Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage model 12 bolt problem

Savage model 12 bolt problem

I had my new savage model 12 6BR at the range today and after 25 rounds I started having some problems in that when I closed the bolt it seemed that it was not cocked. By this I mean that the trigger was locked up. If I worked the action a few times it would be ok. The problem seemed to be intermitent but obviously something was not right. Anybody else have a similar problem? I was cleaning the barrel after every 5 rounds as I was trying out new loads and had previously pretty much broken in the barrel. Other than that I am happy with the rifle so far, although I'm still in the process of finding the right loads. It's shooting .6 at 100 yds which is ok but not as good as I would like. It was too windy today to go out further. thanks for any ideas provided.

Savage 12 Bolt

At lighter trigger settings the sear can drop if the bolt is closed too hard. Try closing the bolt gently. Someone said that putting the tang safety in the middle position before closing the bolt keeps the sear fropm falling; I haven't tried that though. You can also increase the trigger pull. nhk

Increase the trigger pull. The little tool that came with the rifle will fit inside the opening on the trigger beneath the coil below the safety, it fits inside the spring that is threaded into the lever.

Trigger adjustment

Picture for reference. nhk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trigger pull adjustment.jpg 
Views:	1107 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	10043  

your problem is being caused by that piece of junk craputrigger! put a good trigger on that rifle, and you'll never have that problem again.

have 2 LRPV'S..all the same..using a Lyman digital pull gage..at the lightest adjustment ( 6 oz ) ..you can't close the action soft enough to keep the sear from tripping...at 8 oz it all goes away...works perfect..for a factory trigger..this is the best i've shot

Accutrigger

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    your problem is being caused by that piece of junk craputrigger! put a good trigger on that rifle, and you'll never have that problem again.
    Each to his own. I happen to like the (1.5-6#) accutrigger and have been shooting it for years on my varmint rifle. I've had the opportunity to shoot a lot of triggers (down to 2 oz.) I can't afford and am happpy with the accutrigger and adjusted Remington triggers that I generally shoot between 1-3/4 to 3-1/4#. The lighter target trigger on the LRP action can drop the sear on a hard bolt closing under 1# and that can get annoying and I could see replacing that if you want to shoot less than 1#. nhk

the 1.5# varmint craputrigger will do it to!

I have the same problem on my target action. I turned the trigger pull up some and the problem is alleviated. However the last time I went to the range the trigger backed down to the light wieght pull for some reason! Does anyone know of any other good after market triggers (other than SSS) for the Savage target action?

Quote Originally Posted by Heavies View Post
    I have the same problem on my target action. I turned the trigger pull up some and the problem is alleviated. However the last time I went to the range the trigger backed down to the light wieght pull for some reason! Does anyone know of any other good after market triggers (other than SSS) for the Savage target action?
    I have a Rifle Basics trigger on a model 12. It isn't in the same class as a Jewell but it sure beats the heck out of the accutrigger. I talked to one shooter who has both the Rifle basics and the SSS competition trigger on different Savages and prefers the Rifle Basics.

James

I know you said you didn't want SSS trigger but I had them time and true and install Evolution trigger on my F-12.
    It breaks at 1.5 ounces and even if I close the bolt hard it doesn't trip. Liked it so well I sent my other rifle in for the same work.

Chip

Check the screw at the end of the bolt. Mine has worked loose a couple times and caused strange things to happen.

This same problem just occurred to my Model 12 last weekend. So, it's the trigger? I have not touched the pull since I purchased the rifle and it worked perfect until last weekend. The rifle has maybe 400 rounds down the tube. Who sells the rifle Basix trigger? Maybe I'll just install anew trigger.

Savage target triggers..

First, none of the Savage or aftermarket triggers are on a par with Jewel, Shilen, Kelbly triggers.

The savage Target accutrigger needs to be broken in and will need constant adjustment for the first 1500 rounds. They also become irratic set below 8 oz.

The Rifle Basix Sav-2 will go lighter than the Savage Accutrigger. The Safety on the Rifle Basix is a liability. If the Rifle Basix trigger is set below 8-10 oz the gun can fire when the safety is used. To the uninformed shooter this can result in an AD.

Beware

Nat Lambeth