Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30BR primers?

30BR primers?

What primers do you all like for the 30BR?

Thanks

Right now use what you can get your hands on! I usually use Fed SR match. Recently I have been using Wolf SR Magnum primers. I have shot 2 consecutive 250 22x at 100yds and a couple of 249ís at 200yds.

may depend on your powder choice
    cci with 4198
    fed with most else

RWS Primers

A few years ago, I was very lucky to purchase a quantity of RWS primers. I use them with H4198 (34.5 grains) and Randy Robinette's 118's.
    A long time ago, when I was shooting highpower and long range, Gene Adam (who won the Wimbleton Cup in 1975) came up to me and said 'Matt, if you want to get really great scores you have to shoot these'. He handed me a 250 count RWS primer box that had about 30 primers in it. Gene was a great highpower and long range shooter in his day. He used to come up to the Bay City Rifle Club (the old mine range) and shoot the highpower league with us.

So, I loaded up a series of rounds with my usual Winchester primers and some with the RWS primers. To this day, I succinctly remember that the Winchester primer loads produced an extreme spread of 15-27 FPS, whereas the RWS primers produced an extreme spread of 7-9 FPS. I did the testing with my Oehler Chronograph. I wish I had kept the printouts and the target. The groups were also in line with what I discovered with the extreme spread. Unfortunately, I discarded all of that material when I retired from that competition.

I plan on duplicating this test (comparing RWS primers against the Federal primers). I will use the Oehler Chronograph to record the results. I will post the results when I complete the test. I realize that it won't be apples to apples but it will be interesting to see what the extreme spreads will be.

Matt
    Last edited by pikedrop; 10-13-2020 at 03:27 PM.

I've never noticed

any difference in primers with the 30 BR's I've had. If they go bang, they work.

Pete

I shot 30BR for years with a little success with regular Fed 205.

I've mostly used

Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    I shot 30BR for years with a little success with regular Fed 205.
    Winchester and Wolf. I bought a bunch of both years ago and have been working them down. @ 76 I may have enough still to last me out.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    any difference in primers with the 30 BR's I've had. If they go bang, they work.

Pete
    You didn't notice any difference because you didn't take the time to record results. Relying on 'bang' will get you nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by pikedrop View Post
    You didn't notice any difference because you didn't take the time to record results. Relying on 'bang' will get you nowhere.

Young feller, 95% of shooters can't shoot better or worse from their choice of primers in a 30BR.

sorry but my testing showed a marked difference in ACCURACY based on which primer was used with what powder.

do what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    Young feller, 95% of shooters can't shoot better or worse from their choice of primers in a 30BR.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    sorry but my testing showed a marked difference in ACCURACY based on which primer was used with what powder.

do what works for you.
    Yes sir, That's great feller. I guess I didn't check the winner's list as closely as I should. Sorry.

Yes sir, That's great feller. I guess I didn't check the winner's list as closely as I should. Sorry.
    Well i picked up 1000 fed 205m to try.

Quote Originally Posted by TrxR View Post
    Well i picked up 1000 fed 205m to try.

I've used several thousand through the years, but had no drop off when they were hard to get using Winchester SR primers.

I always like to be in the top 5%.

Quote Originally Posted by pikedrop View Post
    I always like to be in the top 5%.
    Sorry, I didn't recognize your name in the winner's equipment list.