Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 55

Thread: Starting in Benchrest

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by rsrw View Post
    Folks I have been shorting Groundhog matches for a while and wanted to give Benchrest a shot.



    Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    If you stay with benchrest you will see....It will not be competitive unless you are doing small club shoots with mostly factory rifles.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    i saw several hiccups in things you have said.
    ...

    describe your rifle and loads
    What a great way to encourage someone to join the benchrest crowd.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Poetry, Tex.
    Posts
    6,783
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    What a great way to encourage someone to join the benchrest crowd.


    Actually rsrw and I get along fine.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    353
    if you actually read what i said..
    i asked questions....
    no slamming....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    What a great way to encourage someone to join the benchrest crowd.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kentucky-Home of the Kentucky Wildcats
    Posts
    2,362
    If Butch is coaching him along, I'm sure he'll be fine but ultimately, he may want a mentor to take him under their wing for a while that is closer by. There are several in the Pa area that I'm sure will be happy to help get him up and going.

    We've all been where he is when we got started and most of us had someone to help get started. People in this sport are great about that, generally.

    That's why I think just going to the match is going to be very worthwhile to him or anyone looking to get their feet wet in this game. I still say that he or most anyone will learn more at their first match if they actually shoot it rather than spectate, though. Some matches even have loaner rifles available, with a little heads up before match day.

    Show up and shoot! The rest will fall into place. Whatever you do, don't be afraid of shooting poorly. We've all been there and survived it. There's a pretty steep learning curve and a lot to take in. A good mentor is worth every cent that they typically don't charge you for.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Poetry, Tex.
    Posts
    6,783
    Quote Originally Posted by mwezell View Post
    If Butch is coaching him along, I'm sure he'll be fine but ultimately, he may want a mentor to take him under their wing for a while that is closer by. There are several in the Pa area that I'm sure will be happy to help get him up and going.

    We've all been where he is when we got started and most of us had someone to help get started. People in this sport are great about that, generally.

    That's why I think just going to the match is going to be very worthwhile to him or anyone looking to get their feet wet in this game. I still say that he or most anyone will learn more at their first match if they actually shoot it rather than spectate, though. Some matches even have loaner rifles available, with a little heads up before match day.

    Show up and shoot! The rest will fall into place. Whatever you do, don't be afraid of shooting poorly. We've all been there and survived it. There's a pretty steep learning curve and a lot to take in. A good mentor is worth every cent that they typically don't charge you for.

    Scott and I are talking off the forum. He has interest and I will help where I can. As Mike said a mentor would be great for him.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    I live in northern Baltimore County which is about 20 minutes from the PA state line
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    i saw several hiccups in things you have said.
    you said benchrest and then said small groups
    then you said cutting a line...not an issue in GROUP shooting.
    so group shooting or score shooting ?
    have you ever shot 5 five shot targets on the same day and still averaged under .2 ?

    describe your rifle and loads
    Iím not sure if I will shoot group or score. Iím trying to find out whatís fairly close to me that I can shoot at.
    I have not shot 5, five shot groups on the same day. I will typically shoot 3, targets that have 5 targets to shoot at one each one. So typically, 15 groups a day. They do almost always stay at .2 or lower. I may on a rare occasion get a .23 or so, but it is rare.

    As I said the rifle is a 223, with a Pierce action, Kreiger barrel with a 12 twist and a Trigger Tech trigger. It is on not the best stock, a Bell and Carlson. Would like to get another stock for it, but just have not done so yet. Since the rifle seems to be firing good, I have put most of my money into reloading tools. The chamber of the barrel was reamed and the gun was built by Pierce Engineering of Michigan.

    I shoot with Lapua brass, a 52 grain Nosler Custom Competition bullet. They are a hpbt with a very small metplat. It is loaded with 25.5 grains of Benchrest powder, which is checked and verified on two separate scales. I am however waiting right now on some Barts custom bullets. 52 grain hp/flat base. They are supposed to be very good I hear and I am told the flat base is better at 100 yards than the boat tail design. Iíll see.

    As far as loading procedure here it is. All the bullets are weight sorted, the cases are also. The cases are trimmed then neck turned following their first firing. I use a Redding type S die with bushings to full length size the cases. I full length size after every firing. I do not neck size only. The neck tension is set at .002Ē. The separated bullets are then seated using a Redding competition seating die. All rounds are of course checked for Concentricity after seating. I am a bit, well according to my wife, a lot OCD regarding these things. However the rounds are right when I finish with them. It takes me much longer than most people because I double and triple check each round at every step as I make it. My dad and granddad taught me ďmeasure twice, cut once.Ē So I always do.

    Anyway, thatís what I have and what i shoot and how I make it, pretty much. Hope that answers your questions.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Poetry, Tex.
    Posts
    6,783
    Top of the line equip and builder. Another stock and maybe a 1 1/2oz trigger and a set of Mike Ezell flags will help a bunch.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Angelo, Texas (West Texas)
    Posts
    1,636

    Well why not?

    RSRW,

    Go ahead and shoot some matches. You are only a first timer once. Expect to enjoy yourself and worry about the score latter. You will learn a lot.

    Concho Bill

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    I live in northern Baltimore County which is about 20 minutes from the PA state line
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    Top of the line equip and builder. Another stock and maybe a 1 1/2oz trigger and a set of Mike Ezell flags will help a bunch.
    Butch I am replacing the trigger over the winter. I figure if I can reduce my pull a bit I might be able to tighten the groups up a bit. I have already started looking into wind flags. Donít laugh, but I have been using surveyors tape on thin bamboo rods up to now.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    I live in northern Baltimore County which is about 20 minutes from the PA state line
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wynne View Post
    RSRW,

    Go ahead and shoot some matches. You are only a first timer once. Expect to enjoy yourself and worry about the score latter. You will learn a lot.

    Concho Bill
    I canít wait!

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kentucky-Home of the Kentucky Wildcats
    Posts
    2,362
    Quote Originally Posted by rsrw View Post
    Butch I am replacing the trigger over the winter. I figure if I can reduce my pull a bit I might be able to tighten the groups up a bit. I have already started looking into wind flags. Donít laugh, but I have been using surveyors tape on thin bamboo rods up to now.
    That beats nothing, by a lot. At least you know the importance of some sort of flag. That's way ahead of a lot of new shooters.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kentucky-Home of the Kentucky Wildcats
    Posts
    2,362
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    Top of the line equip and builder. Another stock and maybe a 1 1/2oz trigger and a set of Mike Ezell flags will help a bunch.
    Thanks for the kind words Butch!

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    I live in northern Baltimore County which is about 20 minutes from the PA state line
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    I'm lost. I don't understand those three sentences. Is the comma in the second sentence a typo? Also, I don't understand the "one each one" part at the end of the second sentence.

    Are you shooting three targets that have five bulls on each target, and shooting five-shot groups on each bull? If so, that would be 15 groups, as you said; but, if so, what do you mean by the first sentence?

    Let us know how the match goes for you tomorrow.
    I looked at my response again, no wonder itís not clear to you. When I read it back it wasnít clear to me. I shoot a target known as a sight in target. It has 5 diamonds on each target. On any given range day I put up three of them, so I have a total of 15 diamonds to shoot at. I thought your question was, have I ever shot five targets that have five bulls each on them for a total of 25 bulls. That I have not done. I only shoot 15 each time. I really donít know what size the diamonds on my targets are as they are nothing more than a point of aim for my first of five shots fort a group. Hope this help. Let me know if it doesnít and Iíll try again.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kentucky-Home of the Kentucky Wildcats
    Posts
    2,362
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    I'm lost. I don't understand those three sentences. Is the comma in the second sentence a typo? Also, I don't understand the "one each one" part at the end of the second sentence.

    Are you shooting three targets that have five bulls on each target, and shooting five-shot groups on each bull? If so, that would be 15 groups, as you said; but, if so, what do you mean by the first sentence?

    Let us know how the match goes for you tomorrow.
    Sounds to me like he's shooting score targets. As we know, if a gun won't group, it won't score well either. It may take some time but I think we should help and encourage new shooters as they venture into this. Not that you aren't, but we all started somewhere and we all want the best from ourselves and our equipment. The fun we have together doing it is a big bonus!

    I think it's very true, that all score shooters shoot groups but not all group shooters shoot score. The main thing is that the accuracy bug has bitten him and he's at the right place to feed his new addiction.

    Some people are happy with minute of pie plate. Clearly, he's not that type and neither is anyone else on here. So, he's off to a good start! He'll catch on to the jargon quickly and figure out if he wants to pursue this game or not, with some encouragement and a little help along the way.

    Personally, I get excited for new shooters when they show the kind of interest that he has. I started out with a m70 Winchester Heavy
    Varminter that was an honest .25 moa factory rifle. Those things would flat shoot for a factory gun. Before that, I was just a pretty good shot like so many on here. It took time and patience from those willing to help me learn...and I'm still learning. When I quit learning and my hand stops shaking when trying my best to hit that last chigger or last bullet through the same hole as the other 4...it's time to quit. Fortunately, I can play this game for years to come, if the Lord sees fit for me to. I don't have to be able to run 5 minute miles to compete at this and to have a lot of fun with some of the best people I've ever met, anywhere.

    As much as we like shooting, you can never discount the value of the many good friends I have gained in this sport. We are truly an amazing group, where we can entrust thousands of dollars worth of equipment with most any of them without a second thought. I ship thousands of dollars worth of products all over the place, often without payment up front and have only been beaten out of money once in over 20 years of this. I've had, IIRC, two bad checks that were made good almost immediately..honest mistakes. What other business could I be in and say that? I can't think of any!

    Just a great bunch of people in the BR community. We're a small group, where we all know each other, either directly or indirectly and we help each other when needed. It's much like a big family of the best people you could hope for in it.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    I live in northern Baltimore County which is about 20 minutes from the PA state line
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    I'm still lost. Can you describe how you measure your groups? Can you post a picture?
    I have attached two photos of a random group that is a Caldwell ďSite-InĒ target. Used to sight in riflescopes. It actually has five diamonds on it total. The problem I had with this target the orange stuff was peeling off way wide of the actual cut hole. I have also attached a photo of the target I have switched to. It also has five targets on each paper. I use the diamonds or crosses as nothing more than an aiming point for my first shot of the five shot group. Their relative size does not matter to me. It just gives me five places to start my groups on each paper.

    To measure the group size I first go to the back of the target and push the ďcuttingsĒ forward to form a clear view of the actual cut hole. I then use the IBS official scoring reticle and a digital caliber to read the center to center distance of the two widest shots. I will also double check it by measuring the widest point on the outside of the holes and subtracting the diameter of the 223 bullet, .224 inches. I hope I have said all of this correct and hope it answers you questions.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DFD06D8F-FEC0-43A4-8F94-7E4614E35ABC.jpeg 
Views:	154 
Size:	499.6 KB 
ID:	24052Click image for larger version. 

Name:	085FAA0D-BD1C-49B2-BA17-454CC9AD693E.jpeg 
Views:	151 
Size:	524.3 KB 
ID:	24053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11C2CA8F-6069-4AD8-82C0-B3057BA18643.jpeg 
Views:	139 
Size:	126.0 KB 
ID:	24054

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •