Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soldering a lug.

Quote Originally Posted by Dans40X View Post
    Brickeyee,
    Though inert,Nitrogen is not conducive w/ a TIG welding operation as Argon & Helium are among some other gas mixes.

It's not my first rodeo,in the field or at the bench.
    Now I'm really confused.... which surface is getting purged?

I gathered that the point for purging would be the interior of the barrel to prevent scaling. Choosing the proper direction of DC current flow on the tig would also help. +/- one puts more heat at the weld the other in the torch. just can't remember which is which ( old age) I always have to look it up ( same with a dc stick) Can't remember the newer nomenclatures either such as mgaw ect.

alinwa,
    Inside of the Bbl is purged aka first pass for certified pipe welding before the stick monkey's have at it.
    The TIG torch has purge to keep atmosphere out of weld puddle & the tungsten electrode of which is shrouded/directed by a ceramic or alumina or pyrex cup.

blades,
    Purging- argon or helium - will keep the atmosphere/hydrogen off of the back side of the base/parent material.

One does not have the option to reverse the polarity with a TIG welder as you would have with a stick operation.
    DCSP- electrode NEGATIVE.(steel,stainless,titanium,inconel,monel etc)
    DCRP- electrode POSITIVE.(brass,copper etc)(4X electrode diameter required)
    AC Hi Freq- aluminum,magnesium.
    Last edited by Dans40X; 11-30-2018 at 05:57 PM.

Brickeyee,
    Though inert,Nitrogen is not conducive w/ a TIG welding operation as Argon & Helium are among some other gas mixes.

It's not my first rodeo,in the field or at the bench.
    You are purging the interior of the barrel.

It does not matter since you are welding on the exterior of the barrel.

brickeye,
    You are purging the interior of the barrel.-YES.

It does not matter since you are welding on the exterior of the barrel.-
    You haven't a CLUE !

brickeye,
    You are purging the interior of the barrel.-YES.

It does not matter since you are welding on the exterior of the barrel.-
    You haven't a CLUE !
    You seem tyo have no idea what you are doing.
    If you wanted to attempt to weld a barrel foot on a 1911 barrel the welding is occurring on the OUTSIDE of the barrel.

The purge would be to prevent oxidation from heat on the INSIDE of the chamber.

The purging gas will not be anywhere near the welding.

brickeyee,
    WOW,there are 'smiths & there are 'plumbers-
    Proceed as you wish to weld a Bbl lug/Foot on any Bbl.

I will continue to PURGE the inside along with TIG torch cover gas to keep the atmosphere from raising carbon, not oxidation.
    (Hydrogen in the atmosphere is NOT your "Allie" during any welding process)

Google-
    Certified TIG Pipe welding to further your pre-school education on the procedure(s).

brickeyee,
    This will really put you in a tail spin-

One can easily "BRAZE" w/ a TIG torch using aluminum or silicon bronze filler wire.
    NO flux is used/required.
    Cover gas from the TIG torch keeps the atmosphere at bay.
    YES,a purge gas on the back side will keep the atmosphere(hydrogen) from contaminating the parent & raising carbon.

TIG Welded cast iron valve seats built up & work hardened/recut seat angle(s) will last lifetimes.

It's not my first rodeo,that was 40 years ago!

I used to design welding procedures in glove boxes (some rather large ones) to completely control the welding environment.

I allows welding on some very much different metals with much better quality.

Like titanium.
    Otherwise a real PITA to make welds than are not glass brittle and crack during cooling.
    Last edited by brickeyee; 12-08-2018 at 03:41 PM.

Angry Ol' Beggs again.

To quote Strother Martin in the movie, "Cool Hand Luke." "What we have here is failure to communicate."

Mr Brickeyee, you are evidently an expert in your field as evidenced by some of your comments, especially the one where you say,

"I used to design welding procedures in glove boxes (some rather large ones) to completely control the welding environment."

That tells me you are a retired engineer from a very technical field that included not only welding equipment but a great deal about metallurgy as well. Am I right?

I for one have enjoyed watching you make a fool of yourself by trying to advise a man that is, without a doubt, the best in the world at tig welding the handles on bolt action rifles!

But with that being said, don't worry man; we still love you!

We just have to have a little fun with someone of us once in a while. Am I right guys?

Later,

Gene Beggs

Gene Beggs,
    + +

Brickeyee,
    I too have fabricated PURGE TANKS w/ dedicated/sealed torch set ups.

Purge Tanks are the ONLY option by my standards to TIG weld Titanium,Inconel,Monel.

Keep the atmosphere out of your welds & breathe the <20% O2 around you.

Exclamation Hey Brickeyee,,,

,,,I hope I didn't run you off by poking a little fun at you about trying to advise Dans 40X.

You're too valuable and knowledgeable to lose. We benchresters need all the help we can get in trying to unlock nature's secrets of extreme rifle accuracy. We've made lots of good progress in recent times and that's reflected in the aggs and match results.

Hope you will stay with us and join in on all the conversations.

Later,

Ol' Man Beggs