Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best calibur for long range yote gun

best calibur for long range yote gun

i love to hunt yotes here in illinois. when i am driving the country side and run accross those little yotes, they run out to about 600 yards and then stop and turn to look at you. i need a rifle that has the capability to make those kind of shots. i dont know if i am capable of it but i want my rifle to be at least. im looking for a fast, flat shooting long range varmint cal that can buck the wind. what would you suggest? i have been thinking 6.5x284. thanks lee

Long Yardage Yotes

Just my opinion:

1. 7MM WSM
    2. .308
    3. .243 WSSM

Your milage may vary.

22x6mm Remington shooting 75 or 80 grain Amax in a 9 twist barrel ( preferably a Benchmark)

6 mm x 284 , 105 grain VLD Berger , 1 in 8 twist Shilen Select Match barrel.
    Tight neck match chamber with throat to suit 105 Berger .
    Laminated wood stock or McMillian fiberglass stock.
    Put together by the best accuracy gunsmith you can find .

http://www.6mmbr.com/6mmbr.html

or your first choice.

skeetlee

a 6.5x .284 would be a good choice, I waz under the impression that Illinois was a "shotgun" only state, in regards to hunting, hmmm please correct me if I'm wrong !

I use a 6mmAI on a Remington SA with 87 gr V-Max for coyotes. Its a laser to 600 yards.

I have a 6.5-284, but the 6mmAI shoots a bit flatter to the ranges you wish to shoot. Being Illinois is mostly a flat state with random population, I'd recommend more of a varmint/frangible bullet in case of ricochets than the VLDs some of the other guys are mentioning. Besides, the VLDs won't shoot as flat for the first 400 or 500 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by speedpro View Post
    a 6.5x .284 would be a good choice, I waz under the impression that Illinois was a "shotgun" only state, in regards to hunting, hmmm please correct me if I'm wrong !
    You can hunt varmints in Illinois with a rifle. Shotguns or muzzle-loaders for deer.

One Less Yote

I also like the .204 Ruger 40 grain V-max for yotes at 100-200 yards.

For long range varmint shooting I find that the A-Max bullet is the best compromise between expansion and accuracy you can get. The 6mm 105 A-Max in any case that will drive it more than 2900 fps will do the job. You will have to decide if great inherent accuracy as in the 6br, modified 6br, 6 xc, 6x47 is more important than less bullet drop and drift of the 6-284, 6mm AI, 6-06, etc. You can go to a bigger cal. but I don't that is needed. I had a 22 Cheetah M2 that would reach out and get them with a 75 A-Max but the barrel sure didn't last very long.

600 YARD Yote gun....

22BR, 22BRX, with 80 grain Bergers or 6mmBR, 6mmBRX, or 6 Dasher, with 1:8 twist barrel and 105 bergers. Inheretly accurate, good bullets and brass, low recoil, and long barrel life.
    Rustystud

i always shoot varmint type bullets here in illinois. it seems to me that every year more and more people move out to the country. there was an artical in a near by paper that read, man sitting in recliner heard a bullet fly through his house about 3 feet from where he was sitting. the bullet logged into his night stand. the bullet went through 3 walls. be on the look out for a blue 4x4 truck. some people just dont think about what they are doing. im not sure if they ever found the person responsible for the shooting. anyway i have a bunch of .224 cal guns. i am just looking for something a little bigger that can handle the wind we have here in the winter months. thanks lee

I have a lot of people lately asking me about a custom rifle for vermin, but most people want decent factory ammo available.

I can't seem to sell them on a 6br or 6.5x284, unless they are hardcore reloaders and such.

Lots of people do well with a 22-250, but it doesn't really perform well in wind at that range, with typical long twists.

How about a .243, 25-06,7 wsm or .308? In a 9-13lb rifle?

Do you load much? How much wind?

best caliber

for really long range a 7mm berger 168 or 180 they wiil be the best in the wind just kick a lot more . best for coyotes long range is a 6.5-284; 139 or 123 scenar; 120 grain balistic tip. 8.5 twist kreiger barrel; remington action; lapua brass. try shooting at 500 yards or more it takes a really accurate rifle . even with really well built custom rifle i would keep my shots to 750 or less with a ny wind at all.

I have had good LUCK with my 250 Savage or my 257 Bob.. both with the 75 gr. hp.