Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Savage 12F - Reports?

Its funny you mentioned 4831 SC my F-class did better with it the second time out with almost that same load you suggested..

My 142s should be in this week!

Jason

Your barrel is still new and most likely not broken in yet. Your group will probably get better. The OAL using the 142 SMK is 3.165 just a short jump
    to the rifling.
    Enclosed are the pics of the 600 yd targets.
    Ed

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...7/CIMG0473.jpg
    http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...7/CIMG0474.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	th_652-284006.jpg 
Views:	679 
Size:	4.0 KB 
ID:	5710   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	th_652-284007.jpg 
Views:	511 
Size:	3.9 KB 
ID:	5711  
    Last edited by passion4shootin; 05-22-2008 at 06:30 PM. Reason: better quality pics

I am sure its not broke in with 50 shots throught it.

How do the 140s SMKs compare to teh 142s

I am sure the BC is not as good.

This week should tell the tail
    on accuracy my 142s should be in.

Haven't tried the 140 SMKs yet. I got lots of 139 Lapua Scenar bullet, BC supposedly around 0.6xx, haven't tried them either. I will post the result when I compare them. Got lots of testing ( fun ) ahead of me.

Shoot well.
    Ed
    Last edited by passion4shootin; 05-21-2008 at 01:44 PM. Reason: spelling

I just got a 65/284 three weeks ago. After proper barrell breakin, it shoots as well as the customs I've shot against so far out to 1,000 yds. A couple of the other shooters were impressed enough to go out and order one.

Mine is bone stock, right out of the box. It is good enough that I just ordered an F/TR in .308.

Bought a Savage F-Class open in 6.5x284 Norma a month ago. I have not had any of the issues mentioned in this thread. Shoots well.

http://www.savagearms.com/12f_class.htm

Chip

I must have gotten a Friday afternoon rifle as I am at 350 rounds and not a group worth talking about at 200 yards.

2 rounds will touch and the third is a flyer, no rhyme or reason. SD and ES are in single digits. Powder has been varied, RL 22, 19, H4350, N160. Primers have been BR 2 and GM 205M.

Brass Lapua and Nosler weight sorted to 1/2 grain.

Sierra 142 HPBT Match .020 out of the lands, at the lands and .010 into the lands.

Bullets are in the horizontial, so the harmonic of the barrel seems OK.

Going to try bedding the action if 4831 SC doesn't work out.

If anybody has any helpful thoughts, please let me know.

Bob.

Bob,

Bedding is always a good start. Check your scope mounts and if you're using a new (untested) scope, switch with one from a tack driver. If it still shoots bad a check of the crown and a bore scope would be in order. We unfortunately in order to get a rifle to shoot well change a lot of things at the same time making pinpointing of the culprit really difficult. IMHO it will shoot well after bedding.
    Keep us posted.

Ed

I found my F-class savage loves H-4350 at 48.0 grains soft on the lands and 142s as well as 140s but 142s a bit better.

It sho tin the .4s for 5 shot groups with one poor group i blew.

H4831 is not the powder for my rifle at all,

Next week i will try seating depths and up and down a few grains of powder.

I also want to try those 140 grain A-max bullets they shot well in my 6br this weekend.

I am happy with my 6.5 savage. It shoots Moa, and thats all I can ask for.

Smile Savage bedding: problems?

The factory version of "bedding" leaves a lot to be desired. With both of mine, just a hole in the stock into which the receiver would fit. Slop front to rear and side to side. Tighten the front guard screw, then watch the tang area flex down, as you tighten the rear screw. 10FP synthetic was replaced with a Bell and Carlson "Medalist". Dropped right in, perfect fit, without any fitting. Groups are now consistant 1/2 moa. Model 12BVSS, same problems, was properly bedded (Brownells Steel Bed), and groups shrunk, again to the 1/2 moa class. Both factory barrels have reamer/toolmarks across the lands & grooves, as seen w/ my borescope, but copper fouling is minimal and easily cleans out with "Butch's". Over-all very good factory rifles, at a reasonable cost: no they cannot compare with my custom barrelled rifles, but I do not have an arm and a leg invested, and when the barrels are shot-out, they will be easily replaced with a better barrel. Just my humble opinion, after 48 yrs of shooting/reloading, I'm still learning.

Savage came across with a new gun for me in 6.5 as the first showed lots of chatter marks in the barrel.

Seems 3 shipments escaped with a lack of QA on the guns.

This one shots a whole lot better than the first, Tuesday will tell as a 1000 yard shoot is on.

Bob.

Hey Bob how did you make out on your shoot

Quote Originally Posted by JasonYuke View Post
    Hey Bob how did you make out on your shoot
    A whole bunch of " V " and 6 x 5 at 1000 for one relay.

Another shoot tomorrow 500 to 1000.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by passion4shootin View Post
    Someone shot two 5 shot groups barely over 0.5 MOA groups at 600 yds this weekend at Williamsport using the Savage F-class 6.5-284 using 142 SMK,
    50 gr. H4831sc. Curious to see how it performs at 1K.
    Ed
    This seems to be a popular load and I have tried it many times to no avail. In the lands, out, touching. Worked the ladder in .2 grains all the way to 52 grains. This gun does not like to be juiced up.

Oh well if it was simple, it wouldn't be fun.

Bob Raymond

At 1K about 13 inch group ( 9 shots )with one flyer opening it to 23 inches. That's using the Lapua 139 Scenars jumping the rifling. I'll try the Sierras again.
    I will be trying both the Sierras jumping and jaming. For completeness sake, I should do the ladder test with the Scenars also. Hopefully this Tuesday I'll be able to do this.

Will post results here.

Shoot well.

Ed