Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: I need a one piece redt

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mattoon
    Posts
    3,145

    I need a one piece redt

    Whatís your favorite one piece rest? I am in the need of and I donít know what one to go with. Papas or the stiller or something else?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Boothbay Harbor, ME
    Posts
    584
    Lee, Iíve not shot off the Stiller so canít speak of those. Iíve heard theyíre nice.
    I didnít care for the Papas I had but didnít try a different top either.
    Randolph makes a nice one pc. There is one for sale on Rimfire Accuracy now.
    Also, Cliff Arnold make a nice one. Heard nothing but good about those as well.

    Keith

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    20
    I have a Pappas and tried three tops before I found one that I liked. It's called a Fuzz Button made by PPQ. It made a big difference in the way my rifle recoils and stays on POA. $225 from Killoughs Shooting Sports.
    Last edited by penn63; 03-13-2020 at 06:08 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    upstate, N.Y.
    Posts
    2,745
    I have very little need for a one piece rest but I bought a Stiller for UNL matches. The thing is damn slick and there are very good reasons they sell as soon as he turns them out.
    IMHO the joystick is the only way to go currently. I use the bag top with an Edgewood, don't favor hard/bouncy.
    Last edited by tim; 03-13-2020 at 08:33 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Middle TN
    Posts
    41
    Before I bought a joystick, I would go to a match as use one. As many don't like them as do like them. I have tried them and don't care for them personally. Others love them. Sometimes it depends how you shoot. If you shoot up and down, they aren't for you.

    Go to a match and look and try them. Then again, if you haven't used any of them, you will probably like whatever you buy. Another a lot of people are using is the PQP lite. A little cheaper, but only allows for the included rest top. Many good shooters use a similar design.

    If you want some bling (color), Cliff Arnold is the best game in town. I would say he has 50% of the market right now.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    upstate, N.Y.
    Posts
    2,745
    Quote Originally Posted by Hozzie View Post
    Before I bought a joystick, I would go to a match as use one. As many don't like them as do like them. I have tried them and don't care for them personally. Others love them. Sometimes it depends how you shoot. If you shoot up and down, they aren't for you.

    Go to a match and look and try them. Then again, if you haven't used any of them, you will probably like whatever you buy. Another a lot of people are using is the PQP lite. A little cheaper, but only allows for the included rest top. Many good shooters use a similar design.

    If you want some bling (color), Cliff Arnold is the best game in town. I would say he has 50% of the market right now.
    You have me curious, why would it make a difference if you shoot up and down?
    Understand,I suspect, the possibility of no windage requirement with a two wheel system but I suspect that is not a world many shooters live in, particularly outdoors.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Middle TN
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    You have me curious, why would it make a difference if you shoot up and down?
    Understand,I suspect, the possibility of no windage requirement with a two wheel system but I suspect that is not a world many shooters live in, particularly outdoors.
    Because of the way the cam works it drifts as I understand it when it goes up and down. That may not be the best way to explain it, but is a known side effect of the way the joystick works. Just something you have to be ok with. Not that its good or bad, just something to be aware of. I end up always moving to my aim point from the same direction regardless so I am not sure it matters that much but has been something people who do shoot up and down point out.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    upstate, N.Y.
    Posts
    2,745
    I'd guess guys that find issues tend not to have joystick experience.
    Coming from the CF world and using a Farley, now SEB, and the fact that your hand never leaves the joystick, any required adjustment L or R is about instantaneous after about 15 minutes with it. With practice you can go straight up or down with no drift if required in my experience.
    Since 90% of my shooting is off two piece with bags, this thing is slick.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    333
    I believe this is the only pure joystick ,1 piece rest design, in existence designed for RF. It travels pretty close to true either horizontally or vertical.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rest.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	890.0 KB 
ID:	23357
    Last edited by Jerry H; 03-15-2020 at 01:26 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    403
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry H View Post
    I believe this the only pure joystick 1 piece rest design in existence designed for RF. It travels pretty close to true either horizontally or vertical.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rest.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	890.0 KB 
ID:	23357
    Hey Jerry,
    I was pretty impressed when you showed that to me a couple of years ago in St Louis.
    BTW, just spent a few days with Stiller and should have given you a call. We messed around with my Young rail and a few other things.
    In route home now,
    Landy

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    23

    Target Shooting Rests

    Iíve known Wally Brownlee for a long time and have been working with him to design the ultimate rimfire rifle rest. He obviously has the talent and resources to make a great rest and Iím sure would welcome some feedback from you guys. Drop him a note or give him a call at 1.800.611.2164 Letís help him design the ultimate rimfire rest! Heís a great guy with a passion for building the best rests and equipment for the serious shooters!

    https://www.targetshooting.com/news/

    High Noon

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Middle TN
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    I'd guess guys that find issues tend not to have joystick experience.
    Coming from the CF world and using a Farley, now SEB, and the fact that your hand never leaves the joystick, any required adjustment L or R is about instantaneous after about 15 minutes with it. With practice you can go straight up or down with no drift if required in my experience.
    Since 90% of my shooting is off two piece with bags, this thing is slick.
    This isn't guys with no experience. In fact, two of the people who shoot this way are probably considered in the top 10 all time. I'm not trying to blow it out of proportion, just simply stating what some don't like. Like I said, some love it so I won't say it's bad, just personal preference.

    I suspect in the case of this OP, it wouldn't matter if he has no experience with any of them. I also feel like I need to add, Stiller's rests are obviously high quality, I don't want anyone getting the wrong idea. It's all personal preference. As we tell everyone on most threads like this, go to a match and try one. Someone will be there to let you try it.
    Last edited by Hozzie; 03-14-2020 at 12:04 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    upstate, N.Y.
    Posts
    2,745
    Understood. The OP is, I believe, a CF guy so I'd guess it is an easy transition.
    Jerry H down in Tx did a pretty good job on his but IMHO Lots of parts.
    All of BR involves a ton of "monkey see monkey do" and rimfire is way, way more than Cf. I am sure you know tons of guys, as well, with equipment top to bottom based on what got read on forums, what the WLM may or may not have stated as absolute fact or simply that is what many others do.
    As I said,Jerry's is an elegant solution backed by great design world class machine work. Simplicity at it's finest.
    Last edited by tim; 03-14-2020 at 08:31 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    71
    How smooth is the joystick on the PQP compared to a Seb Neo?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    upstate, N.Y.
    Posts
    2,745
    Quote Originally Posted by zanemoseley View Post
    How smooth is the joystick on the PQP compared to a Seb Neo?
    It is easy but you have to remember it is only for windage.....your hand is also on the vertical adjustment wheel
    So you still have 2 adjustments without 2 wheels.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •