Project RFBR Rifles

tonykharper

This is the time of the year to build your project rifle for next summer shooting season.

I shoot Rimfire Bench Rest, so I build RFBR rifles every winter as a hobby. I realize there are many different disciplines in rimfire shooting and they all have their own requirements.

Regardless of the discipline there no better way to become familiar and comfortable with your rifle than to build it, or at least part of it, to your own requirements.

Many have said let your smith decide what components to use and let him build what he knows best. There is a lot of wisdom in that. But there is also a downside. You are the owner/shooter, some of that rifle has to reflect you, or you are just using someone else's creation. I did this for a long time, and I enjoyed my wins, but none measured up to the wins I achieved with rifles where I made a significant input into those builds.

Now I'm not saying you have to be your own machinist or your own stock maker. These are specialized skills and there is no doubt a professional will turn out a better product than a guy trying to do it for the first time.

What I am saying is you the owner/shooter should study your discipline and find out what is working best. Find the ones that fit your shooting abilities and use those components. This includes finding the right smith and stock maker to put your project together.

Of course, it is better the more of the project that you can do for yourself.

If you have machinist skills it is not that hard to learn to thread, chamber, and crown your own barrels. If you have woodworking skills, you can build yourself a great stock. Learning to bed an action isn't that hard you just have to be willing to do it.

Sure. you are going to have some that don't come out great, but you will learn from those mistakes and be able to correct them on the next one.

In the long run the more you put into the sport the more you will get out of it.

If you have a build going on now or plan to please use this thread to share your ideas and progress.

Here are some pics of my project rifles.

TKH

Attachments

• turbologo.jpeg
    turbologo.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 109
  • turbologo 2.jpeg
    turbologo 2.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 109
  • goat311.jpeg
    goat311.jpeg
    50.2 KB · Views: 107
  • me2.jpeg
    me2.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 107
  • rosewood1.jpg
    rosewood1.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 106
  • pun6.jpg
    pun6.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 109
  • jackl.jpeg
    jackl.jpeg
    46.4 KB · Views: 107
  • jackh.jpeg
    jackh.jpeg
    43.8 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Nice thread Tony.

I have some machinist facilities and also some knowledge but, Portuguese law doesn't allow me to do any barrel/action work. That's why I have to rely on gunsmiths.
However, I do choose my components.

As the thread is for the ones that could built a rifle, I'll be passionate to learn what others are doing, thinking or trying.

Pedro,
Great hearing from you. Hope you had a merry Christmas.
I have to admit you have excellent taste in gunsmiths.
Wishing you be another successful shooting year in 2024.

TKH

Thanks a lot Tony.
Well, things are not really great around here (family health issues), but I'll try the best.

Indeed, I have great gunsmiths!

Tony, those rifles are past projects. Whatcha' working on this winter?
Nothing planned here except may try another sporter barrel should one show up.
Keith

I’m building another Turbo V3 on a Rotex low profile stock now. I’ve done the action and I’ll be doing the barrel soon. Then I want to do a little work on that Sporter I bought. It needs a little more head space but I also want to check the chamber.
Im also doing a few outside barrels that should keep me busy.

I get bored when the weather is bad.

You do know about the matches at Piney Hill in February don’t you? Think you will make it down?
TKH

I’m building another Turbo V3 on a Rotex low profile stock now. I’ve done the action and I’ll be doing the barrel soon. Then I want to do a little work on that Sporter I bought. It needs a little more head space but I also want to check the chamber.
Im also doing a few outside barrels that should keep me busy.

I get bored when the weather is bad.

You do know about the matches at Piney Hill in February don’t you? Think you will make it down?
TKH
I wasn't aware of anything in particular going on at PH. Hadn't checked the 50/50 site until you mentioned this but nothing up yet. I'm guessing 10 shot? In any case, not likely to make anything in February.
You mentioned "outside" barrels. Do you have specific inside & outside barrels? I only ask as I think I may have an "inside" barrel I was going to convert into a scope stand, lol.

I wasn't aware of anything in particular going on at PH. Hadn't checked the 50/50 site until you mentioned this but nothing up yet. I'm guessing 10 shot? In any case, not likely to make anything in February.
You mentioned "outside" barrels. Do you have specific inside & outside barrels? I only ask as I think I may have an "inside" barrel I was going to convert into a scope stand, lol.
Sorry for the lack of clarity. Most of the gunsmithing work I do is for my project rifles. But sometimes I do favors for friends. I call that outside work. An example was the rifle I took to Piney Hill for sale. It was the Black Turbo. The guy that did that beautiful stock, polished the action, and fitted the barrel didn't have time to finish it so I finished it so it could be sold for the owner. The owner's situation changed from the time he started the build to the time it was completed. It happens.

There is a Triple Deuce match at Piney Hill 17 Feb 2024.

There may also be a sporter triple deuce match the following day.

TKH

I know you are one of the best so why not take on a challenge and build and tune a v22s Vudoo? If any one can do it, you could.

I know you are one of the best so why not take on a challenge and build and tune a v22s Vudoo? If any one can do it, you could.
I appreciate the compliment, and the confidence, but that may be a challenge I'm not up to.

There was a time when I wanted to try every serious RFBR action that came out. I've had multiple copies of most of them.

When I studied the Vudoo I managed to hold back from buying one because of the actions design. I don't like the large diameter barrel tenon, the pinned trigger, or the welded two-piece action body. There are other actions available that don't share these features.

Don't take me wrong, I'm not saying the Vudoos aren't good, and I'm certainly not saying they can't win. We have all seen that anything can happen in RFBR.

What I am saying is for the few rifles I build; I want them to perform to a very high level. So, I'm going to stick with what I know.

When I see a superior execution or design, I'll give it a try. I would love to get my hands on a Flavio Fare rimfire action. It may or may not be better than what I'm using now but I would really like to try one.

TKH

They aren't easy to get...
I'm looking for one too.
For those that may not have seen a Flavio Fare rimfire action here is a pic. The design was done a few years ago.

Here is hoping Flavio decides to build a run of these.

TKH

Attachments

• Flavio Fare Action.jpeg
    Flavio Fare Action.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 110
This is the time of the year to build your project rifle for next summer shooting season.

I shoot Rimfire Bench Rest, so I build RFBR rifles every winter as a hobby. I realize there are many different disciplines in rimfire shooting and they all have their own requirements.

Regardless of the discipline there no better way to become familiar and comfortable with your rifle than to build it, or at least part of it, to your own requirements.

Many have said let your smith decide what components to use and let him build what he knows best. There is a lot of wisdom in that. But there is also a downside. You are the owner/shooter, some of that rifle has to reflect you, or you are just using someone else's creation. I did this for a long time, and I enjoyed my wins, but none measured up to the wins I achieved with rifles where I made a significant input into those builds.

Now I'm not saying you have to be your own machinist or your own stock maker. These are specialized skills and there is no doubt a professional will turn out a better product than a guy trying to do it for the first time.

What I am saying is you the owner/shooter should study your discipline and find out what is working best. Find the ones that fit your shooting abilities and use those components. This includes finding the right smith and stock maker to put your project together.

Of course, it is better the more of the project that you can do for yourself.

If you have machinist skills it is not that hard to learn to thread, chamber, and crown your own barrels. If you have woodworking skills, you can build yourself a great stock. Learning to bed an action isn't that hard you just have to be willing to do it.

Sure. you are going to have some that don't come out great, but you will learn from those mistakes and be able to correct them on the next one.

In the long run the more you put into the sport the more you will get out of it.

If you have a build going on now or plan to please use this thread to share your ideas and progress.

Here are some pics of my project rifles.

TKH
I help with the Benchrest.com website. May I use this information and pictures in our Seasoned Shooters Tips Page?

Tony, I'm afraid not in our time...
Spoken some time ago with them, and the market is too small to produce them again. They are full speed on triggers and CF actions.

Back