Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jumping Back In?!

Jumping Back In?!

Ive got a question about a benchrest gun I stumbled across at a local gun shop. Its a Kelby Panda polished action. Barrel is marked 6ppc .263 nk. It has SGY markings on the barrel. Topped with a 36br Leupold Scope. Looks to be in nice condition with no rough handling marks etc. I don't have a bore scope so I cant look inside the beast. The bolt face however appears to be as new. The barrel has a really cool looking swirl etching on it.
    Ive been out of the game for 10 years and have nothing but a rough idea as to what its worth. I figure it has to be an older gun as Speedy hasn't built guns in a while under SGY logo? This is not an old gun by its appearance and stock. The gun is on cosignment for 2g and the shop says there is NO wiggle room on the price. What say ye?

Wallydog

Quote Originally Posted by WallyDog View Post
    Ive got a question about a benchrest gun I stumbled across at a local gun shop. Its a Kelby Panda polished action. Barrel is marked 6ppc .263 nk. It has SGY markings on the barrel. Topped with a 36br Leupold Scope. Looks to be in nice condition with no rough handling marks etc. I don't have a bore scope so I cant look inside the beast. The bolt face however appears to be as new. The barrel has a really cool looking swirl etching on it.
    Ive been out of the game for 10 years and have nothing but a rough idea as to what its worth. I figure it has to be an older gun as Speedy hasn't built guns in a while under SGY logo? This is not an old gun by its appearance and stock. The gun is on cosignment for 2g and the shop says there is NO wiggle room on the price. What say ye?

Wallydog
    That would be a good price if the barrel is not used-up. Bore scoping it should tell you if there's life left in the barrel.
    You didn't say what stock or trigger...Ö.if you consider the cost of an action, stock, Jewell trigger, rings, and the scope, I'd say it's a good deal. Price out the components and that should tell you what a replacement gun (new) would cost you.

Quote Originally Posted by lngrng View Post
    That would be a good price if the barrel is not used-up. Bore scoping it should tell you if there's life left in the barrel.
    You didn't say what stock or trigger...Ö.if you consider the cost of an action, stock, Jewell trigger, rings, and the scope, I'd say it's a good deal. Price out the components and that should tell you what a replacement gun (new) would cost you.
    I assume its a Jewell but didn't look. The stock looks like an SGY but its hard to tell exactly. The gun is part of an estate and its been sitting in the shop for a year.

If it has been sitting in the shop a year, that should tell you something.

The Panda is a great action. The SG&Y stock is a good design, sort of patterned after the original Borden Anamovich(sp) stocks of the early 2000ís.

The pattern on the barrel is one of Speedyís trademarks. The only way to really ascertain the barrels quality is to shoot the thing.

Is the Panda a standard Left load? Is it Left load/right eject.?

The scope is dated, but those older Leupold 36x scopes have great glass. The internals are solid, a tucker conversion fixís the one minor malady the had.

Take $1800 cash and see what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    If it has been sitting in the shop a year, that should tell you something.

The Panda is a great action. The SG&Y stock is a good design, sort of patterned after the original Borden Anamovich(sp) stocks of the early 2000ís.

The pattern on the barrel is one of Speedyís trademarks. The only way to really ascertain the barrels quality is to shoot the thing.

Is the Panda a standard Left load? Is it Left load/right eject.?

The scope is dated, but those older Leupold 36x scopes have great glass. The internals are solid, a tucker conversion fixís the one minor malady the had.

Take $1800 cash and see what he says.
    Im gonna go visit a buddy of mine tomorrow and beg his borescope. I got to see the throat first before I get excited. The bolt face is nearly pristine.
    Thanks Jackie

Panda action

The action serial number will tell you year of action manufacture, although nothing wrong with oldies. I still shoot my 88XX(1988) and 89XX(1989)

It will need a barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    It will need a barrel.
    Any idea of what brand barrel Speedy was selling most of Butch?

Shilen barrels. He put himself in the Bench Rest Hall of Fame with those barrels.

John

Good deal

$2k with scope is not bad at all even if itís in need of a barrel, but the rifle isnít the expensive part... itís the other equipment plus Bullets and powder! ;-)

accesories?

Quote Originally Posted by hayscott View Post
    $2k with scope is not bad at all even if itís in need of a barrel, but the rifle isnít the expensive part... itís the other equipment plus Bullets and powder! ;-)
    Used to shoot years ago. Still have 9lbs of 2005 n133. I used to make my own 6mm bullets too and have 900 or so laying around. Planning on shooting at my local club for the most part with an occasional trip to St.Louis maybe. My eyes were the reason I quit shooting before as they are truly a limiting factor. Im a 40 year retired tool and die maker and make a lot of my own stuff, BUT now I have something Ive never had before and that is time. Im gonna need a good front rest is about all and am thinking of making one.

Going to go and look at the throat tomorrow with a borescope. Gonna take 1800 with me and another 100 for the max Ill give.

Wallydog

I'd take an extra $200 in case the price is really firm and you find that it's in better shape than you think. You may not want to miss it for only $100.
    Dave

That sweetheart would have a new Sugar Daddy if I was near that gun store. Just sayin'.....

Good shootin'. -Al
    Last edited by Al Nyhus; 12-10-2019 at 08:07 AM.

The SG&Y

is speedy Gonzales and the pattern on the barrel is made by polishing the barrel, then putting on plastic mesh and bead blasting it. The mesh keeps the area under it bright producing the contrast. I'm with the previous poster to assume you will need to rebarrel it unless you can positively determine the current barrel is not shot out via a bore scope exam.

Went and saw!

Finally got my buddys Hawkeye borescope down the tube. The barrel is about at half life. Throat looked ok with even wear and no bad scrubbed out lands. The slightest heat checking just down from there. The barrel looked to be a cut rifle by the machine marks in the grooves but that is a guess. It has more scratch type machine marks than a typical button barrel. The action is from 2004 by serial number. Id say its been shot about 400-500 but Im guessing by past experiences. I am 5 hours drive from st Louis and 4 to Iowa matches. I have an old xp100 gun Ill probably just shoot in my local club match as I don't have a really good front rest and the eyes to think I can compete at 65 yrs old. If anyone is interested Ill take you to the gun and watch you spend your money on it. lol.

Wallydog