Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adjusting trigger timing, firing pin fall, Rem 700?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    not all that much indentation in my SR primers with .055" pin tip protrusion, actually had to increase it by .005" to get them to fire in that rifle. I'm quite sure 30 to 40 thou wouldn't do it in the rifle. Not saying it won't in others but dealing with what I have. I'm going to use one of the pins I have to drill another hole in it, shorten the butt and the front of the cocking piece and see what happens. Ill report what I find. As an aside, the .220" both rifles have for fall seems to work but one always wonders if they might find more, doesn't one?

Pete
    Before you do that remember that doing so will position your cocking piece farther forward relative to the front of the firing pin flange. Check how much clearance you have between the bottom of the cocking cam notch and the nose of the cocking piece. If you move the hole forward by that much or more, your cocking piece will become the dry fire stop and the cross pin that secures it will take all the impact. Not good. Of course this will probably only be when you are dry firing, but still it is not a good idea. Normally, when actually firing a round, the primer stops the firing pin, well short of maximum protrusion. If I were you, I would be doing a lot of measuring to see why you need that much protrusion to fire a primer. Something unusual is going on there. How deep are your seated primers below your case heads?

I have not measured the primers

Quote Originally Posted by Boyd Allen View Post
    Before you do that remember that doing so will position your cocking piece farther forward relative to the front of the firing pin flange. Check how much clearance you have between the bottom of the cocking cam notch and the nose of the cocking piece. If you move the hole forward by that much or more, your cocking piece will become the dry fire stop and the cross pin that secures it will take all the impact. Not good. Of course this will probably only be when you are dry firing, but still it is not a good idea. Normally, when actually firing a round, the primer stops the firing pin, well short of maximum protrusion. If I were you, I would be doing a lot of measuring to see why you need that much protrusion to fire a primer. Something unusual is going on there. How deep are your seated primers below your case heads?
    but they have been trued up with a standard SR uniformer I have been using for the 20 or so years I've been benchrest shooting, it not ever have been a problem in any of the other dozen or so BR rifles I have owned and shot over that time. Actually, the problem manifested itself before I "Uniformed" the pockets in these cases. I took Al's advice on shooting them first before unforming. Likely the .220" fall is adequate as the Sister action or Brother depending if a Bolt Gun is male or female has always shot very well. I simply wanted to go with what the Father of the 700 recommended is all. Any additional modifications necessary I can do. There is a difference in the age of the actions, the newer one being one of the latest SS 700s available for sale at selected stocking dealers. Doubt if that makes a difference but who knows? The extra .005" didn't unduly indent the primers.

Pete