Thread: AR barrel gas port hole size?

AR barrel gas port hole size?

I am making my first AR15 Barrel , 20 inch CM, when I fire my bolt goes back far enough to eject the empty case but not far enough to pick up the new one, does this sound like to small a hole size or does anyone else have another suggestion? gas tube is rifle length, im using Pmags, A proven upper, ammo tried is remington 55 grn, wolf 55 grn and some 55 grn hand loads

Add weight to buffer/carrier to eliminate the short stroking dilemma.

how big is the gas port hole ?
    is it lined up to the gas block ?
    is the gas tube straight thru the reciever ?(not casuing the carrier to drag).

is the bleed hole in the rear buffer tube/stock screw open ?...is there a hole ?

short stock ?
    right buffer spring ?

mike in co

Proper lubrication in the correct places also will help. Ensure there is a light lube on the bolt carrier along it's contact points and also don't neglect the buffer spring and receiver extension. Clean those up and lube sparingly. When you cycle the action by hand it should be smooth feeling, if it feels 'dry and gritty' it needs some cleaning. All the aforementioned points are also probable suspects. On a 20" barrel with rifle length gas tube the port diameter is around .093".

Check the gas rings on the bolt and make sure the slots are staggered and are not lined up and causeing a gas leak. RANDY

.093" is plenty large for normal operation ... some guns even run in the .078" range. Gotta be somewhere else.