Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stevens 200 Woes!

No,

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    What did you find out, Pete? -Al
    I put it in the gun safe until I get home in the spring. There is something in the path between the trigger and the cocking pin that seems to be interfering but I'll be dern if I can see what it is. The bolt un-cocked out of the rifle extends the pin just fine and the cocking pin does not touch the bolt body. The firing pin will not touch a primer in a primed case in the chamber. The spring is plenty robust. Likely it's something simple stupid. Mebby it will heal up over winter?

Pete

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by pete wass View Post
    it first of all had light hits on the primer, fired 6 and then stopped even touching the primer. When uncocked outside the rifle the pin protrudes proudly but cock it and once it the rifle the pin does not touch the primer. I checked headspace and it had fired 6 rounds before it quit. The rifle has had mebby 100 rounds fired through it! The problem defies any logic i posses.

Pete
    check the spring.

had an annie 54 action intermittent firing - sometimes soft hits other times none. figured the firing pin spring had gotten weak yes it was cleaned before new spring - nope same deal with new spring. tore it down again and really srubbed the inside of the bolt out and then I noticed it- the firing spring had worn groves in the bolt body. barley perceptable to naked eye. polished the interior out until I could no longer see them with a magnifing glass. bingo no more ftf. even with the orginial spring. Rest of the story- this happened at a 100 shot off hand match- only time I did not take a backup rifle with me. I torn that unit down and cleaned it 3 times between firing relays- I likely pulled the trigger 400+ times to get 100 shots on the target. Funny part was I had just shot a local match 2 nights before with no problems. Same ammo from the same lot/case. so maybe a burr or ? impeding the firing pin spring inside the bolt.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by blades View Post
    had an annie 54 action intermittent firing - sometimes soft hits other times none. figured the firing pin spring had gotten weak yes it was cleaned before new spring - nope same deal with new spring. tore it down again and really srubbed the inside of the bolt out and then I noticed it- the firing spring had worn groves in the bolt body. barley perceptable to naked eye. polished the interior out until I could no longer see them with a magnifing glass. bingo no more ftf. even with the orginial spring. Rest of the story- this happened at a 100 shot off hand match- only time I did not take a backup rifle with me. I torn that unit down and cleaned it 3 times between firing relays- I likely pulled the trigger 400+ times to get 100 shots on the target. Funny part was I had just shot a local match 2 nights before with no problems. Same ammo from the same lot/case. so maybe a burr or ? impeding the firing pin spring inside the bolt.
    I'll check that when I get back. It's got to be something like that i'm thinking.

Happy Thanksgiving

Pete

May be something to do with the way the safety and trigger adjusment works, check that.

I wondered about that too

Quote Originally Posted by Geramo View Post
    May be something to do with the way the safety and trigger adjusment works, check that.
    I'll check it.

Thanks,

Pete