Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Savage 12F - Reports?

Quote Originally Posted by billt View Post
    Cowgard,

If I may ask, how do you like the Weaver T-36, and how did you mount it? Bill T.
    I like the scope. I've not used any of the other premium scopes to compare it with but it is clear as a bell and the adjustments (elevation, focus, ect.) work perfect. I mounted it with Burris Signature Rings with plastic inserts. The offset inserts are nice . They let you keep the scope in the middle of it's adjustment range, which I'm told is a good thing.

I got a cheek piece from a Choate Varmint stock (8 or 10 bucks at brownell's) and screwed it on with a drywall screw to get my eyes where I want them.
    David

Thanks for the comeback. I like the Burris Signature Rings as well. I have a set installed on a Weatherby and I like the fact of how well they hold without any lapping, or marring of the scope tube. They are becoming hard to find, especially in 30 MM. I'm assuming that's because of how well they are selling. I have 2 Savage .308's I'm going to be scoping out later this year. A 12 F-TR, and a 10 FP.

I was going to buy glass for them just a few weeks ago, but with the election looming, I decided to purchase 2 AK-47's instead. I am glad that I did because prices have skyrocketed on them since the messiah won, and availability is just about non existent. Just 6 days before the election when I bought most every shop I visited had several in all the configurations, and the same with AR-15's. Now every shop is back ordered for weeks, and prices in some places have over doubled. It's unbelievable! Anyway, my glass purchase is now pushed back a bit. At least I don't have to worry about Hussein banning those. At least not yet! Bill T.

I just finished scoping out my Savage 10-FP last week, and the Burris Signature Zee Rings saved the day. I ordered a set of the Posi-Align Offset Inserts with both sets of rings, and was glad I did. First off, I couldn't get the screws for the bases in because Savage doesn't use plug screws. Because of this whatever coating they used on the barrel and action got inside the screws requiring me to take it to the gunsmith to have them cleaned out. I didn't have a 6-48 tap handy, and didn't feel like ordering one.

Then, after setting the scope in the rings, I find the holes in the receiver were so far off center, I didn't have enough windage in the scope to get it back on target. The Burris Posi-Align inserts saved the day. I used a +.020 and a -.020 in the front ring and that still wasn't enough. I then installed a +.010 and a -.010 opposite in the rear ring, and that put the scope right on center with the windage set central. It's too bad gun companies can't have better Q.C. standards than this. If it weren't for the Burris Offset Inserts I honestly don't know what I would have done other than going to a windage adjustable base. I used the 2 piece Burris Extreme Tactical Steel Bases. It's a nice rigid set up. I have another scope coming hopefully this week for my Savage 12-F/TR. I hope I don't run into the same issue. I've already soft assembled the bases and rings just to make sure everything went together OK, but we will see. Thus far I'm happy with the rifle, but Savage needs to hire someone who knows how to indicate something straight in a machine. .030 in 4 inches is inexcusable. Bill T.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by billt View Post
    Thus far I'm happy with the rifle, but Savage needs to hire someone who knows how to indicate something straight in a machine. .030 in 4 inches is inexcusable. Bill T.
    Actually, Savage engineering needs to determine how far 'out-of-alignment' the holes need to be drilled. So when the 'heat treat tweak' will move them 'in-alignment! If it wasn't for the 'floating bolt head' the Savage action would never work. I did say that on the Savage forum didn't I. Let me go put on my fire suit.

D R

I just mounted up a second Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical on my Savage 12-F/TR yesterday, and had zero issues. I used a Burris +.010 / -.010 insert combination to bring the elevation spot on. Windage was perfect just as it bolted up. Hopefully I'll get to the range Saturday, weather permitting. I've got 6 loads prepared for both rifles. I'm anxious to see how they both shoot. Bill T.

Here are some pictures of the Savage 12-F/TR scoped out and ready to go to the range, hopefully tomorrow. As you can see I went with the Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical 5-15X on it as well. I really liked the clarity, quality, and price. The Burris Extreme Steel Tactical Bases show up as a almost gun metal grey color for some reason, but they are very similar to the rings in color and finish to the naked eye.

Kind of a crappy through the lens shot of the reticle. It almost looks segmented because it isn't straight and vertical in the photo, causing the pixel blocking you see. Time for a better camera.

Really weird how the bases look so grey. For some reason the color saturation isn't as profound.

Overall I'm pleased how they both mounted up. Just enough clearance for the front lens covers. Hopefully, the next photos will be of some nice targets! I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Bill T.

Quote Originally Posted by D R Greysun View Post
    If it wasn't for the 'floating bolt head' the Savage action would never work.

D R
    There really is something to be said for the "floating" bolt head.

(CLICK ON THUMBNAILS TO ENLARGE)

The range session for both guns went well. I got out early and had the range all to myself. Wind was dead calm. The large "Number 2" was the worst target shot all day. The rest are pretty acceptable. All were fired from a Bald Eagle front and rear rest. The left "Shoot-N-C" target was the 10-FP the right one was the 12-F/TR. Overall the 12-F/TR was a little more accurate, and I suspected it would be with the heavier contour 30" target barrel. Both guns show a preference for Nosler Ballistic Tips which kind of surprised me. I thought the Sierra Matchkings would do better. I don't "break in" barrels, both were shot as they came from the box. Overall it was a good first outing, and it looks like I'll be looking to Nosler, Varget, and Lapua as components of choice for both of these guns. I am going to try some Hornady A-Max bullets, as well as some Berger VLD's. But that's another session for yet another day. Bill T.

Sorry, I may have missed it elsewhere, but, what range (Distance) were these shot Bill?

Cheers,

Mark

All the targets I posted were shot at 100 yards, on both rifles first trip to the range. Bill T.

Hey Guys, I'm a newbie to target shooting although I've been shooting/hunting for 43 years. I purchased a Savage model 12 F/tr in
    .308 caliber ths year. I load my own ammo using berger 155.5gr. bullets, varget powder, Lapua brass and Fed. 210M (hard to find) primers. While barrel breaking (which I am still doing) I shot my best group of .524 at 300 yards. that next weekend I decided to shoot 500 yards and after dialing in the right moa I shot a "fair" 3 shot group of 2.47" ( I am new to target shooting although I have wanted to for some time) which I was happy with since I am still experimenting. Now my problem. After around 130 rounds down the tube, and much cleaning and babying, my groups are getting erractic even though I have changed nothing. I mic every load and I weigh everything for consistency. I am still on new brass even though I have prepped my old for reloading. Any ideas anyone? Oh, and conditions at the range were fairly consistent on my shooting days. Thanks, Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tasman57 View Post
    Now my problem. After around 130 rounds down the tube, and much cleaning and babying, my groups are getting erractic even though I have changed nothing. I mic every load and I weigh everything for consistency. I am still on new brass even though I have prepped my old for reloading. Any ideas anyone? Oh, and conditions at the range were fairly consistent on my shooting days. Thanks, Tim
    Hmmm, two 1-post guys..... Relatively new gun, I'd check the action screws holding the stock to the action, check that the bases are secure to the action, rings secure to the bases, and scope is tight in the rings. That's fast and cheap checkup. Savages like to have the tang of the action (all the way in the back of the action) floated over the stock. I Dremeled out a little bit of wood back there and made sure it was not under pressure.

Qc

Everyones findings seem to agree, if you get a good Savage youget a good Savage. And if you dont you get junk. I think I have 4 of them currently and the BP and hunting grades are great, but the model 12 had 6 serious flaws. I see others find the same thing. Perhaps its time The market requested Savage hire a full time QC dept.

Sorry guys, but I could not be happier with my Savage 12FCV .223 Varmit rifle. At 100 yards with hand loaded ammo (69g Serria MK and 24 g's of Varget) with a Leupold 8.5-25X scope I'm hitting 1/4 to 1/3 inch groups. Yesterday at the 300 yard range out of 15 rounds, on an "F" class target, it was 3 X's 3 10's and the rest where 9's and this was with a slight cross wind blowing.

Now up to a couple thousand rounds in my 6.5 x 284. Barrel died around 1,100 rounds, bought another barrel. Liked the rifle enough to buy a second F12 from Savage.

Chip
    Last edited by ChipEckardt; 09-23-2010 at 09:09 PM.