trigger occasionally not set on bolt closing

rsmithsr

target rifle in a rest, maybe 1 in 10 , on bolt closing does not set trigger,
recent development
so what do i adjust first ??
pull weight , sear engagement///?????/
sear is not staying in the engaged position
help

so the maker called today and suggested adding weight to pull.
so i did that and it worked, so now a 7oz TRIGGER instead of 2-3 it was before.
it worked for a long time in the prior config...would really like to know what changed.

Last edited:
so the maker called today and suggested adding weight to pull.
so i did that and it worked, so now a 7oz TRIGGER instead of 2-3 it was before.
it worked for a long time in the prior config...would really like to know what changed.
What brand trigger?

OP,
Since you needed to ask-

You should have sought a professional from the get go,as your first attempt was pure luck.

OP,
Since you needed to ask-

You should have sought a professional from the get go,as your first attempt was pure luck.
i asked both places at the same time..i am not a gunsmith, but have built national championship rifles.
i am aware of some lack of knowledge, so i ask.
i am still wondering what changed it worked for close to six months with no issues. is it possible to get it back to 2-3 oz or am i stuck in 7 oz world?

i asked both places at the same time..i am not a gunsmith, but have built national championship rifles.
i am aware of some lack of knowledge, so i ask.
i am still wondering what changed it worked for close to six months with no issues. is it possible to get it back to 2-3 oz or am i stuck in 7 oz world?
Pretty sure if it's suppose to be capable of 2 oz, something is not right in the adjustment process. Do you have their written directions?

i bought the rifle used, so no paper instructions..
the bad news is the online instructions do not address sear engagement, one of the reasons i asked here.
so any input as to process/order of steps..how to get back down low.

Have you cleaned the trigger? If not that would be the first thing to do before readjusting to a heavier pull weight when a lighter pull weight was working. Adjusting the trigger was a band-aid.

Simple-
Purchase,have installed,have adjusted a Bix-n-Andy Competition trigger group.

Place the Basix(JUNK) on an anvil & accelerate a 4Lb sledge hammer upon the trigger group to take it out of circulation.
maybe you can provide a source for a SAVAGE MODEL 12 BA TRIGGER ????...
I can deal with savages red blade triggers, but this rifle came with the trigger...to my knowledge no one makes a really nice trigger for the savage single shot actions

I only have experience with Jewell triggers for benchrest rifles so please take this into consideration when you read my advice.
A couple of things may be causing the trigger not to reset. One is grease or oil on the sear surfaces of the bolt and/or the trigger. Another is a weak trigger return spring in the trigger itself. Try disassembling the trigger and gently stretching the spring a little. Another cause may be worn or improperly modified trigger sear surfaces. Even a trigger that looks clean may harbor a tiny piece of grit inside. You may have to disassemble the trigger and clean each piece with lacquer thinner or a similar strong solvent. If all else fails go to a graveyard at midnight, swing a dead cat by the tail over your head and fling it as far as you can while chanting "Cat, cat be of life absolved and my trigger problems be solved." It helps if the graveyard is an old sacred Indian burial ground, there is a full moon and the chant is in Latin.

"Cat, cat be of life absolved and my trigger problems be solved." It helps if the graveyard is an old sacred Indian burial ground, there is a full moon and the chant is in Latin.
Dr. Tim, that's an excellent tutorial. I'd add that if it's a Savage trigger, burying it in said graveyard and then turning three complete revolutions counter clockwise over the remains will positively cure it. Out here, we'd use the Lakota chant "Hunka junka peeca tatanka* crappa".

*bison

Last edited:
gentlemen, i agree on the triggers, but my budget does not always allow for pure top end parts for recreational toys. having tried to make savage off the shelf rifles shoot well, i gave up and sold most of those ( one left), but the single shots are another story, not br quality but very dang good. i have 2 in 308 one a short range build..say out to 600 with 800 possible and then this is my attempt to shoot a 308 well at 1000 yards . the short range one is 1/2 moa at 600, and just over 1/4 moa at 300..without a br scope. i think i would be happy with a red blade but have not tried to find one..yet..thanks for the humor

Back