Thread: WC 860 powder

WC 860 powder

I am wondering what burn rate this and what it whould be good to use in? its re-claimed military powder. WC 860

thanks, Ron Tilley

Originally used in 50bmg. This website says you can use H870 and AA8700 load data for WC860 but I would be careful in doing so.

http://www.gibrass.com/gunpowder.html

Quote Originally Posted by Yote View Post
    Originally used in 50bmg. This website says you can use H870 and AA8700 load data for WC860 but I would be careful in doing so.

http://www.gibrass.com/gunpowder.html
    the reason for asking is because I have a friend that has a 7mm ultra mag and is trying to make this powder work. thanks, Ron Tilley

I have about 5 lbs. of it left out of the 8 I bought. I bought it for a wildcat I have. The lot I have is slower than H870 but it burns about the same, in other words,dirty! I have better luck using rl25 and retumbo, velocity and group sizes are better and the barrel doesn't foul nearly as badly as with wcc860.
    Hope you have better luck with it than I've had, also one last thing, this powder isn't controlled as well as commercial powder so you should always start over when you change lots, they say it can be over 15% difference.
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by tgp View Post
    I have better luck using rl25 and retumbo, velocity and group sizes are better and the barrel doesn't foul nearly as badly as with wcc860.
    Glenn
    I'm not saying WC-860 is particularly clean burning, but most powders will leave residue if they're too slow for a particular application and burn at relatively low pressure.
    Last edited by Louis Boyd; 05-11-2008 at 01:18 PM.

Alll I know is what I see, when I can work up loads thats flatten primers with 870 and 860 and after about 20 shots the powder fouling is bad enough to cause the gun to start patterning thats what I report. When using rl25 I'm using less powder and I can shoot 50 or so rounds with any problems I say it's cleaner burning. My freind has a 30-378 and has tried some of the 860 and gave it back to me, if someone gives up free powder I say thats bad.