Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gene Bukys' .099" group from WBC10

Gene Bukys' .107" group from WBC10

... from yesterday, LV100. 2.74mm, or .107"

Sorry that I posted .099" in the heading. That is MOA... .107" i correct
    Last edited by Chocolate Moose; 06-24-2009 at 04:38 PM.

MainE - State Animal - Moose (Alces alces)

Talking Man ..

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate Moose View Post

look at that vertical!

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate Moose View Post

Yep, 0.03937 x mm = in

Gene must have that strange powder figured out.

Great group.

Jerry

What powder do you think Gene is using???........jackie
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 06-24-2009 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    What powder do you think Gene is using???........jackie
    there was talk of only S335 @ WBC

al

Powder

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    there was talk of only S335 @ WBC

al
    Some of the guys took their favorite stuff.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Coots View Post
    Some of the guys took their favorite stuff.

Dave
    aahhhhh

al

Components

At last report, shooters figured out ways, totally within the rules of the WBC, and of course, within the laws of the Countries involved, to bring enough of their own powder to shoot.

The rules did not say you could not bring your powder into the Country, it just severley limited you on the amount.

Which brings me to a good point. Benchrest is a VERY equipment oriented endevour. Shooters compete, and qualify, with a specific set-up. Heck, shooters spend countless hours, dollars, and headache arriving at just thye right combination that will allow them to be competitive.

Only the ignorant would think they could just go into a totally foriegn enviroment, be forced to use components that they were not familiar with, and expect to be competitive. That would be ludicrous.

Don't give me that old crap of "good shooters can adapt". The only person who would believe that is someone who is totally ignorant of the requirements of Benchrest at the highest levels...........jackie
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 06-24-2009 at 09:31 PM.

nice group!!!
    you are correct Jackie.
    Maarten

At last report, shooters figured out ways, totally within the rules of the WBC, and of course, within the laws of the Countries involved, to bring enough of their own powder to shoot.

The rules did not say you could not bring your powder into the Country, it just severley limited you on the amount.

Which brings me to a good point. Benchrest is a VERY equipment oriented endevour. Shooters compete, and qualify, with a specific set-up. Heck, shooters spend countless hours, dollars, and headache arriving at just thye right combination that will allow them to be competitive.

Only the ignorant would think they could just go into a totally foriegn enviroment, be forced to use components that they were not familiar with, and expect to be competitive. That would be ludicrous.

Don't give me that old crap of "good shooters can adapt". The only person who would believe that is someone who is totally ignorant of the requirements of Benchrest at the highest levels...........jackie
    Jackie,
    Maybe in centerfire.
    At the rimfire BR World Championships in Italy last year I know of one good shooter who borrowed a gun, didnít shoot it in practice, only in the match and never shot that brand of action before.
    Didnít use the pet ammo for the gun, just bought some at the range.
    Yet he still won?

Maybe good rimfire shooters are just a little more adaptable than good centerfire shooters??

Peter
    Last edited by Peter Armstrong; 06-25-2009 at 05:19 AM. Reason: can't spell

Only the ignorant would think.........

Don't give me that old crap.....

...jackie
    I don't think my post above deserves that kind of response!!

WBC Powder

Somewhere along the line it was stated, correctly or not, that the WBC members would all be shooting a common powder provided by the host.

A friend of mine who is with the powder maker ADI in Australia had taken the effort to obtain a sample of this powder, Somechem S335.

He charted the pressure/temperature data from that powder over the data of some of our common US benchrest powders. That Excel file is attached.

I had forwarded that data to Jim Kelbly who forwarded it to Wayne Campbell who in turn forwarded the data to the WBC members.

Whatever the rules are and whatever the international transport of powder is I have no knowledge or control. I had been under the impression they would have all used the same propellant.

Any top benchrest shooter should be able to take a winning quality barrel, a winning quality bullet and a winning quality powder and work up a potentially winning quality load should they not????
    Last edited by JerrySharrett; 06-25-2009 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JerrySharrett View Post
    Any top benchrest shooter should be able to take a winning quality barrel, a winning quality bullet and a winning quality powder and work up a potentially winning quality load should they not????
    Within reason I agree. The problem would be in knowing what to change when the load went south. Also being forced to shoot a particular bullet when your barrel doesn't like it would be a big disadvantage. The barrels I've been shooting lately like some bullets while others shoot groups twice as big.

I disagree

The perameters of Competitive Benchrest have not changed. This game is still the most equipment dependent shooting discipline.

Jerry, I was not aiming that post at you, I was aiming it at those who are ignorant of the requirements of Benchrest, where shooters spend countless hours and dollars perfecting a specific combination. I will admitt that it does appear to be aimed at you because you made the inquiry as to the powder.

When this is all said and done, we will find out for sure just what components the shooters were using. But, I have a good feeling that Gene is shooting 683-03 133, his own bullet, a new Bartlien Gain Twist on that red Rifle with the Bat 3-lug.

I might be wrong, but I have been watching Gene get prepared for this event for some time. He leaves no stone unturned. When it come to dedication to detail, Gene is most dilegent..........jackie

The perameters of Competitive Benchrest have not changed. This game is still the most equipment dependent shooting discipline.
    A world class shooter can use most any equipment as long as it is winning quality. I've seen Tony B go from Shilen to Krieger to Bartlin, to other barrels and won. He has combined March and Leupold scopes and won. He has, in recent times used several different bullet makers and won.

He has changed gunsmiths at least 3 times I know of and won. Same on powders and different lots within those powders. There are several other World Class shooters I could name that have done the same, use various top quality components, in various mixes and they win.