Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: New Magic Long Range Hornady 6mm ARC!!!!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    660

    New Magic Long Range Hornady 6mm ARC!!!!

    This from a cover page article from the NRA's "Shooting illustrated", 6mm ARC, "Advanced Rifle Cartridge", meant primarily for AR platforms.

    After you get into the article you find that the "new" cartridge is a 6mm PPC with 1 grain more powder capacity shooting 107 grain bullets into fast twist barrels.

    I just built an AR around 6.5 MM Grendel which is pretty much just a 6.5MM PPC but has been around for 17 years. Funny to hear this stuff touted as the newest thing when it's been around for decades.

    6.5 Grendel by Tom, on Flickr

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Surprise, AZ
    Posts
    287

    The industry runs on novelty...

    ...but ran out of ideas years ago. There have been very few actual firearms innovations in the last 30-ish years, just some small refinements, new colors, and new aesthetics. There's a lot of recycled ideas - and some of them are good, and probably bear a second look. It all gets hyped as if it were some giant leap forward. Until next years super cartridge that will take someone who can't hit the target at 200 yards and have him shooting one-inch groups at 1000! ;-)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tualatin, Oregon
    Posts
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    ...Until next years super cartridge that will take someone who can't hit the target at 200 yards and have him shooting one-inch groups at 1000! ;-)
    What??? I can't use a laser guided bullet, loaded into a .50 BMG case?

    https://www.cnn.com/2015/04/29/us/us...let/index.html

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    353
    tom,
    i mentioned this earlier...
    look at the max pressure for the arc...a mere 50k..less than any 6ppc based competition,less than nearly all modern ar cartridges. a waste of time...but not money the public will buy the latest and greatest...for a while...but not for long.
    this is as stupid as glock not listening to speer on the 45GAP. speer said 23k and glock published cip at 17k.....killed the round round. a 21st century round limited to early 1900s pressure.....less the 45 acp

    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    This from a cover page article from the NRA's "Shooting illustrated", 6mm ARC, "Advanced Rifle Cartridge", meant primarily for AR platforms.

    After you get into the article you find that the "new" cartridge is a 6mm PPC with 1 grain more powder capacity shooting 107 grain bullets into fast twist barrels.

    I just built an AR around 6.5 MM Grendel which is pretty much just a 6.5MM PPC but has been around for 17 years. Funny to hear this stuff touted as the newest thing when it's been around for decades.

    6.5 Grendel by Tom, on Flickr

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    tom,
    i mentioned this earlier...
    look at the max pressure for the arc...a mere 50k..less than any 6ppc based competition,less than nearly all modern ar cartridges. a waste of time...but not money the public will buy the latest and greatest...for a while...but not for long.
    this is as stupid as glock not listening to speer on the 45GAP. speer said 23k and glock published cip at 17k.....killed the round round. a 21st century round limited to early 1900s pressure.....less the 45 acp
    Personally, I have no reason or intent to chamber anything in 6 ARC. Among other reasons, I've got a few barrels chambered in 6 BR, a superior round in my view. I'll promise you I don't limit my 6 BR loadings to 50K.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    West central NH
    Posts
    587

    You're Missing the Point

    To be fair, you're missing it because you've been misled. This cartridge was developed for the military, not for you and me. However, they are going to try and sell it to us anyway to generate a few more bucks. There are also those that will always buy something simply because it was developed for the military. Again, a few more bucks to the bottom line.

    When I first read about this cartridge, I thought why not just use a 6mm BR? But look at the rim diameter of the 6 BR - .473. The Grendel is .449, which some consider marginal in the AR. The military wants a bigger margin of safely, which is why they go with the ARC rim diameter of .411.

    The downrange ballistics of the 6mm ARC with a 108 grain bullet blows most other AR-15 cartridges into the weeds, and does it with a margin of safety. So, like you, I'll stick with my 6 PPC and 6 BR, but the army is happy with their new toy. They can buy a bunch of uppers economically for their Squad Designated Marksmen and put the hurt on the bad guys way out there. They'll leave the deer, woodchucks and paper to us.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    353
    maybe you could show us the formula how they are going to do this with a 50k psi limit and a 2.250 max length.
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vtmarmot View Post
    To be fair, you're missing it because you've been misled. This cartridge was developed for the military, not for you and me. However, they are going to try and sell it to us anyway to generate a few more bucks. There are also those that will always buy something simply because it was developed for the military. Again, a few more bucks to the bottom line.

    When I first read about this cartridge, I thought why not just use a 6mm BR? But look at the rim diameter of the 6 BR - .473. The Grendel is .449, which some consider marginal in the AR. The military wants a bigger margin of safely, which is why they go with the ARC rim diameter of .411.

    The downrange ballistics of the 6mm ARC with a 108 grain bullet blows most other AR-15 cartridges into the weeds, and does it with a margin of safety. So, like you, I'll stick with my 6 PPC and 6 BR, but the army is happy with their new toy. They can buy a bunch of uppers economically for their Squad Designated Marksmen and put the hurt on the bad guys way out there. They'll leave the deer, woodchucks and paper to us.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,908
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    maybe you could show us the formula how they are going to do this with a 50k psi limit and a 2.250 max length.
    thanks
    Itís magic.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,534

    Not new but seminew

    Upon his passing Ferris and I were working on 40 degree PPCs.

    The 6 40 Dune got a 2nd, a 3rd, a 4th,and a 5th at an IBS 600 yard Nationals.

    .

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Oriental, NC
    Posts
    972
    Quote Originally Posted by vtmarmot View Post
    To be fair, you're missing it because you've been misled. This cartridge was developed for the military, not for you and me. However, they are going to try and sell it to us anyway to generate a few more bucks. There are also those that will always buy something simply because it was developed for the military. Again, a few more bucks to the bottom line.

    When I first read about this cartridge, I thought why not just use a 6mm BR? But look at the rim diameter of the 6 BR - .473. The Grendel is .449, which some consider marginal in the AR. The military wants a bigger margin of safely, which is why they go with the ARC rim diameter of .411.

    The downrange ballistics of the 6mm ARC with a 108 grain bullet blows most other AR-15 cartridges into the weeds, and does it with a margin of safety. So, like you, I'll stick with my 6 PPC and 6 BR, but the army is happy with their new toy. They can buy a bunch of uppers economically for their Squad Designated Marksmen and put the hurt on the bad guys way out there. They'll leave the deer, woodchucks and paper to us.
    It was originally done for the Navy.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    353
    a SEAL short range only round ??
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tooley View Post
    It was originally done for the Navy.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wilcox, PA
    Posts
    580

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by dave tooley View Post
    it was originally done for the navy.
    the grendel was a copy of the case that bill brawand designed some 35 yrs ago as palimsno came to his home for cases remer was made by dave kiff.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •