Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One Last Time

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    on European scope rings is a set screw down through the center of the ring using a dog point screw into a matching hole in the scope base or in some cases, into the action itself. Invisible to the casual observer and rock solid.

Pete
    What's a dog point screw Pete?

Quote Originally Posted by WallyDog View Post
    .....or I just totally messed up that old HBR barrel when I turned it down to the original military step diameter contour. I took off quite a bit and it was a button rifle barrel. Ill post up the results after I get the Boyd and get it pillared. Wally
    Wally, even though re-contouring an already finished button rifled barrel may change the internal dimensions, it's doubtful that's the culprit. A 'bad' (by BR standards) button rifled barrel would still be head and shoulders above your original!

I've used these BKL and Warne rimfire rings on center fire guns with no issues on correct 3/8" 'rim fire' bases:

https://www.bkltech.com/BKL-6-Long-D...-p/bkl-257.htm

https://www.natchezss.com/warne-22-s...ium-matte.html

Looking forward to your results! -Al

Re cut barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    Wally, even though re-contouring an already finished button rifled barrel may change the internal dimensions, it's doubtful that's the culprit. A 'bad' (by BR standards) button rifled barrel would still be head and shoulders above your original!

I've used these BKL and Warne rimfire rings on center fire guns with no issues on correct 3/8" 'rim fire' bases:

https://www.bkltech.com/BKL-6-Long-D...-p/bkl-257.htm

https://www.natchezss.com/warne-22-s...ium-matte.html

Looking forward to your results! -Al
    A dog point set screw has a dowel pin like on one end rather than a tapered point. Use it like a dowel pin with a drilled hole in your base material and then tighten. Its super strong. Thanks for the rimfire ring links. Im using Weavers now. I have some medium Burris rings with a really hefty jaw on the movable side. Running a tight patch through the barrel and it seems consistent all the way through for tension. Very scientific I know. I have access to hole pin gages but didn't want to get too fussy . yet!. Trying to stay in the realms of economic reality with this old action. I just hate to see an old dog Mauser die. I have 2 other highly modified M98's from the 60's that are my favorite deer and varmint rifles. I have an old CR Pederson rifle from Wisconsin in 270 in an exhibition stock. The other was a early Benchrest gun in 6 International and a huge BR stock from that period. It was a PD launching machine. I recently retired it from the PD field and made it into a 243 with a synthetic stock. Id like to think that both will last another 100 yrs if taken care of.

Sorry Al

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    What's a dog point screw Pete?
    I noticed you got an answer. I haven't looked on here for a few days.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    I noticed you got an answer. I haven't looked on here for a few days.

Pete
    Thanks Pete

be well

al

Boyd is here!

Received the Boyd stock in 10 days of ordering it! I am impressed to be honest. The quality is pretty good with the floorplate inletting being really generous. That's ok as Im going to bed it out anyway. Took me 2 days of tedious checking with paper shims and chiseling to get where I needed to be. Its been a longtime since I fussed in an inletting job. I taped off the barrel to get the free float right on the forend tip and then just have the rear action screw/tang sit on my glued in pillar. Just a strange dance of wrestling and chiseling and checking for clearance with paper strips. Sooooo I had to order some Accra Glas gel. Wow has that stuff went up in price! I like it as its really tough and is fairly easy to work with. I was able to get the front floorplate tang and recoil lug tang to meet so it makes a pillar. So Im feeling pretty amped up on the project. Ill supply some pics if anybody wants. Not an exciting project but hey they aint all exhibition grade rifles! My goal is 1 MOA at 100yds with this guy. Ill take 1.5 MOA but that's the outside.

Wally

Love to see some pics, Wally. Years ago, I came into a live varmint gun that good pal Stan Ware's father had built. It was a classic of the era....Mauser 98, a walnut stock with rolled over cheek piece, white line Pachmayr recoil pad, deep blued Douglas barrel chambered in 6MM Remington, Canjar trigger and Buehler scope mounts on the receiver and barrel. After touching up the bedding, it shot honest 5/8" groups at 100 with Sierra 70 gr. HPBT 'match' bullets and WW760. The history of that gun is pretty cool and I'm glad to been a small part of it.

Looking forward to seeing more of your project. -Al

A few pre-bed pics

Im new to this posting of pictures online but Ill give it the old quarantine try! These are pics of an assembled Mauser with Boyd stock pre bedding job. Accra Glas isnt due til Wednesday if then. Ill post bedding pics after that if they arent too gruesome looking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200405_110113.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	3.65 MB 
ID:	23460   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200405_110345.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	3.28 MB 
ID:	23461  

Great look for a vintage classic. -Al

Quote Originally Posted by WallyDog View Post
    Im new to this posting of pictures online but Ill give it the old quarantine try! These are pics of an assembled Mauser with Boyd stock pre bedding job. Accra Glas isnt due til Wednesday if then. Ill post bedding pics after that if they arent too gruesome looking.
    TOO MUCH FUN in them pictures...... Good On Ya!

Mausers are a Mother-Bear biggity biotch to bed good, good luck and don't forget to wax everything you don't tape

And remember, as long as you dye the gel an easily duplicated color, patchwork is easy and seamless. (for when the gel oozes into the wrong corner)

Mausers are a Mother-Bear biggity biotch to bed good, good luck and don't forget to wax everything you don't tape.
    Wally might have bedded a few rifles in his life. -Al

Wally might have bedded a few rifles in his life. -Al
    Oh, sorry

Old Mousers

Love to see some pics, Wally. Years ago, I came into a live varmint gun that good pal Stan Ware's father had built. It was a classic of the era....Mauser 98, a walnut stock with rolled over cheek piece, white line Pachmayr recoil pad, deep blued Douglas barrel chambered in 6MM Remington, Canjar trigger and Buehler scope mounts on the receiver and barrel. After touching up the bedding, it shot honest 5/8" groups at 100 with Sierra 70 gr. HPBT 'match' bullets and WW760. The history of that gun is pretty cool and I'm glad to been a small part of it.

Looking forward to seeing more of your project. -Al
    I had a very similar gun to the one you mentioned. It was a M98 action on a huge Fagen mahogany stock. White line recoil pad and large Monte cheekpiece. It started life as a Benchrest rifle and was chambered in 6 International. A really interesting round developed as the 6mm answer to the 222AI. Longer neck, Steeper shoulder angle etc. Supposedly Mike Walker had a hand in it. Formed from 250 Savage brass or 22/250. It was fussy to load but I shot a bunch of ww760 and H4895. It shot best when loaded warm shall we say. I can honestly say I shot that barrel 5k rounds at prairie dogs. The barrel looked like gator skin in the throat. I quit dogging and re purposed the rifle for deer/ coyote hunting. It got a HS Hunter stock that feels gummy at the fore end for a nice grip. A Shilen 13 twist barrel I got on sale one size bigger than sporter. 90 gr'ers is it. 243 Winchester chambering. It shoots 5/8 at 100. A mans gun as they are heavy but bomb proof reliability.
    Last edited by WallyDog; 04-06-2020 at 12:41 PM.

I do it in sections.

TOO MUCH FUN in them pictures...... Good On Ya!

Mausers are a Mother-Bear biggity biotch to bed good, good luck and don't forget to wax everything you don't tape

And remember, as long as you dye the gel an easily duplicated color, patchwork is easy and seamless. (for when the gel oozes into the wrong corner)
    This old Mauser IS a fussy bed job. Im going to do the rear pillar first. Once that is done ill have a better shot at doing the recoil lug area and the first inch or so of the barrel. Then for the third section Ill do the trigger guard area with the brown dye. This isn't my first rodeo for bedding but I listen to any and all advice. Ill take some pics if it doesn't look too gruesome.lol
    Wally

Phase 2

Got the AcraGlas gel sooner than expected so the rear pillar got spooged in yesterday. 10 hr cure time. I was a lil light on how much I used but not much. A few surface voids but not coming out of every seam so no extensive clean up. Did the recoil lug/barrel area this am. Phase 3 tomorrow for the floor plate.
    Wally