Railguns

drknite

I know absolutely nothing about rail guns. I am hoping someone with experience with these can help me. Until today I have been under the assumption that rail guns were not allowed in rimfire benchrest shooting. You know what they say about assuming. My take on rail guns were the best ones pretty much shot one hole groups on a regular basis. Under this assumption why do you not see more of them in that discipline. I understand that moving them from bench to bench would be a pain, but if they can traverse a target and shoot accurately I can't figure out why I don't see more of them.

They are allowed in some RF sanctions. ARA & PSL for sure. It took me a couple of years to sort one out to shoot RF with. Not worth the effort. The main issue is the "vibration" dampening. Think of the impulse energy generated from a quick 15K psi chamber pressure. That pulse travels on the barrel, through the action, into the "stock", to the rest, and eventually the ground and reflects back until it dissipates. It varies in speed in different media (19000 fps in steel) as well as reflecting some at every joint. You end up with a mess of "vibrations". The best deal is to attenuate and or time them to cancel or coincide at a precise time. The RF has 2.2 ms of barrel time and a CF is 1.25. A "hard" railgun requires strategic design and assembly to deal with these issues. It is much harder to get a RF to shoot with that platform due to the long barrel time. It has been tried enough times with little success. If your sanction allows it, have at it. Your competition will be glad you did. But you never know, you might come up with a "better" mousetrap.

No no Mr Jerry. You got it wrong. I have two benchrest rifles. I didn't realize the inherent problems with using a rimfire cartridge in a railgun. I was just wondering. Thanks for the explanation.

Mr. Wilber I understand. I recently purchased a Cliff Arnold rest. It is a work of art. Would also like to say Mr Arnold was great to deal with.

20170410_143417_LLS_resized_2.jpg
I made a sleeve from a 1.250 barrel to slip fit over the .900 barrel and J-B'd the sleeve to the barrel.
The sleeved barrel is mounted in the v block and torqued to 40 in. pounds.
Shoots great.

Last edited:
Gene - Is that a rimfire gun?

Really nice lookin' rail!

Wilbur...Yes it is. Rail is RFD. Turbo action, Benchmark 2 groove barrel, Langley trigger.
Legal for ARA unlimited.
Same gun I use in NBRSA Unlimited......... just put the 6 ppc barreled action back into the v block.
Gene

Mr. Gene that is a very interesting rail gun. I have a friend from Nevada coming to shoot in the Arizona state match. He is telling me that the guy to beat shoots a rail gun. I have a feeling he is referring to you.

Wilbur...Yes it is. Rail is RFD. Turbo action, Benchmark 2 groove barrel, Langley trigger.
Legal for ARA unlimited.
Same gun I use in NBRSA Unlimited......... just put the 6 ppc barreled action back into the v block.
Gene

Hello Mr Gene, is it very common to see others shooting the same design rail you do? Ie a centerfire style rail..

Hello Mr Gene, is it very common to see others shooting the same design rail you do? Ie a centerfire style rail..

No it is not common. Probably because of cost. A basic new railgun minus the barrel, action, trigger, and scope will set you back about $2500. A new Pappas rest runs about $750.

Way baqck when

B puput 4 ni finallyew maqde up 4 new ri8mfire barrelsmmadeack in 80s i put 22 centerfire barrel on young rail for rimfire shot ficochi one hole at 50yds at jo0hnson city tn sold gun 4 yrs ago i made up 4 rimfire barrels two wks ago iput one o0ld rail i won natlsw with shot group in with eley black box in ones and also ficochi in 26 inch barrel rails will shoot

First rim fire rail

mr. Gene that is a very interesting rail gun. I have a friend from nevada coming to shoot in the arizona state match. He is telling me that the guy to beat shoots a rail gun. I have a feeling he is referring to you.
shot many years ago in tn.bill rail had center fire bb with his own designed chamber from daviff it was unbelieveable

hello mr gene, is it very common to see others shooting the same design rail you do? Ie a centerfire style rail..
i used my young rail in rimfire nationals at johnson city tn 20 yrs ago worked fine with centerfire barrel shot terrific with ficcochio

If you have little to no gunpowder at all in your shell, your gun won't need cooler pieces; it won't need to cool down between shots at all. Thus, with enough stored energy in the magnets (the bits next to the firing piece), depending on the energy used per shot you can fire every single shell you have loaded all at once.

For example, if you have 2 magnets for 10,000 energy stored, and use 1000 energy per shot, you can fire 10 shells all in the span of like, half a second. This is super useful for both getting through an enemy's LAMS defense, and for boring holes into enemy armor relatively quickly.

Another thing you can do with railguns is, like mentioned, using 0 gunpowder in a shell. This means that combined with a shell that is pure kinetic, your gun has absolutely 0 chance of exploding if any of the loaders or clips get destroyed, without needing ammo ejectors.

You can combine all of this for really effective CIWS throwing pure kinetic heavy head shells at small diameters very quickly, most useful for anti-missile or CRAM defense. Swap the heavy head out for AP or sabot for "sandblaster" rounds more suitable for stripping armor due to their high AP.

Rimfire Rail; Gun

I have been shooting mine for two years now
Hausecuster rail with a 2500X action
Barell is mounted in a delrin sleeve
Don Nielson helped me put it together
hq4vK1sl.jpg

Dan

If you have little to no gunpowder at all in your shell, your gun won't need cooler pieces; it won't need to cool down between shots at all. Thus, with enough stored energy in the magnets (the bits next to the firing piece), depending on the energy used per shot you can fire every single shell you have loaded all at once.

For example, if you have 2 magnets for 10,000 energy stored, and use 1000 energy per shot, you can fire 10 shells all in the span of like, half a second. 1717 This is super useful for both getting through an enemy's LAMS defense, and for boring holes into enemy armor relatively quickly.

Another thing you can do with railguns is, like mentioned, using 0 gunpowder in a shell. This means that combined with a shell that is pure kinetic, your gun has absolutely 0 chance of exploding if any of the loaders or clips get destroyed, without needing ammo ejectors.

You can combine all of this for really effective CIWS throwing pure kinetic heavy head shells at small diameters very quickly, most useful for anti-missile or CRAM defense. Swap the heavy head out for AP or sabot for "sandblaster" rounds more suitable for stripping armor due to their high AP

I appreciate the information! I'm relatively inexperienced when it comes to railguns, but I'm curious if you could provide some guidance.
Would you recommend the Cliff Arnold rest?

Back