Thread: Rifle positioning on front rest/bag

Rifle positioning on front rest/bag

What’s the best position for the rifle on the front rest bag? I see a lot of shooters using the “stock” front rest stop on their front rests. However, I see other shooters using an extended front rest stop which balances/positions their rifle more toward the “middle” or balance point of their rifles. Thoughts? Best practices? Thanks

were the rifles the exact same ??

This can vary significantly from rifle to rifle. Finding the combination of how a gun likes to be handled, and how it likes to be rested requires experimentation. It is a range thing, that cannot really be done properly by consensus.

I am in a quite different competitive shooting sport and I had a custom from rest bag made to suit those needs by Protector USA. But it has also made me wonder why a bag with much longer support of the so called sweet spot is not also being used in your sport. As you can see I have to rest my barrel on the bag and the competition I shoot is called Schuetzen. It requires using a falling block single shot action and plainbase lead and tin bullets and my rifle is designed for the traditional class.