Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rem 40-X ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rem 40-X ?

Are ALL of the Remington 40-X, centerfire models trued/squared/blueprinted (whatever the proper terminology is) at the factory or Custom shop ? Or are the single shot 40-XBR (Benchrest series) models the only ones ?

In my experience working with the 40x's, I have found that some are less true than the standard 700, meaning more runout.

40x rem actions are not trued at the factory, singleshot or repeater.
    They are within factory tollerance. For whatever thats worth.

GStick

The only difference in a 40x action and a standard 700 Short Action (mechanical wise), is the 40X does not have the magazine cut away.

Your next question is probably, "then why do they cost so much". Simple. You are paying for a name. It does, after all, have "40X" stamped on the side of the action.

I suspect when the local 40X cult members read this, the battle of words will begin. It's only been about a month since the last "hash and bash of the 40X" took place.

Most of the 40X's popularity centers around investment value, not shooting. It's almost like a bunch of shooters are buying and selling these things among each other, hoping for the occasional ignorant, and gullible, shooter to happen along and sip the cool aid, and open the check book..........jackie
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 01-16-2010 at 04:20 PM.

Very interesting. On "Big Greens" website, under Custom Shop, it says that the 40-X models are blueprinted. Also, the 40-XBR doesn't have Remington 40-XBR "STAMPED", it is etched on the action, so as not to stress the action. This is all what I found out today by searching, so I don't know if any of it is true. Thank You all for the responses!

Stick

Maybe "BIG GREENS" of definition of truing an action is a tad different than what most precision Gunsmiths believe.

All I can tell you is this. I have trued five 40x actions. They dated from early 80's to late 90's. None were any truer than a typical 700 out of the box.

I think any competent Craftsman will tell you the same thing.

Keep in mind, Remington also sells the 40x as a "Benchrest" Rifle. I guess that is true, just not a very good one..........jackie

40x

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    The only difference in a 40x action and a standard 700 Short Action (mechanical wise), is the 40X does not have the magazine cut away.

Your next question is probably, "then why do they cost so much". Simple. You are paying for a name. It does, after all, have "40X" stamped on the side of the action.

I suspect when the local 40X cult members read this, the battle of words will begin. It's only been about a month since the last "hash and bash of the 40X" took place.

Most of the 40X's popularity centers around investment value, not shooting. It's almost like a bunch of shooters are buying and selling these things among each other, hoping for the occasional ignorant, and gullible, shooter to happen along and sip the cool aid, and open the check book..........jackie
    G'Day Jackie i bought one here in Australia in .222Mag and it would not shoot and then had it converted to .223Rem and still wouldn't shoot so i got a felt tip pen and covered the locking lugs and found the one was just touching on the very edge of the lug and that what was wrong it needed lapping. got it cheap about A$600.00 i think that why the other owner sold it he could get it to shoot either.PS goes alright now Bruce

Bob Pease Accuracy Collection

Some of us are hunters and gatherers.......

http://

40xbr

Are any of the 40X series as accurate as a custom bench gun? NO
    Are they worth going to all the expense to make them BR competitive? NO
    Will a 6X47 compete with a 6 PPC? NO
    Are the a pleasure to shoot and own a bit of history? Yes
    Here is one re-chambered by Nelson Berger in 22 PPC. It will not out shoot any of my benchrest rifles but I'll never sell it because I love it. There is just no accounting for some peoples taste.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r283/40X/40XBR.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Del Martin View Post
    Are any of the 40X series as accurate as a custom bench gun? NO
    Are they worth going to all the expense to make them BR competitive? NO
    Will a 6X47 compete with a 6 PPC? NO
    Are the a pleasure to shoot and own a bit of history? Yes
    Here is one re-chambered by Nelson Berger in 22 PPC. It will not out shoot any of my benchrest rifles but I'll never sell it because I love it. There is just no accounting for some peoples taste.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r283/40X/40XBR.jpg

Can a Remington 40-X or a model 700 (for that matter) be competitive (after proper truing by a proffessional riflesmith) at the 600 and 1000 yard disciplines ? You better believe it !

Rem 40X

I never sold them short.
    I have one that i bought new in 72.
    It was a 40Xbr stainless barrel 2 oz trigger.
    The price was whooping $400 at the time.
    It had two test target with loads, the caliber was 6x/47 remington.
    The was a nice .250 group with IMR 4895 and a 60 sierra.
    The second was smaller with 26.3 of Hodgdons 4895 and the same sierra.
    I had nothing to complain about .
    The targets were fired in a test tunnel with standard brass.
    I used the loads for quite a while, but neck turning the brass and it shot
    Even better.
    The Rifle at that time WAS HIGHLY ACCURATE Warren pages book talked about it in detail AKA the 1/4 minute Rifle/
    I think that's what's laking today a Factory rifle that will keep up with
    The custom ones of today. The only other ones at the time had to be
    Built by a smith.
    Givin the times i would do it again.

John,
    I did not mean to suggest that 40Xs are any better than they have been described, just that there are probably differences depending on when they were made and what version. Indeed, my last sentence was meant to say exactly what yours did. I was just relaying a little history. If I was building a fine varmint rifle, I would much rather use one of the Remington clones, much more economical than paying a premium for a 40X and having it trued, and tightened. Friends have rifles based on Stiller's, and they are very happy with how they shoot.
    Boyd

Petrea(Ohio 124) On Salt Crick in SE Ohio

Post 40X Build Pure American

The 40X is kinda like a cult. I have a RF...yes,I know.I got just the receiver from Gene Davis a BR RF smith of some fame. PT&G,bolt a Hall Firing Pin and a Kelly trigger....I'm from Ohio. Lilja barrel.Even a new bolt handle and knob.
    Gene told me it was made while Mike Walker ran the custom shop.This seems to be the mark,when Mike Walker ran the "Shop".
    After Gene did his magic...it is a range buster.
    Again,it is a cult thing....pure american.

Exclamation My Rem 700 beats a 40X

But ! Its been blue printed,Bedded ,Holand recoil lug, Jewell Trigger and HART BBL Just Saturday I shot a 5 shot group of .237 caliber 6x284 AVG of 4,000 FPS,not bad for a rifle the gun smith who built it says BBL has sever throat erosion.

I own 3 40xs A CMP 22 A Wood stocked singleshot 222 & a synthetic 223 repeater. NONE are benchrest rifles all shoot pretty good Just like the semi custom Coopers I have , I LIKE EM & WONT GET RID OF THEM. BOUGHT THEM KNOWING WHAT THEY WERE BEFORE I BOUGHT THEM. I also own a couple of single shot savages 1/2 price double ugly shoots about the same , Id trade both for another 40x or Cooper