Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cz 527 varmint

Cz527

One problem I am having is a lot of primers getting pierced without any other signs of pressure...Is this normal with this gun? Also I would like to speed the lock up a little, Have you two ever put in a little tighter spring?

You shouldn't be blanking primers. See if the pin is rough and or switch to a tougher primer. You will have faster lock time by not using the set feature. You can get the regular trigger pretty nice and not use the set. Kenny

Cz527

Ok I will work on the trigger..As for the pin it may be too sharp or possibly to long>>>>Anyone know what the protusion is supposed to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevep51d View Post
    One problem I am having is a lot of primers getting pierced without any other signs of pressure...Is this normal with this gun? Also I would like to speed the lock up a little, Have you two ever put in a little tighter spring?
    Stop using Winchester primers! They are the softest out there. Steer clear of brass colored primers. Get a nickel primer like a CCI or Federal.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevep51d View Post
    Ok The results are in....Finally after getting the gun put together correctly and lapping in the lugs I got this rifle to the range today..The gun shot equally well with both Sierra 40 varmint and Hornady V-maxs...Groups were about 3/4 inch or a little smaller for 5 shots with no flyers....I am now happy with this rifle and look forward to playing smackdown with the local coyotes soon.......When I have time I will play with the powder A little and brass....By the way I was Shooting AA2015 25 grains, Cheapo Remington brass with Winchester primers...Thanks for the assistance from everyone! Steve
    Most factory guns out there aren't going to shoot really well w/o some bedding work and lapping the lugs. The exceptions might be Sako and Tikka(another Sako). Your lugs however were particularly bad. For more accuracy ditch that Remington brass. Winchester is a little better, but won't yield much better accuracy unless you weight sort after uniforming primer pockets, trimming to length, and de-burring flash-holes. With Lapua and Norma you can skip the flash-holes. Go ahead and uniform primer pockets and trim to length before you weight sort, but I can promise you'll be able to that job much faster, because the pockets are more uniform, and you'll get more cases weight almost the same weight as well. V-maxes are great economy varmint bullet, but for paper they seem a little lacking. I've shot Hornady A-maxes and FB Match bullets almost as good as a good custom bullet. Nosler Ballistic Tips shoot better than V-maxes. For more accuracy on a budget I'd say shoot Noslers in Lapua brass. If you're really strapped then get some Winchester brass and be prepared to spend a LOT of time in prep or it just won't shoot any better. Also, you should partial size(use FL die turned out a few turns so that it only sizes a little over half the neck), not FL. Check seating depth. You may not get maximum accuracy with a loaded round that fits in the mag. This will also be the case for most rifles not just CZ. My personal experience with CZ has been that they make outstanding rifles for a gun in their price range. Tikka probably has everyone under $1000 beat for out of the box accuracy though.

I love:
    Mausers
    Ruger #1s

I will shoot:
    Savage 110
    Rem 700
    Howa 1500
    AR15s

Not buying any more:
    FALs
    Garrands
    SKSs
    AK47s
    :
    :
    :
    CZ527s
    Bolt action Mossberg shotguns

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    I love:
    Mausers
    Ruger #1s

I will shoot:
    Savage 110
    Rem 700
    Howa 1500
    AR15s

Not buying any more:
    FALs
    Garrands
    SKSs
    AK47s
    :
    :
    :
    CZ527s
    Bolt action Mossberg shotguns
    I really have to disagree with most of your list. You also can't really lump all Mauser's, FAL's or AR's into one group. If you're going to then for crying out loud a CZ 527 is a Mauser.

Cz527

Well been a while since I've been on the forum but just a update to the 527...I have been shooting Lapua brass with AA2015 at 25 grain with the 40 grain flat base Sierra bullet and the rifle now shoots like a lazer. Using cci br primers. Friends of mine did not believe when I told them 5 shots way under a dime so I let them take the gun home and shoot it themselves and now everyone wants to buy this rifle off me..Just glad I did not quit her....Just amazing. I am just neck sizing about 7/8s of the neck leaving a small donut on the neck then loading. I did lap the lugs for 100 percent contact. The gun does not like boat tails but loves the flat base bullets.
    Last edited by Stevep51d; 01-12-2017 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Add info

My problem is the two bolt faces that have failed.
    That has never happened to me in 51 years with 100 real Mausers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CZ527withboltaction with extractor and bolt face blown off 8-15-2013.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	18847  

Cz

Wow I have never heard of that with the cz. What was the caliber?

I think originally 22 hornet, but converted to 19 cal wildcat based on 30 carbine case.

Cz

What do you think contributed to the issue, Maybe to hard and brittle metal?

The chamber may have been over chamfered causing unsupported case wall causing case failure. The bolt failures were secondary caused by gas. In a 98 Mauser, from the times I have seen it, the extractor fails, but the bolt head does not break into pieces.

Cz

Thanks for the info, I will keep the safety glasses on and monitor the gun a little closer.