Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Question For Jackie Schmidt

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Posts
    10

    Question For Jackie Schmidt

    Hi Jackie,

    I tried to send this as a Private Message but it was rejected because your mail box is full. Please respond via Private Message.



    I seldom post but have followed BR central since the late 90s. I noted awhile back that you mentioned that you did not trust the 42X fixed NF scope and there was a reason that NF has discontinued manufacturing it.

    I have nine variable NF NXS and Competition scopes as well as one 40X March but have no experience with the NF Fixed power scopes. I greatly respect your knowledge and would appreciate it if you would share your reason for not liking or trusting the 42X.

    Thinking about adding another fixed power to the mix but don't want to get a headache in the process.

    Thank you, Sir, and Merry Christmas.

    Bill Adcox
    critter_bill

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,821
    I cleared my box and sent you a reply.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Posts
    10
    Thank you, Jackie, for sharing first hand experience. Very informative and much appreciated.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    176
    I too trust jackie but in testing on accurate shooter,
    the 12- 42x was one of the better scopes tested.
    ( they are looking at long range scopes, not short range br)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    11,033
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    I too trust jackie but in testing on accurate shooter,
    the 12- 42x was one of the better scopes tested.
    ( they are looking at long range scopes, not short range br)
    And how exactly does one test "long range scopes" over there on accurate shooter????

    Over here the test is brutally simple.....


    does



    it




    hold





    zero




    .




    period.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    SW Kansas
    Posts
    737

    Not even remotely

    Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    I too trust jackie but in testing on accurate shooter,
    the 12- 42x was one of the better scopes tested.
    ( they are looking at long range scopes, not short range br)
    the same venue. How do you check a scope for .050 worth of POI change on a rifle that shoots .250 groups or bigger??

    There are scopes out there with really great glass but are really dogs in the BR world. My BR scopes lack a little in that department but like Al says, they hold POI and that trumps everything.

    Richard

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northshore
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    the same venue. How do you check a scope for .050 worth of POI change on a rifle that shoots .250 groups or bigger??

    There are scopes out there with really great glass but are really dogs in the BR world. My BR scopes lack a little in that department but like Al says, they hold POI and that trumps everything.

    Richard
    If you use a Hood scope checker doesn't make a difference if you hit the target or not.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    SW Kansas
    Posts
    737

    I have a hood scope checker

    are you saying that was used during the long range scope testing?

    Richard

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northshore
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    are you saying that was used during the long range scope testing?

    Richard
    No at 100 yds. i figure if it don't move at any distance then that's good. This is with 2 scopes mounted together aimed at the same point. one must be a known good scope.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    94

    NF Scope

    Quote Originally Posted by critter_bill View Post
    Hi Jackie,

    I tried to send this as a Private Message but it was rejected because your mail box is full. Please respond via Private Message.

    I seldom post but have followed BR central since the late 90s. I noted awhile back that you mentioned that you did not trust the 42X fixed NF scope and there was a reason that NF has discontinued manufacturing it.

    I have nine variable NF NXS and Competition scopes as well as one 40X March but have no experience with the NF Fixed power scopes. I greatly respect your knowledge and would appreciate it if you would share your reason for not liking or trusting the 42X.

    Thinking about adding another fixed power to the mix but don't want to get a headache in the process.

    Thank you, Sir, and Merry Christmas.

    Bill Adcox
    critter_bill
    Just to put the positive side forward there are shooters around the world using the 42x NF Scope with success at short range.
    Take a look earlier this year at the WBC in Canada
    http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?...web-page/page2
    Also if you look up the NBRSA National results for this year you will find the NF42x. Some exceptional shooters using them.

    I think if you also search into the archives you will find some of the Leupold Competition Series were moving 0.050. I am not doubting Richard for 1 second just illustrating that these also were the same situation and shooters are using these scopes.

    The NF 42x is not currently in production, so if your wanting a new scope the March HM48 is probably the one to get or potentially the Leupold Comp scope.

    All are being used successfully.

    Just another point of view for you to consider

    Michael

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •