Thread: 2020 NBRSA Gulf Coast Region Schedule

2020 NBRSA Gulf Coast Region Schedule

Attached is the finalized 2020 NBRSA Gulf Coast Schedule.

I'd like to thank all the people behind the scenes, the match directors, the ranges hosting our matches and the people who do all the work to allow us to have a place to shoot and to compete. Without you and without the shooters who choose to attend the matches, we would not have places to shoot. You are the people who make this schedule possible. A Hearty Thank You and a Happy New Year and enjoy the new year to come.

2020 Gulf Coast Region Schedule.docx
    2020 Gulf Coast Region Schedule.pdf

Also attached is the finalized spreadsheet for the 2019 Gulf Coast Shooter of the Year. We had 77 shooters throughout the region who competed in at least one match.
    2019 GC Shooter of the Year Final.xls

Thanks Mike!

No Crawfish this year.

The reason........poor attendance.

But we have a lot of matches. Letís all support the NBRSA and the affiliate Clubs and Ranges who are holding Matches.

Jackie, there were 32 shooters at the Crawfish at Huntsville last year. Pretty close to what we ran at just about every other match all year long.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bryant View Post
    Jackie, there were 32 shooters at the Crawfish at Huntsville last year. Pretty close to what we ran at just about every other match all year long.
    I know, Mike. Perhaps Larry just decided it was not worth the expense and work this year. Like many of us, his Business limits the amount of tome and labor he can dedicate.

Mike, tell the Forum about the GCR Score Shooter of the year that is being proposed.

At the directors meeting, it was passed to have a NBRSA National Shooter of the Year award. Those who placed in the top 5 of each regions Shooter of the Year would qualify to shoot at the Nationals for the National Shooter of the Year. Those qualifiers would only be shooting against the other five qualifiers from each region.

The Gulf Coast region has had the Gulf Coast Region Shooter of the Year in group matches for the past 15 years. We have not had a program for Gulf Coast Shooter of the Year in score shooting. Iíve discussed this with the match directors at Lake Charles and Tomball to base the GC Region Score Shooter of the Year on the following matches: 200/300 VFS Texas State at Huntsville, 100/200 VFS Texas State at Tomball, Louisiana State 100/200 VFS at Lake Charles and the Gulf Coast Regional 100/200 VFS at Lake Charles. To try to keep this from being an attendance award, it is to be based upon the shooters placings in their best 6 out of the 8 yardages. This is not set in stone and will be discussed at the annual meeting at the Bluebonnet match at New Braunfels. It seems best to figure it on a points basis similar to how the world team is selected. if you figure it on score and X count then more than likely the 300 yard VFS would be kicked out and not counted as it would more than likely have a lower score and lower X count than 100 or 200 yard matches.

We will also discuss at the annual meeting making changes to the way the regional group shooter of the year is figured. We have 5 two day group matches in the region this year. 5 2 day matches is equal to 20 yardages. We could go to either best 12 out of 20 yardages or best 16 out of 20 yardages to attempt to make it not so much of an attendance award. I donít think that this will hurt attendance as very few shooters can or will make all events.

We usually have a second part of the annual meeting at Midland. This time the meeting at New Braunfels will be it, due to there being a July 1st deadline for getting agenda items for the annual directorís meeting in the magazine and getting it out to the membership before the Nationals in St. Louis.

Gcrs

Mike I like the idea for score shooting . I only do group shooting for fun.

At the directors meeting, it was passed to have a NBRSA National Shooter of the Year award. Those who placed in the top 5 of each regions Shooter of the Year would qualify to shoot at the Nationals for the National Shooter of the Year. Those qualifiers would only be shooting against the other five qualifiers from each region.

The Gulf Coast region has had the Gulf Coast Region Shooter of the Year in group matches for the past 15 years. We have not had a program for Gulf Coast Shooter of the Year in score shooting. Iíve discussed this with the match directors at Lake Charles and Tomball to base the GC Region Score Shooter of the Year on the following matches: 200/300 VFS Texas State at Huntsville, 100/200 VFS Texas State at Tomball, Louisiana State 100/200 VFS at Lake Charles and the Gulf Coast Regional 100/200 VFS at Lake Charles. To try to keep this from being an attendance award, it is to be based upon the shooters placings in their best 6 out of the 8 yardages. This is not set in stone and will be discussed at the annual meeting at the Bluebonnet match at New Braunfels. It seems best to figure it on a points basis similar to how the world team is selected. if you figure it on score and X count then more than likely the 300 yard VFS would be kicked out and not counted as it would more than likely have a lower score and lower X count than 100 or 200 yard matches.

We will also discuss at the annual meeting making changes to the way the regional group shooter of the year is figured. We have 5 two day group matches in the region this year. 5 2 day matches is equal to 20 yardages. We could go to either best 12 out of 20 yardages or best 16 out of 20 yardages to attempt to make it not so much of an attendance award. I donít think that this will hurt attendance as very few shooters can or will make all events.

We usually have a second part of the annual meeting at Midland. This time the meeting at New Braunfels will be it, due to there being a July 1st deadline for getting agenda items for the annual directorís meeting in the magazine and getting it out to the membership before the Nationals in St. Louis.
    For score shooter of the year, I'd like to see Texas State Hunter and Louisiana State Hunter added in there. WE are score shooters too.

Quote Originally Posted by coondogkid View Post
    For score shooter of the year, I'd like to see Texas State Hunter and Louisiana State Hunter added in there. WE are score shooters too.
    I understand that. This year there isnít a Texas State Hunter match scheduled. Iíd be glad to add it to the schedule but there hasnít been a range that has volunteered to put it into their schedule. Probably the best way to host it is add it to go along with a ranges VFS match that they already have scheduled. I encourage any VFS and HTR shooters to attend the annual meeting at New Braunfels at the Bluebonnet match. I welcome any input as to a GC Shooter of the Year program for score. The more input the better. I have not had any input into how many shooters there are in the GC Region who participate in hunter class matches.

I understand that. This year there isnít a Texas State Hunter match scheduled. Iíd be glad to add it to the schedule but there hasnít been a range that has volunteered to put it into their schedule. Probably the best way to host it is add it to go along with a ranges VFS match that they already have scheduled. I encourage any VFS and HTR shooters to attend the annual meeting at New Braunfels at the Bluebonnet match. I welcome any input as to a GC Shooter of the Year program for score. The more input the better. I have not had any input into how many shooters there are in the GC Region who participate in hunter class matches.
    It's in Precision Rifleman , Feb. 23 Battle of San Jacinto & Texas State HTR
    So can we add Tx. St. HTR and La. St. HTR ?

Quote Originally Posted by coondogkid View Post
    It's in Precision Rifleman , Feb. 23 Battle of San Jacinto & Texas State HTR
    So can we add Tx. St. HTR and La. St. HTR ?
    Probably the best thing to do to institute a Shooter of the Year program is to call it Score Shooter of the Year instead of VFS Shooter of the Year.

However, It looks like it's not a good year to try to institute a VFS shooter of the year program. All of the VFS matches that were going to be used to figure the SOY have been canceled or postponed. SWLA and Tomball have canceled their remaining matches. The Bluebonnet at New Braunfels has been canceled. Of course, all due to the Covid 19 pandemic. The next match that is still on the schedule is Seymour's UL & HV June 6 & 7. Those two matches are the Texas State UL & HV. Let's hope that the rest of the season is still able to take place. We'll probably let the GC regional SP at Midland and the GC regional LV at Lubbock also be the Texas State SP and LV. That's about the only way I can see to get those two Texas State events included now. I have the patches for them, so no need to throw them in the trash.