Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F y i

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    Looks like something can be worked out .

Pete
    Took another look at the spider/adapter situation and think I can make it work. There are three holes on the back and near the edge of the adapter that appear to be for a 9mm socket head screw. I'm assuming those are to bolt on a chuck. As the spider is flat on both sides I'll machine off the boss on the face of the adapter and drill and tap three holes in the back of the spider to connect the two. A little tricky trying to find a position where the holes in the adapter won't interfere with the bolts in the spider but I think i'll have enough clearance. Alternatively, I could cut a recess in the back of the spider to mate with the boss on the adapter. Might be better to cut the aluminum of the spider rather than the cast iron of the adapter.
    Last edited by adamsgt; 12-09-2018 at 01:11 AM.

If you can cut the recess for the adapter boss, you will be able to use smaller and less bolts as the boss will be aligning and supporting the spider.

Quote Originally Posted by MilGunsmith View Post
    If you can cut the recess for the adapter boss, you will be able to use smaller and less bolts as the boss will be aligning and supporting the spider.
    Yeah, I was thinking that. I think I was just trying to get away from mounting my four jaw chuck.

Thanks

The 4 jaw chuck is on my lathe the most. Use that or collets. It doesn't take long to indicate in your work if you do it enough. The trick is to use two chuck keys at the same time, one tightens while the other loosens. Been doing it that way for 40 years. It also keeps the non machinists from using the lathe😊

Quote Originally Posted by MilGunsmith View Post
    The 4 jaw chuck is on my lathe the most. Use that or collets. It doesn't take long to indicate in your work if you do it enough. The trick is to use two chuck keys at the same time, one tightens while the other loosens. Been doing it that way for 40 years. It also keeps the non machinists from using the lathe😊
    Helluva trick. You talked me into mounting the 4 jaw. Now I gotta get me another chuck key.