Thread: Harrell's Compact vs. Combo

Harrell's Compact vs. Combo

Time to upgrade from the RCBS partner to something better for reloading at the range. I currently use a Bruno's arbor press and have no compliants with it. Question - is combo press worth it or just go with a compact and separate arbor? Has anyone went with the combo, only to go back to separate presses, if so - why? Just want to make sure the combo gives a good "feeling" as the bullet seats.

Input please. Thanks from a rookie, tiny

The "Innocent one" is correct, go with the combo, oh and the sizing die, and the powder measure....

I have to say that my own criteria for a range press is which does a better job of making the most accurate loaded ammo. I do believe that your Partner press because of it's slop will do that job. I own both the Harrell's Compact and the Partner press. My Harrell is sure nice, but the Partners does a better job. I know this seem backward, at least it does to me, the proof is on the paper.

I like my combo. I leave the clamp on when I pack it, wrap the whole thing in a piece of bath towel to prevent scratching, and load it first, into the bottom of the aluminum catalog case that I got at Harbor freight.

You might want to look at the Harrels press that is a copy of the Hood press. I have the Harrel's compact and happy with it. There is someone else that offers a copy of the Hood press and they have them listed in the classified ads here. http://www.benchrest.com/cgi-bin/cla...uery=retrieval
    Last edited by jazzy; 08-28-2009 at 05:31 AM.

Even though it isn't the cheapest way to go, I have two of the Harrell's Combo Presses and like them quite a lot. I would have bought the Hood's but they weren't available when I went looking. Scotty Crawford is not making a copy of the Hood press...it is the Hood press. Mr. Hood just doesn't have the time to make them himself anymore. Mr Hood also makes one of the best bullet pullers for the ppc I have ever seen...got one and love it.

Hovis

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    You might want to look at the Harrels press that is a copy of the Hood press. I have the Harrel's compact and happy with it. There is someone else that offers a copy of the Hood press and they have them listed in the classified ads here. http://www.benchrest.com/cgi-bin/cla...uery=retrieval
    That is Scotty Crawford, and he is now building Hood presses with Charlie Hood's permission.

scotty's hood press is the only way to go. craftsmanship is the best there is out there.

I went with the Harrels Combo, and I will never go back to separate presses