Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Bore Guide

Smile Best Bore Guide

I remember reading on a forum about "the best" bore guide availaable. I just received a Bat small varmit rifle in 20 Tac and would like to get the best. Your advice appreciated.

Smile Best Bore Guide

Mike Lucas of Lucas Bore Guides_ Lexington, SC!

Diddo for Mike Lucas, that is the one that I use. Dave Halblom also makes bore guides. I have never used one of his, but if it is like any of his other products, it will be top notch.

Stanley

Bore Guides

I met Mike Lucas years ago and got some of his bore guides. They work extremely well. Mike has always been there when I asked for prizes for benchrest schools, postals, and the Michigan Score Series. He gives selflessly. Mike Lucas can be reached at 803-356-0282

Then I met David Halblom. David makes a bore guide similar to Mike's. David also gives freely to deserving causes. David can be reached at 515-556-5833

T.K. Nollan is reputed to make the very best but T.K. has never helped out with prizes for anything I've been witness to so I can't personally say if they are good or bad.

HAving seen them all

Quote Originally Posted by FBecigneul View Post
    I met Mike Lucas years ago and got some of his bore guides. They work extremely well. Mike has always been there when I asked for prizes for benchrest schools, postals, and the Michigan Score Series. He gives selflessly. Mike Lucas can be reached at 803-356-0282

Then I met David Halblom. David makes a bore guide similar to Mike's. David also gives freely to deserving causes. David can be reached at 515-556-5833

T.K. Nollan is reputed to make the very best but T.K. has never helped out with prizes for anything I've been witness to so I can't personally say if they are good or bad.
    TK's has them all beat, hands down. They are a bit pricey but so are barrels and crown jobs. I saw one in use a few days ago and I must say, I was impressed.

TK's guide is a work of art vs an adjustable wrench. David's guide is a step up from the Lucas, IMHO. One of the big plusses to either TK's or Davids is the longer rod inserts = more support. I have ruined crowns over the years using my Lucas guide. I am currently using one of David's.

Bore Guide

I use TK Nolans bore guide and they are very nice and TK is a very nice gentleman. I don't see how the generosity of a person has to do with this question.

I have 2

of TK's bore guides and they are absolute 1st class!

Hmm

Pete
    "I have ruined crowns over the years using my Lucas guide. I am currently using one of David's. "

Splain to me what a rod guide has to do with damaging a crown? As I see it the easiest way to damage a crown while cleaning would be to have an over sized jag or brush and an undersized rod. When you draw back on the rod, that would rake the crown.

Smallcaliber
    I've seen so few of the Nollan's and have never used one. How can I judge one? And that was what I was saying; I didn't knock T.K. or the bore guide.

Pete Wass

If you can ruin a crown with a lucas bore guide, you have the handle screwed on the wrong end of the rod

Quote Originally Posted by smallcaliber View Post
    I use TK Nolans bore guide and they are very nice and TK is a very nice gentleman. I don't see how the generosity of a person has to do with this question.
    Generosity?

Though some view it as generosity, others view it as cheap advertising. When asked to donate to the benchrest school where 40 new shooters (perspctive customers) would be gathered, Mike Lucas jumped at the chance to Generously give, David Insisted he not only generously give but also Instruct at the school. TK asked if we knew how many of these things he sells and claimed he doesn't make enough of them to warrent giving one away. Maybe cheap advertising would help him, I don't know.

David makes the best one that I can vouch for, Mike Lucas makes the best one that we all can afford. And I've never torn up a crown with a Lucas rod guide. I like to see when fellas give back to the sport.

Paul
    Last edited by pbike; 12-12-2009 at 03:53 PM.

Smile

Thank to everyone for their imput.

I realize I am slow. I just noticed you

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo Jim View Post
    I remember reading on a forum about "the best" bore guide availaable. I just received a Bat small varmit rifle in 20 Tac and would like to get the best. Your advice appreciated.
    are talking about a 204 cartridge. I make guides specifically for all the 204 CF cartridges. I may be the only one who does. E-mail me and we can discuss this further.

David

Cool bore guide

I dont under stand stand whats holding the end of the cleaning rod up if your patch falls off when pulling the rod back.whats keeping it from draging on the bottom of rifleing when pulling it back out?Remember your rod is 28 inches or so.Its gotta drag on its way back out right?

Bore Rider Jags

Hi Guys,

My name is Don and I'm the "Bore Rider Barrel Care Products" guy. I heard that Pete Wass asked about our jags last month on Benchrest Central, and some orders have come in thanks to the guys that pointed Pete in our direction.

I just thought I'd add my 2 cents here along with the link to our web site. There are a number of good rod guides out there and they do a great job of trying to save the throat on your barrel. After that patch falls off though is where things can go wrong. If your patch holding segments are bigger in diameter than your rod you are probably clunking them over your crown while pulling your rod back through. (not good) If your segments are smaller than your rod diameter your rod is going to act like a lap for just about it's whole length until the rod guide can truly support it again somewhere just in front of the chamber. (again not good) Polished hardened stainless steel rods to plastic coated rods, they all will still act as a lap.

If you take the time to go to our web site and view and read about our products you will find that these are two of the problems that we have tried to alleviate. The long bore riding shoulders on our jags that are made for bores under 40 caliber run about .006" under bore size. They are long enough to allow you time to stop pushing once your patch clears the muzzle so that the joint between the rod and jag should never come in contact with your barrel, and they are designed so that the patch holding segments will not come in contact with the crown while pulling the rod back in. Our 22 caliber jags and brush guides have received a warm reception from the rimfire benchrest shooters, especially when used on 20 caliber rods. When you can put together a good fitting rod guide with a properly sized rod and our jags or brush guides your rod should never come into contact with your bore. Now I know some of you are already thinking "but Don, your jags and brush guides will also act as a lap" and yes, you are correct, but they only act as a lap on the 2" long area that they are touching which is very little when compared with the contact area your rod has while going in an out. The other nice thing about using our jags is that you won't get a false blue copper indication like you can from some other jags. For those of you who may be wondering, we make our products from "Acetron GP" which is a delrin type material. It has more inherent lubricity then delrin without the porosity problem. One of it's uses in industry is as a bearing surface either in the flat or in the round due to it's lubricity.

Here is the link to our site. I hope you enjoy reading about our products, and thank you for letting me take up your time. http://www.boreriderbarrelcareproducts.com/

Good Shooting!
    Don ...BRBCP ...