Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Chambering: indicate bore before threading and/or before reamer?

Amazing a couple of these folks ask a reasonable question! And then they argue over the answer they get back from some of most knowledgeable and friendly gents? Makes one wonder who is actually being an Ass it surely isn't Al or Butch could it be themselves.
    Last edited by Louis.J; 01-02-2020 at 02:24 PM.

Ohhh c'mon now Louis..... Butch Lambert is a total prick! He makes a real pest of himself calling me at the shop to help me wire a mill, calling to offer clear explanations re VFD's and DRO's for my old South Bend H10 .... AND the Bridgeport, calling AGAIN to offer his services in ordering some barrels, calling and texting and PM'ing to follow up about his tuners, his coaxial rest tops......

Yeahh, he's like a coon in the garbage can ol Butch..... just herkin' and jerkin' on the old chain and disrupting my life no end.....

jeeepers, i ain't NEVER called to bug him with MY expertise.....

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Louis.J View Post
    Amazing a couple of these folks ask a reasonable question! And then they argue over the answer they get back from some of most knowledgeable and friendly gents? Makes one wonder who is actually being an Ass it surely isn't Al or Butch could it be themselves.
    You can defend your buddies, but they were very rude to me numerous times for disagreeing. Not that you care, but you should be informed on their transgressions before you blast others.

I have been following all of the discussions and innocent you are not.

I have been following all of the discussions and innocent you are not.
    I’m with Louis it take two. You should really try and ignore if you get your feelings hurt.

Start from the beginning and see why I’m not a fan. Or don’t. Another ignore on my list like sidney above

I would encourage you to go back to the start and re-read all of your own posts I have. You are condemning some of the good folks here of what you yourself are guilty of just go back and have alook.

I would encourage you to go back to the start and re-read all of your own posts I have. You are condemning some of the good folks here of what you yourself are guilty of just go back and have alook.

Ohhh there ya' go again applying REASON and LOGIC and calm rational thought!!!

Louis, it's called a "persecution complex"..... certain emotional types are captured by it, certain cultures typify, embrace and live by it. AND, to further muddy the ointment, pointing it out will get you a verbal finger-wagging from all sorts of OTHER do-gooders, mostly state workers who've misunderstood too many HR classes .

I simply acknowledge it and no longer respond with reason as a person hanging on a martyr's cross is incapable of reason, and their perspective is always "higher than thou"

It's PHYSICS...... they're ABOVE the rest of us

LOL

(for all of you from Rio Linda, or The Middle American Heartbone, that's a form of HUMOR, look it up)

" Pretty funny that the three responses are all on my ignore list." If you don’t have an answer, than keep your mouths shut.

Mram10 you might want to go and re-check your Ignore Settings that feature doesn't appear to be working for you?

I put together a little data after chambering 6 barrels in the past couple weeks. Here is my setup and what I found.

1. Using Iscar tooling, the force on the barrel was moving it a bit in the chuck. Nothing moved more than .002” , but it did move. I ground a tool with HSS and got much less movement.

2. Drilling out the chamber moved it the most. Chatter is the enemp here. I checked the bore post drilling, and it moved .001 to .003, while the outside of the barre in the unturned surface moved <.001”

1 6.5 creedmoor Rem vt taper, moved .0015”
    2 6.5 creedmoor Heavy sporter barrel .000”
    3 35 When heavy sporter .002”
    4 300 wsm in hunter class .000”
    5 270 wsm in rem vt .001”
    6 30 br in Hunter class .000”

conclusion is, The lighter barrels move more in my setup, and everything needs to be checked post turning. Reducing chatter reduces movement, and using HSS over insert.

Ben
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8A322200-53E6-4A6B-AB98-40BB2296892E.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	23243   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23A94037-9A7A-4645-9FF6-530A200715FF.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	23242   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CEF236D3-3BD0-4CF5-80E8-7EF89D6D0026.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	23244   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5A2E5523-5C44-4B5D-86AF-56AD660BF740.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	23245   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	360F60AA-D209-4EE4-A067-1A6316924FD5.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	23246   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3E910676-5309-407C-BBD7-9B8C85EAF5E0.jpeg 
Views:	104 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	23247  

Quote Originally Posted by Bnhpr View Post
    I put together a little data after chambering 6 barrels in the past couple weeks. Here is my setup and what I found.

1. Using Iscar tooling, the force on the barrel was moving it a bit in the chuck. Nothing moved more than .002” , but it did move. I ground a tool with HSS and got much less movement.

2. Drilling out the chamber moved it the most. Chatter is the enemp here. I checked the bore post drilling, and it moved .001 to .003, while the outside of the barre in the unturned surface moved <.001”

conclusion is, The lighter barrels move more in my setup, and everything needs to be checked post turning. Reducing chatter reduces movement, and using HSS over insert.

Ben

this is why I quit using AL

Quote Originally Posted by bnhpr View Post
    i put together a little data after chambering 6 barrels in the past couple weeks. Here is my setup and what i found.

1. Using iscar tooling, the force on the barrel was moving it a bit in the chuck. Nothing moved more than .002” , but it did move. I ground a tool with hss and got much less movement.

1 6.5 creedmoor rem vt taper, moved .0015”
    2 6.5 creedmoor heavy sporter barrel .000”
    3 35 when heavy sporter .002”
    6 30 br in hunter class .000”

conclusion is, the lighter barrels move more in my setup, and everything needs to be checked post turning. Reducing chatter reduces movement, and using hss over insert.

Ben

yep,they will move

Quote Originally Posted by Bnhpr View Post

Ben
    I’d like to have seen how you ran the test. That is great to know. Thanks for taking the time

Quote Originally Posted by Mram10 View Post
    I’d like to have seen how you ran the test. That is great to know. Thanks for taking the time
    It’s not really a test. I just collected data from my normal checks after threading and cutting the bolt interface.

I put the indicator on three times, during barrel work, and once, facing off the action.

FWIW, the newer actions, the ones with the bar code, have been spot on. I’m not sure what remington has done, but their dimensional control is better it seems.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    this is why I quit using AL
    Using copper?