Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy Groundhog Day....and I need a little help on my new rimfire benchrest rifle.

Happy Groundhog Day....and I need a little help on my new rimfire benchrest rifle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31B484F1-031A-40EE-9D01-EB45681EA850.jpeg 
Views:	38 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	23281

Happy Groundhog Day!

Iím putting together a new 22 rimfire benchrest rifle and need a little help. I just received a new 2500X action, RBLP.

I dusted off a new RKS cut rifled barrel Iíve had for years.....itís a progressive twist 32 to 16.5 at 26 inches, chrome moly full diameter blank that I would like to have someone contour it to a Remington Varmint contour. Who could I trust to do this correctly?

Then it needs match chambered and fitted to the 2500X....any recommend gunsmith?

Then it will be rust blued....Iím old school and want the classic look.

Thanks everyone!

High Noon

Quote Originally Posted by High Noon View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31B484F1-031A-40EE-9D01-EB45681EA850.jpeg 
Views:	38 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	23281

Happy Groundhog Day!

Iím putting together a new 22 rimfire benchrest rifle and need a little help. I just received a new 2500X action, RBLP.

I dusted off a new RKS cut rifled barrel Iíve had for years.....itís a progressive twist 32 to 16.5 at 26 inches, chrome moly full diameter blank that I would like to have someone contour it to a Remington Varmint contour. Who could I trust to do this correctly?

Then it needs match chambered and fitted to the 2500X....any recommend gunsmith?

Then it will be rust blued....Iím old school and want the classic look.

Thanks everyone!

High Noon
    Your money but it has long been shown, these days that is waaay too much gain. Guys going gain now find about an inch is max.
    In CF the gains go as little as 1/8" . You may or may not find a smith willing to work on it, probably way ahead of the game to sell it and get a match SS straight .900" barrel to shoot, likely much better result.
    Last edited by tim; 02-02-2020 at 03:00 PM.

Gain twist?

Anybody shooting these in registered match competition? 22 rimfire.

...a little help on my new benchrest rifle.

Thanks Tim....maybe itís time to look for a new barrel. Will a straight .900 barrel work ok on a 2500X? Any suggestions on barrel....any for sale?

Thanks,
    High Noon

Thanks Tim....maybe itís time to look for a new barrel. Will a straight .900 barrel work ok on a 2500X? Any suggestions on barrel....any for sale?

Thanks,
    High Noon
    That is probably the most common dimension which will give you at least 24" for a 10.5 lb rifle.Anything .875"-.900" is fine.
    Shilen ratchets are popular, Muller's as well.
    Call Killoughs Shooting in Tx. They usually will have something in stock or coming.

There have been a couple for sale over on Rimfire Accuracy.

If you come up short circle back and PM me, I may have a blank for you, if you wish.
    Last edited by tim; 02-03-2020 at 11:12 PM.

.......a little help on my benchrest rifle

Iím just curious, it seems not that long ago cut rifled barrels were doing very well in rimfire benchrest, they dominate centerfire benchrest today so why arenít more used in rimfire today?

High Noon

Iím just curious, it seems not that long ago cut rifled barrels were doing very well in rimfire benchrest, they dominate centerfire benchrest today so why arenít more used in rimfire today?

High Noon
    Apparently a few, but only, I guess a few. The reasons/opinions would fill a whole forum but among the largest has been bad mouthing by some self serving types.
    From guys I have talked to some Kreigers and Bartleins are doing pretty good and personally I would try one if I was looking to fit a new barrel. The stuff I mentioned is typical of what most guys are having most success with.

.......a little help on my benchrest rifle

....Tim which ďoneĒ would you like to try? Thanks for all your help too!

High Noon

Like Tim has said, the ratchets of late are good.
    Todd

....Tim which ďoneĒ would you like to try? Thanks for all your help too!

High Noon
    Talking with Kevin Nevius, a multi time national prone champion, not BR but valid none the less, he has had great success with Kreigers which are also taper lapped. Personally, I would not hesitate to try one but remember it also boils down to what you can get in a timely fashion.

Good advice here!

The one thing I would suggest is to shoot whatever you think is best while you were waiting for the barrel maker to finish the one you think you prefer. I suppose "think" is the key word....

Why not select the smith and let him obtain the needed parts that HE will be expected to assemble?

Easy, many/most will no longer do that any longer.

....and a little update on my new rimfire bench rifle..

After a lot of consideration I finally took Timís advice and sold my RKS progressive twist barrel. I really wanted to give it a go ( you just have to try to understand how crazy I am at times...in my shooting life...) however it would have needed to be turned down $$$ / time and I wanted to have it professionally rust blued more $$$/ time.. BTW..I will say it sold almost immediately to the traditional single shot guys at a high price. They know those barrels very well and I guess they really rock at long range silhouette with them! I actually got a couple personal emails from experienced rimfire shooters that said they would put them up to any make barrel! Interesting...

So I decided to contact Mark Penrod at Penrodís Precision and asked the pro for some guidance. Iíve actually known Mark for a long time, we have helped each other over the years but for some reason I have never had him build a rifle for me. So we decided on a Shilen Ratchet and a Benchmark 3 groove. So I sent my new 2500X action over and he has the barrels ordered. Heís also getting me a few things from Jerry Stiller like an action wrench so I can change the barrels. Oh, I havenít given up on those cut rifled barrels either and plan on having Mark install a couple next year!

Thanks to Tim and everyone here....and stay tuned for the custom stock update!!

High Noon

Great choice, I have a great shooting rifle Penrod built.