Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Head count!

I am a 25M air rifle BR shooter. Nearest matches are 4 hours drive from me. That is just too far to attend on any regular basis. The matches are on Sundays and I have obligations with my church. I have resigned to shoot one match a year, preferably a national match. Having one real good match really is something to work towards. Mike N is doing a great job of breaking new barriers with the slugs in air rifles at 50 yd. If rimfire clubs would allow slug air rifles at 50 yds this would open up matches right in my own state(Arkansas).

Concerning the USARB a club listing at https://www.usairriflebenchrest.com/clubs/, if the sanction date is current the club is active. If not current, it may or may not be active. Suggest contacting the match director to check on match schedules.

Steve W.
    USARB Webguy

Would like to see a 50Y Pellet BR !

Have Two Ranges (Indoor/25 Benches & Outdoor 26 Benches ) Never shot or seen a 50yard Pellet Rifle or Match ;Shot IR50 UL matches last season here @ ChickenFoot and would be receptive to incorporating the Pellet Rifles here with IR50 UL!

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Willy View Post
    Have Two Ranges (Indoor/25 Benches & Outdoor 26 Benches ) Never shot or seen a 50yard Pellet Rifle or Match ;Shot IR50 UL matches last season here @ ChickenFoot and would be receptive to incorporating the Pellet Rifles here with IR50 UL!
    Slick,

That is good news. That will open up more opportunities for these high powered air rifles to be used.

I'm like you I have never seen a 50 yard Air rifle but I'm told they are out there.

Maybe someone will come on and tell us a little about these rifles. How they work and what makes them special.

TKH

Hereís a pic of my rifle and 3 cards shot with it a few days ago. Also a pic of the projectile. Iím shooting around 850 FPS and these produce a measured BC of around .130. Pretty close to the typical Rimfire bullet.

The most attractive difference is that these swaged slugs cost about 2.5c each...so 50 of them is around $1.25. These slugs are made by the end user so you have complete control over what you get instead of relying on a manufacturer. Iím still in the process of tweaking the slugs to find the best performance.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AC7F3E6D-13BF-4506-B895-540A7F274031.jpeg 
Views:	90 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	24144   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B2DEDDBC-B898-4844-882E-DEC7CDE09DE3.jpeg 
Views:	92 
Size:	142.2 KB 
ID:	24143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	766F734F-D26D-4EFC-87B8-15A9595D1F17.jpeg 
Views:	99 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	24145   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15BF16D1-E8E9-4F07-A242-E595DB753504.jpeg 
Views:	78 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	24146  

Here is a video of the slug making process....and the last pic that I couldnít add to the last post.

http://www.youtube.com/shorts/BIWzyIdob0Y

Name:	8AC250DC-F617-4466-BAC1-39CC47EFB867.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	24147  

Quote Originally Posted by michaelthomas View Post
    Hereís a pic of my rifle and 3 cards shot with it a few days ago. Also a pic of the projectile. Iím shooting around 850 FPS and these produce a measured BC of around .130. Pretty close to the typical Rimfire bullet.

The most attractive difference is that these swaged slugs cost about 2.5c each...so 50 of them is around $1.25. These slugs are made by the end user so you have complete control over what you get instead of relying on a manufacturer. Iím still in the process of tweaking the slugs to find the best performance.

Mike
    Mike,

That is impressive. No doubt if those air rifles shoot like that they will give rimfires a run for their money.

I just spoke to Chris Bogart, he runs the Piney Hill Indoor range in Luray Va. he said air rifles would be welcome at his range.

More places to shoot has to be a good thing.

TKH

Quote Originally Posted by michaelthomas View Post
    Here is a video of the slug making process....and the last pic that I couldnít add to the last post.

http://www.youtube.com/shorts/BIWzyIdob0Y
    Neat. Any chance you could post an engraved slug, if it is possible to slug a barrel with one?
    What if anything are they lubed with?

I use them to slug barrels all the time.

Mike

Name:	CB6CBF77-A92F-4641-B53D-283B50F91D78.jpeg 
Views:	67 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	24148  

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by tonykharper View Post
    i would like to see how many air rifle benchrest shooters we have out there and how many of those are interested in competing.

I can't seem to find many air gun clubs in my area and i wonder if there is much opportunity for air gunners to compete.

If you are an air gunner and would like to compete please respond to this thread so you can be counted.

Thank you.

Tkh
    hi tony bought 25 cal. Air rifle 10 yrs ago have yet to shoot it this yr pa has opened air for hunting so i will try to see you somewhere along the line. Bill brawand

6 target unlimited tournament Piney Hill range Luray Va. 12/12/20 0900 hrs.

It has been all talk up until now!

But here is the first chance for the Air Gunners to show up and shoot with Rimfire shooters in a 50 yard tournament.

The target will be the IR 50 target, 25 scoring bulls, and a 20minute time limit.

The Larry "The Legend" Harrison tournament will be held at Piney Hill indoor range Luray Va. start time 0900hrs. 12/12/20.

Air Rifles shooting .22 cal. are welcome.

This tournament is being put on by Scot Whystell to honor Larry Harrison, a much loved rimfire competitor that has past on.

This is a money match and awards will be given out for target winners, and the top three places.

Entry fee for the tournament is $50.00. Lunch will not be served so bring your own.

Hope to see some air gunners there.

TKH

I've been working on a couple things here in Michigan as well...

Besides hunting and having a great Deer season, 2 bucks, one with the bow, and a great one with the muzzle loading rifle. I've been working on a couple FX impact rifles for me and a friend. We have ordered over time a total of 3 rifles, All impact Mkii with power plenum, one in .22 caliber, one in .30 caliber, and a third in .35 caliber.

In the quest I found a new airgun shop in Central Michigan that I hadn't known about before this endeavor. I went up there and met with the owner operator Tom Simmon and had a couple great afternoons chatting with him. His business is called High Pressure Pneumatics and he and his lovely wife Janine (she gets along real well with my wife too) run a great business. In chatting with them I found out that they run the Air rifle matches at one of my old stomping grounds, Harrison Sportsmens club. This is cool, in further talking with them I've found that he has three clubs nearby that shoot unregistered "extreme type" BenchRest Air rifle competitions at 25 yards, 50 yards and 100 yards. The three clubs have different weekends of each month, and a series of shooters go to each of them. I mentioned that I run the USARB matches at SMGC, and his eyes lit upÖ It appears that he likes the idea of some registered matches on his calendar. We compared targets and distances and rules, and it looks like I will visit and shoot at some of his matches and he will try to make it to some of ours. The cool thing here is that all 4 of the clubs involved stand a chance to gain shooters and the sport gains in potential growth by bringing the knowledge of other types of shooting and equipment to the shooters. It's amazing in the 2 1/2 years that I've been involved in Air rifle BR, I had never heard that these clubs run matches. I guess you can't just go off the information you get from one person.

Quote Originally Posted by Pbike257 View Post
    Besides hunting and having a great Deer season, 2 bucks, one with the bow, and a great one with the muzzle loading rifle. I've been working on a couple FX impact rifles for me and a friend. We have ordered over time a total of 3 rifles, All impact Mkii with power plenum, one in .22 caliber, one in .30 caliber, and a third in .35 caliber.

In the quest I found a new airgun shop in Central Michigan that I hadn't known about before this endeavor. I went up there and met with the owner operator Tom Simmon and had a couple great afternoons chatting with him. His business is called High Pressure Pneumatics and he and his lovely wife Janine (she gets along real well with my wife too) run a great business. In chatting with them I found out that they run the Air rifle matches at one of my old stomping grounds, Harrison Sportsmens club. This is cool, in further talking with them I've found that he has three clubs nearby that shoot unregistered "extreme type" BenchRest Air rifle competitions at 25 yards, 50 yards and 100 yards. The three clubs have different weekends of each month, and a series of shooters go to each of them. I mentioned that I run the USARB matches at SMGC, and his eyes lit upÖ It appears that he likes the idea of some registered matches on his calendar. We compared targets and distances and rules, and it looks like I will visit and shoot at some of his matches and he will try to make it to some of ours. The cool thing here is that all 4 of the clubs involved stand a chance to gain shooters and the sport gains in potential growth by bringing the knowledge of other types of shooting and equipment to the shooters. It's amazing in the 2 1/2 years that I've been involved in Air rifle BR, I had never heard that these clubs run matches. I guess you can't just go off the information you get from one person.
    Pbike257,

That is wonderful news. That is exactly what I was hoping would happen.

Air Rifles shooters and rimfire shooters join ranks and compete with and against one another.

Let us hope this story repeats around the country.

Thank you so much for sharing.

TKH

Great news!

I got involved with Air Gun Benchrest a number of years ago now but there was so little opportunity to compete, I gave up. I still have rifles though and may try again. The Slug making thing would be great cause with pellets, one gets into the same chase looking for lots that shoot in one's gun, just like Rimfire. Hope the make your own is allowed going forward.

Pete

Pete Waas,

What I like about the slug possibility is that once you have a system that works, i.e. slug, barrel profile, lands and grooves dimensions, leade, seating depth, speed etc. You are shooting an actual projectile that is spin stabilized not stabilized by the drag of a skirt like a pellet.