Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Falcon actions!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    4

    Falcon actions!

    I am looking at buying a falcon action. After asking a couple of the veteran shooters at my local club about it I am leery going ahead with the purchase. One shoots a 2500x and the other a new turbo. While I would love to have Langley or Stiller build me a brand new rifle I just dont have the funds. There advice was to look at the AMA nationals leaderboard and pull up an equipment list to see how many Falcons were in the running. I did and only one. When I google falcon rifle builds there are several people that talk good about them and very little negative out there. Am I missing something... why are there not more of them being used in ama? Any advice is welcome.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Mid TN
    Posts
    25
    Check your PM's.

    Tad

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    upstate, N.Y.
    Posts
    2,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Magikhands View Post
    I am looking at buying a falcon action. After asking a couple of the veteran shooters at my local club about it I am leery going ahead with the purchase. One shoots a 2500x and the other a new turbo. While I would love to have Langley or Stiller build me a brand new rifle I just dont have the funds. There advice was to look at the AMA nationals leaderboard and pull up an equipment list to see how many Falcons were in the running. I did and only one. When I google falcon rifle builds there are several people that talk good about them and very little negative out there. Am I missing something... why are there not more of them being used in ama? Any advice is welcome.
    Because, often, they need a lot of work to become an actual BR action and there are more than a few out there that have been cobbed up.
    The most expensive thing could do is save money on the action. If you are not well versed on action pluses and minuses, buy the 2500X.....it needs zero to function properly.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Augusta, Maine & Palm Coast, Fl
    Posts
    6,106

    The maker of Falcons

    sorta dropped out of making them years ago. I heard he makes expensive 1911's or the like instead. I've seen at least one that shoots well. Doug Bell has one that does ok, as I remember. Falcon made some right eject actions back when others weren't making them, which was nifty.

    There are those who say Halls don't shoot either but there is one shooting in Jacksonville this winter that is cleaning a few clocks. Beware of those who say custom made actions need a lot of work to be competitive. Chances are, they are regurgitating third or fourth hand information. They have been proven wrong often.

    Pete

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    2,504
    Hall's and Falcons are fantastic actions. I Have both and they shoot quite well with the right barrel ammo cmbo. Never a miss fire with either one.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    4

    Thanks for all the advice.

    I appriciate the time everyone took to give me opinions and information. I did end up buying the falcon as the price was to good to pass up. I hope I don't regret my decision. I am in all honesty nearly sick waiting to get it so I can take it to the range and see if I made a mistake.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    262

    Better late than never...

    I hope your new Falcon serves you well. I have a Falcon with a Benchmark barrel that's served me quite well. Very reliable.

    Enjoy!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    2,504
    The barrel is your next choice to make. I like the Shilen Octagon I have on my Hall, so I'm putting one on my Falcon. So far, I've had a Shilen 8 grove Chromoly,a Border and a Mueller 8 Grove, and the all shot well. Barrel and ammo combination is what you need to shoot for. ( No pun intended )

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    4

    I should know more Thursday!

    I'm not sure what I'm getting. The rifle was built in whole by Leonard Baity 4 years ago. I am buying it used from an individual that thinks it has a Douglas premium barrel. When I talked to Leonard about it he thinks it has a Shillen ratchet. I will have wait and see when it gets here if one of the fellas that I shoot with can tell me what it is. Then yes time to start the ammo hunt. I have a lead on a few good lots that are available from a fellow shooter that I am trying to get to do some testing.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    2,504

    What Leonard Thinks

    I think I would go with Leonard on this one, unless the seller tells you different. I don't see any need to do any work on the action as it has been used for 4 years and was built by the man that designed that action. When Testing ammo, again, what did Leonard build it for. If that's an unknown, I would test both Eley and Lapua. I would start with Black Box and Cenrter X. Until you get the feel of the ammo it likes, only then would I invest in 5 or 6 different lots of that brand and see how it shoots. Keep us posted.
    Here are photos of my Falcon in two different stocks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Falcon  BR 1042.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	23196   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SN0042WYStock.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	767.3 KB 
ID:	23197  
    Last edited by Fred J; 12-24-2019 at 03:26 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Magikhands View Post
    I'm not sure what I'm getting. The rifle was built in whole by Leonard Baity 4 years ago. I am buying it used from an individual that thinks it has a Douglas premium barrel. When I talked to Leonard about it he thinks it has a Shillen ratchet. I will have wait and see when it gets here if one of the fellas that I shoot with can tell me what it is. Then yes time to start the ammo hunt. I have a lead on a few good lots that are available from a fellow shooter that I am trying to get to do some testing.
    I got your PM, but I am not sure the reply was sent. To answer your question, yes I do. Its a good solid action, works as good as any available. I actually considered buying the one your getting, but I wanted to see it first. Just could not get the time to go look at it. Glad you got it bought, it should serve you well.

    George

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    4

    Nice looking rifle!

    Hey Fred. Those are both nice looking set-ups. Is that a pqp lite in the pic? Leonard said he was unsure but thought he remembered putting the Shillen on it. The owner had it listed as a Douglas. Both are nice barrel makers but Shillen seems to be the thing right now so I am hoping for that. Leonard said he made it for the eley bullet. I was hoping he was going to say Lapua. I will test both as you recommended and hope the centerx does well. I have a few different lots of centerx, wolf match extra, a case of Sk rifle match and some RWS but no eley. I guess I can get some eley match and see what it does too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191227_000934.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	3.44 MB 
ID:	23201  

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    2,504

    Rest

    Quote Originally Posted by Magikhands View Post
    Hey Fred. Those are both nice looking set-ups. Is that a pqp lite in the pic? Leonard said he was unsure but thought he remembered putting the Shillen on it. The owner had it listed as a Douglas. Both are nice barrel makers but Shillen seems to be the thing right now so I am hoping for that. Leonard said he made it for the eley bullet. I was hoping he was going to say Lapua. I will test both as you recommended and hope the centerx does well. I have a few different lots of centerx, wolf match extra, a case of Sk rifle match and some RWS but no eley. I guess I can get some eley match and see what it does too.
    Magikhands: No the rest isn't a PDQ Lite. This rest was Built my James Pappas, some 12-15 years ago. It's a copy of the Pearson Rest. Gary Pearson was given the rights, by the original designer, Grant Pickard, as Grant didn't want to fool with building a lot of them. Upon Gary's passing, James, took over the mfg, as well as some improvements as time went on, until his death. His Daughter, Jessie, is still manufacturing the Pappas Rests. The top, is an Arnold Roller top, that works well with the Wayne Young Stock. As for the barrel on the Falcon, look closely for identifying marks on the barrel. Some, but not all, stamp or engrave the mfg, as well as their name on the barrel just in front of the action. Slugging the barrel or bore scoping it will also tell you whether or not it's a Shilen Ratchet. Best of shooting in 2020. You've made a great purchase. There as several suppliers that will help you with lots to test. I use Clint Swigert, of " Shooting for Perfection ". Great to work with.
    Last edited by Fred J; 12-27-2019 at 01:24 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    12

    Question

    I have a Falcon right bolt and right port and I have trouble feeding the 22ís quickly over the scope. Would it be possible to have a machinist remove the metal on the left side of the receiver for easier feeding? Would that weaken the action too much with the heavy barrel accuracy speaking?

    If yes could you tell me a good gunsmith?

    Thanks!

    High Noon

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    2,504
    Butch Hongisto opened the left side of my Hall, so it could be loaded from either side. He left a Stap along the top of the action to maintain strength. My wife was right handed and I left, so it worked out well when we shared equipment at a Tournament. The Falcon should be able to handle the conversion. I don't have any other gunsmith in mind that will do that, and I don't know if Butch is still active.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •