Thread: Hines Jackets or J-4 Jackets.

Hines Jackets or J-4 Jackets.

Ed Bernabeo called the other day and said Bullet Central would sell him 150 30 caliber .925 jackets for around $20. He ordered them so we could give them a try.

He got them today, came over to my shop and we seated cores in them. The jackets actually took a .0005 larger punch to get the core line just right, but they weigh about .8 grn more than the J-4ís we have been using. The bottoms must be a tad thicker. The bullies will be a tad under 113 grns.

Anyway, we are going to point them up in the morning and head up to Tomball.

It will be interesting to give a heads up test. See if the load stays the same. The J-4ís are shooting quite well in both of our 30BRís. I will let everybody know how it goes.
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 03-07-2020 at 09:29 PM.

Jackie , you will be happy with the hines 30's ....

Jackie, that's cheap - yeah - what George said - the Hines jackets are somewhat different, but very good. RG

Yesterday was not the best day for testing. Nice and sunny......but with a 15 to 20 mph wind.

But, we were able to catch enough readable spots to come to the conclusion that as far as we could tell, the Hines and J-4 were equal.

Thatís all I can say for now.

Perhaps your choice will come down to availability.

A good friend just switched from Hines to J-4 (0.925" .30-cal on Ulrich dies). He can't tell a difference on paper.....they both shoot exceptionally tight. I think he said the J-4's were a grain+ lighter.

I've been making my 6's and 30's on Hines and am very pleased.

-Lee
    www.singleactions.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Martin View Post
    A good friend just switched from Hines to J-4 (0.925" .30-cal on Ulrich dies). He can't tell a difference on paper.....they both shoot exceptionally tight. I think he said the J-4's were a grain+ lighter.

I've been making my 6's and 30's on Hines and am very pleased.

-Lee
    www.singleactions.com
    Yep Lee, They rock..........doing 6mm .820". I lost track of bullets(very few rejects), not being up to the feel, of the press.
    I call rejects. Lowell called them culled....
    Maybe, 1 jacket/bullet would not feel right. Set it aside.....reject. Is it the jacket or bullet?
    Does not matter. Take those rejects and shoot them. They still go in the group.....
    I did 5000 last year/this year....had 1 reject. Still went in the group.
    Bart's/Hines jackets and Charlie Hood cores.......all good.
    Hope that makes sense...
    Last edited by zippy06; 03-11-2020 at 05:31 PM.

I've done the same. Any bullet that doesn't feel right on core seat or point up gets put aside (those are a miniscule % of total). And I've shot those into the same hole as the "good".

Since I make my own cores, I also experimented with weight variation. I purposely made a few of my 67 gr 6mm's +/- 0.3 grs from base weight....and that delta never showed up on paper. For my 114 gr 30's, I increased the spread to +/- 0.5 grs. At 100 yards, still no difference on target. I suspect it wouldn't show degraded performance at 200 yards either and possibly even 300. That said, I still put a lot of effort into swaging my cores to the same weight. They usually vary by way under a tenth of a grain.

-Lee
    www.singleactions.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Martin View Post
    I've done the same. Any bullet that doesn't feel right on core seat or point up gets put aside (those are a miniscule % of total). And I've shot those into the same hole as the "good".

Since I make my own cores, I also experimented with weight variation. I purposely made a few of my 67 gr 6mm's +/- 0.3 grs from base weight....and that delta never showed up on paper. For my 114 gr 30's, I increased the spread to +/- 0.5 grs. At 100 yards, still no difference on target. I suspect it wouldn't show degraded performance at 200 yards either and possibly even 300. That said, I still put a lot of effort into swaging my cores to the same weight. They usually vary by way under a tenth of a grain.

-Lee
    www.singleactions.com
    Yes, this! Well stated, Lee - though variation will not kill you, minimizing/eliminating it insures precision grouping/scoring.
    Experimenting - especially testing the extremes - is where the fun an satisfaction hangout - ooooh, for the days when I had the time . . .RG

Cool way back when

c detsch one pull on handle then a quick half pull keeps even weig ht WHEN SQURITING LEAD
    Last edited by BillBrawand; 03-14-2020 at 10:19 AM.