trucks, SUVís, and what ever. You can pull out the entire engine, wiring harness, everything to make it run.

Stick it in any car you want. Mid Ď70ís and 80ís 2 door sedans are popular. The cheaper the better. Add a big Chinese Turbo, retune the fuel curve in the fuel injection, add some water/meth injection, set the boost at about 18 pounds, and hang on.

The amount of power is only limited by the quality of the fuel, and how much you want to boost it. Sure, sooner or later, you will blow it up, but the object is to just go to the junkyard and get anther engine for about $700.
    If I hadn't begun watching YouTubes a couple of years ago, I would have died never knowing some of these things exist. Living pretty far back from the "Main Stream" of America, likely I never would have found this out.

Pete

Al

Are you going to crew for him at the Winternationals before working on your car?

Mort

I have some great memories of trips to Pomona.....Don't be a squeak when it comes to finding a motel or you might meet some really interestimg people.

Mort, I won't be at Pomona....not sure about Phoenix.

Made some forward progress on the dyno. As usual, I came away with more questions to be answered or examined later. Now that we've plateaued the power level, the next test will be three different NHRA accepted fuels and we'll call it good. At some point, you've got to get these things off the dyno and take 'em down the track or risk getting caught up in dyno-data overload and sent down the wrong path. This is particularly truth with carbs and headers.

Like John Wayne said, we'll "Put an Amen to it!" -Al

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    Finished the cam break in with no drama...no small task on these flat tappet race engines. It's all 'instrumented up' and ready to test some ideas on giving up less power in the oil pan. Nothin' to see here...it's just a Stocker.

But first things first....getting my pals new bullet into his Cobalt has proved to be a major time sucker of a dozen little things. The plenum on the new intake is 1/2" higher than the old one so now the carb linkage hits the hood scoop. To move it, it needed new mounting blocks machined to lower it. Now because it's lower, the throttle angle changes when it pulls on the carbs...so the side linkage needed tweaking...and then the air pan on the carbs doesn't fit the carbs squarely...after that's addressed, the air pan seal to the hood needs to be redone. Then the radiator hoses needed to be replumbed to work with the new heads.

He's headed to Pomona, Ca. for testing before the Winternationals and then on to Phoenix so we'll get to my engine after we've got his car squared away.

Like Gilda Radner's 'Roseanne Roseannadanna' character would say..."It's always something!"
    Al, I "don't know sh^*%#@*&%" about engines, carbs, etc., but I must applaud your choice of tools - nice, and correctly colored hammer - that'll make anything "work"! RG

Quote Originally Posted by R.G. Robinett View Post
    Al, I "don't know sh^*%#@*&%" about engines, carbs, etc., but I must applaud your choice of tools - nice, and correctly colored hammer - that'll make anything "work"! RG
    LOL I know about hammers!!!......................................an d fingers ;-(

I've raced most of my life from motocross, dirt track to drag racing. Love it all, if I win the lottery you'll find me at the Range on Saturday and the track on Sunday (after church). ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by R.G. Robinett View Post
    Randy, when my pal produced the hammer, I told him about the infamous 'Red Hammer Incident'! He got a good laugh from it!

Here's a pic of the carnage. The checkered history of this gun and it's return from the brink of destruction is worthy of a thread all it's own, if there's any interest.

Last edited by Al Nyhus; 01-28-2020 at 10:09 AM.

Randy, when my pal produced the hammer, I told him about the infamous 'Red Hammer Incident'! He got a good laugh from it!

Here's a pic of the carnage. The checkered history of this gun and it's return from the brink of destruction is worthy of a thread all it's own, if there's any interest.

HOlee SCHNEIke, hannle AND bs!

Need a different sizing die much?

And the story is?

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    Need a different sizing die much?
    Ohhhhh, it had nothing to do with case sizing, believe me!

I'll talk with Randy....maybe he and I will collaborate on a thread about it. It's a story worth telling, for sure. -Al

OOOooohhhhh
    Fraught with truth, I trust.