Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Crowns

I suspect that more crowns are damaged through poor cleaning techniques (and physical abuse) than by actual shooting.

The most difficult barrels to clean imho are a lever action and my black powder muzzle loader, no choice but to put the rod in from the front but it can be accomplished with a bit of care and a rod guide can be made from Delrin to slip over the end of the barrel to keep things centered.

As Pete Wass pointed out, don't let the patch completely leave the muzzle. (Although I must admit that I usually just let it protrude enough to drop off the jag so not to drag the fouling back into the bore)

Keep safe * doggie *

(((Although I must admit that I usually just let it protrude enough to drop off the jag so not to drag the fouling back into the bore)))

this is what I do , if you pull the patch back through you are pulling carbon back through the bore , I don't think that is good .

I have decided to take off .100 to clean up the crown .

As mentioned in an earlier post I don't let the patch go beyond the muzzle and I do bring the fouling back. If you were to look down the barrel it looks like a Parabolic Mirror from cleaning this way will also using JB. Not sure if a highly polished is good for Jacked bullets but does very will with cast lead and tin bullets for serious competition. Also forgot to mention in my earlier post why I polish the face of the crown it is to be able see the lube star that will be left on its face. If the lube star is not per-say perfectly even for my use it is simply not crowned right and it gives one a visual reference and is also quite common to see a polished face in our competitive sport for that sole purpose. All though the fouling being drawn back by the way that I clean and my barrel now having more than a 140,000 bullets down the bore I have not seen any ill effects being done and as stated earlier I did set a national record with this many bullets down the bore so I am not sure if it was anymore abrasive than the JB its self. Rifle is also chambered in 32-40 and I hope some of this might be helpful to somebody else.

I just re-crowned it and only took off .020 . Checked with a Q-tip now burs and it looks good . Now work up some new brass .
    Last edited by ArtinNC; 01-06-2021 at 01:37 PM.