Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frozen Leupold 45X help

Iím not sure Bill Ackerman is still doing the scope repairs. I understand his daughter has taken over and is though. Still same business name and address.

loose lense ??

Calvin,

if you'll send the scope to me, I will tighten the lens for you at no cost to you except for freight charges both ways -- I have the tools because I always check the lenses for tight when I lock up a scope

contact me via email and we'll work it out

Gene

Gene....

Email sent...

Dang......what a pain

So I get a spanner wrench, and think this is a simple fix just by tightening the nut. WRONG.....

I turn and tighten the inner ring against the lens till it bottoms out then the lock ring. Lens is still loose.

Looks like it needs more work than just a simple tighten.

Now that I have moved the lens the side focus is all screwed up. That I can likely bring back but it is the loose lens that is a pain.

So, who works on these aftermarket, or who will work on these frozen scopes?

Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by CYanchycki View Post
    So I get a spanner wrench, and think this is a simple fix just by tightening the nut. WRONG.....

I turn and tighten the inner ring against the lens till it bottoms out then the lock ring. Lens is still loose.

Looks like it needs more work than just a simple tighten.

Now that I have moved the lens the side focus is all screwed up. That I can likely bring back but it is the loose lens that is a pain.

So, who works on these aftermarket, or who will work on these frozen scopes?

Calvin

Iím not sure if the 45x Leupolds have a nut on the inside of the sope to seat the lens against. They have to have someway to set the focus so it is timed with the knob on the side.If so, it might be loose.

The lens itís self might be bonded into a thread sleeve the way the older 36x scopes were.

Iím just thinking out loud. If it was mine, I would just unscrew the two outboard spanner nuts and see how the lens cartridge is mounted and positioned.

If Gene sees this thread, he can tell you exactly how the lens is backed up inside the scope tube.
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 03-10-2020 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CYanchycki View Post
    Well one of my biggest fears has come to light just as I was cleaning my rifle this evening.

I was cleaning the front scope lense and I could hear some sort of clicking sound resonating through the rifle. After some taping of the scope and rifle it appears that the front lense is loose.

This is a Leupold 45X with the Bukys freezing. I have no idea how long it has been like this or when it may have happened.

So who is the go to to have this looked at and repaired? Pretty sure Leupold Canada will not even entertain the thought of looking at it.

Calvin
    Calvin,

Please contact Dane Peterson at Leupold Service: dpetersen@Leupold.com

He's a very good guy to know at Leupold Service! Cannot guarantee he will work on a frozen scope, but, I have found him to be very, very helpful whenever I needed service with my scopes!

Jack