Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: On this annealing bidness

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    You seem to have the most in depth knowledge of anyone on here. You, for sure, are not a Sheeple and I appreciate your answer here. About where my thinking was at.

It really bugs me when people think they know what they are talking about when in reality they use what someone has told them as fact and admonish others who do not buy it. Like you imply, the sky is not falling.

Thanks Again,

Pete
    We agree on something.

One of the few thinkers left Mikey.
    Debatable...I'll leave it at that. How's that annealing going? If done, you just might be the smartest man alive...cuz you're still typing..
    Last edited by mwezell; 02-20-2019 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FBecigneul View Post
    And thereís Mike Ezell.
    Yep....with all his fingers, both hands and eyes.

Somebody please tell Pete itís primarily the shoulder that moves............before he hurts himself.

I had the thought the other day that it might not hurt anything to anneal brass most of the way to the case head. My thinking went to new cases; they must be soft when we fire them the first time,eh? So what would be harmed by returning them to where they were to begin with? Any thoughts?

I plan to try one when I get home.

Pete
    Pete, the flaw in your analogy is cases are NOT soft as you get closer to the head. There is a very specific heat treat of the entire case upon manufacture, the the neck and shoulder are then annealed to soften that particular area.

The strength is in the web area. Do not disturb this.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    Pete, the flaw in your analogy is cases are NOT soft as you get closer to the head. There is a very specific heat treat of the entire case upon manufacture, the the neck and shoulder are then annealed to soften that particular area.

The strength is in the web area. Do not disturb this.
    Finally an explanation even Pete will understand.

case head

We at Lake City, hit the case head twice with a pocket operation and a heading operation on 7.62. Both operations were a punch and die setup. Quality would check head hardness every shift. If you had soft heads you changed the punch. But it might be a furnace problem. There was always more than one variable. But that's how we ran 7.62 in the ice age I aint got a clue what they do now. Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Casner View Post
    We at Lake City, hit the case head twice with a pocket operation and a heading operation on 7.62. Both operations were a punch and die setup. Quality would check head hardness every shift. If you had soft heads you changed the punch. But it might be a furnace problem. There was always more than one variable. But that's how we ran 7.62 in the ice age I aint got a clue what they do now. Doug
    Thank You!

kewl

I want elastic not plastic deformation of the case body upon firing. No, or minimal springback, would not be a desirable characteristic of the body of a cartridge IMO....safety aside.
    Last edited by rardoin; 02-21-2019 at 03:34 PM.

Well

referring to the base web area as hard is a relative thing. We are talking about cartridge brass not steel. However Jackie summed it up....the case maker hardens the brass case variably along it length. The "hardest" part is the base area. Just don't mess with it IMO.

a learning experience

I remember when Pete blew up a primer seater using primers that the instructions said not to use in that tool. That was a learning experience. Thanks to Pete we now know it is possible.

I had the thought the other day that it might not hurt anything to anneal brass most of the way to the case head. My thinking went to new cases; they must be soft when we fire them the first time,eh? So what would be harmed by returning them to where they were to begin with? Any thoughts?

I plan to try one when I get home.

Pete
    The heads are almost always way harder than the neck and shoulders.

That is why they can safely contain 50,000+ PSI range pressures.

well and the fact that they are a lot THICKER
    might have something to do with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by brickeyee View Post
    The heads are almost always way harder than the neck and shoulders.

That is why they can safely contain 50,000+ PSI range pressures.

If

Lee would only tighten up the tolerances and make their primer tool out of decent material that lasts it would be a winner. For me, K&M.

lee's very early hand priming tool has a screw in steel shell holder, pot metal body and handle.
    they work great i have a stack of them, dedicate one to a rifle and never look back.

the later tray tool had a thin shell holder "roof" and they would pop loose with use. they improved the roof thickness and those work pretty well also. tho the plastic tray and guide are not perfect at all.
    i have not used the new current SAFETY design.
    i did pay 20 bucks for a sinclair in 308 case head/small primer that i use..not bad for 20 bucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by glp View Post
    Lee would only tighten up the tolerances and make their primer tool out of decent material that lasts it would be a winner. For me, K&M.